Darryl Blackstock Signed

HoosierCat

Last year the Bengals signed center Alex Stepanovich, an RFA the AZ Cardinals didn't consider worth a tender offer.

This year, the Bengals are reportedly interested in LB Darryl Blackstock, an RFA the Cardinals didn't consider worth a tender offer.

The agent for linebacker Darryl Blackstock said Miami and Cincinnati are interested in the free agent, to whom the Cardinals declined to make a tender offer.

“If they want him, he’d definitely consider it,’ Brad Blank said of a possible return to Arizona.

But, “I don’t see it as likely. If they are interested, they should let me know.”

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/110288

There's the Bengals' FA strategy we all know and love... :beer:

Last year the Bengals signed center Alex Stepanovich, an RFA the AZ Cardinals didn't consider worth a tender offer.

This year, the Bengals are reportedly interested in LB Darryl Blackstock, an RFA the Cardinals didn't consider worth a tender offer.

The agent for linebacker Darryl Blackstock said Miami and Cincinnati are interested in the free agent, to whom the Cardinals declined to make a tender offer.

“If they want him, he’d definitely consider it,’ Brad Blank said of a possible return to Arizona.

But, “I don’t see it as likely. If they are interested, they should let me know.”

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/110288

There's the Bengals' FA strategy we all know and love... :beer:

You're raiding my local Arizona papers for this news!

If we can get Blackstock for cheap, I really wouldn't mind the move. He was a great player in college (I know he went to Virginia, and I think he played with Brooks), and if he's chap he's at least a good backup. I would definitely rather have him as a backup than Miller or Schlegel, and Landon is probably a goner, so more insurance is necessary. I'm still holding out hope that Odell and Brooks can stay healthy and out of trouble and can start at the same time, but I'd like this move.

I would definitely rather have him as a backup than Miller or Schlegel, and Landon is probably a goner, so more insurance is necessary.

I'm no longer so sure that Landon is a goner. There really doesn't seem to be much of a market for LBs outside of Calvin Pace this year. Demorrio Williams barely got over $3 million a year and he's arguably a better backer than Landon. I thought for sure Landon would land something in the $4-5 million range but now it looks like he'd be lucky to get half of that. In which case (assuming the Bengals' reported lowball offer didn't totally p*ss him off) he could end up back here.

Regardless of Landon's situation, we still need better backups. Schlegel's way too slow, Miller's way too small. Landon, on a good team, is a good backup, but he'll probably start again if he's back.

From Mark Curnette...

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Bengals like LB Blackstock

Division rivals Cincinnati and Cleveland are in the hunt to sign Arizona outside linebacker Darryl Blackstock, a restricted free agent with the Arizona Cardinals, a source told The Enquirer late Friday night. He was a 2005 third-round pick from the University of Virginia, but the Cardinals declined to give him a qualifying offer as a restricted free agent, so the Cardinals are not entitled to match any offer he would receive and would not get draft-pick compensation from a new team.

The Bengals lost starting linebacker Landon Johnson to the Carolina Panthers on Friday. Johnson agreed to terms on a three-year deal for $10 million.

Blackstock is 6 feet, 3 inches, 244 pounds, and he is listed as an outside linebacker. He has played in 44 games over three seasons with one start. In 2007, he played in all 16 games for Arizona with no starts. He had 21 total tackles, three sacks and one forced fumble.

Miami also was interested, but Blackstock is most interested in the Bengals and Browns at this point.

Bengals public relations also confirmed a visit by former Colts and Bills defensive tackle Larry Tripplett.

This would be a very good pickup, IMO. I was impressed with Blackstock the handful of times I saw him play last year.

Division rivals Cincinnati and Cleveland are in the hunt to sign Arizona outside linebacker Darryl Blackstock, a restricted free agent with the Arizona Cardinals, a source told The Enquirer late Friday night. He was a 2005 third-round pick from the University of Virginia, but the Cardinals declined to give him a qualifying offer as a restricted free agent, so the Cardinals are not entitled to match any offer he would receive and would not get draft-pick compensation from a new team.

The Bengals lost starting linebacker Landon Johnson to the Carolina Panthers on Friday. Johnson agreed to terms on a three-year deal for $10 million.

Blackstock is 6 feet, 3 inches, 244 pounds, and he is listed as an outside linebacker. He has played in 44 games over three seasons with one start. In 2007, he played in all 16 games for Arizona with no starts. He had 21 total tackles, three sacks and one forced fumble.

Miami also was interested, but Blackstock is most interested in the Bengals and Browns at this point.

Bengals public relations also confirmed a visit by former Colts and Bills defensive tackle Larry Tripplett.

Not sure what they've got here as it's fair to say I've lost track of Blackstock since he was drafted. But I liked him then and if it's fair to say he disappointed in Arizona, and it is, it's just as fair to say he's young enough and talented enough to deserve a second look and a second chance in a different system.

All things considered, replacing Landon Johnson was probably just this easy.

Worst-case scenario is that Blackstock provides proven depth on a unit with a ton of question marks. If he can step up into a starter's role, tee-riff. Plus it gives the Bengals more flexibility in the draft's middle rounds. Nothing to get excited about IMO but a good move nonetheless

Yeah, right now I doubt they're looking at Blackstock as a true starter. More like a situational pass rusher/special team player who backup multiple positions. But he's just 24 and I like the idea of giving Fitzgerald, the new LB coach, a project to develope....because that's exactly what he kept doing over and over again for the Ravens.

The small hidden bonus part of this - this signing does not negatively impact our chance to earn a 2009 comp pick for losing Landon because this guy was not a UFA but rather a RFA.

RFA's do not impact that equation.

Had he been a UFA - we'd probably lose the 6th or 7th round comp pick we'd otherwise be due for losing Landon

Not a biggie, but hey, Housh was a 7th rounder and Terrel Davis and Tom Brady were 6th rounders.....

According to his agent, the Bengals have agreed to terms with former Cardinals linebacker Darryl Blackstock, a 6-3, 240-pound college teammate of current Cincinnati middle linebacker Ahmad Brooks.

Brad Blank wouldn't reveal terms Monday, but said his client was impressed with head coach Marvin Lewis and the Bengals defensive coaches during his visit last week that followed a trip to Cleveland.

The Bengals don't confirm deals until they are signed.

Blackstock, 24, a three-year backup in Arizona, has two NFL starts and 44 tackles in 46 career games with four career sacks. While Brooks played inside the University of Virginia's 3-4 defense, Blackstock was an edge rusher for the Cavaliers at outside linebacker before Arizona drafted him in the third round in 2005.

Blackstock

As the Bengals did to wide receiver Tab Perry, the Cardinals chose not to tender him an offer as a restricted free agent, making him an unrestricted free agent. He had 21 tackles and three sacks this past season as a backup strong-side linebacker and nickel pass rusher. He had the Cards' lone sack in the 35-27 victory over the Bengals back on Nov. 18.

Blackstock could get looks at both outside backer spots and as a nickel rusher.

Perry is reportedly in Green Bay on Monday for a visit.

The small hidden bonus part of this - this signing does not negatively impact our chance to earn a 2009 comp pick for losing Landon because this guy was not a UFA but rather a RFA.

RFA's do not impact that equation.

Had he been a UFA - we'd probably lose the 6th or 7th round comp pick we'd otherwise be due for losing Landon

Not a biggie, but hey, Housh was a 7th rounder and Terrel Davis and Tom Brady were 6th rounders.....

I think that's only true if he was tendered and his previous team declined to match. When he wasn't tendered, he became the equivalent of a UFA and does count as an offset if Stepanovich or Miller or some such gets a similar contract.

This is a decent signing. He is not going to come in and be Urlacher or Lewis but he will fare better than Schlegel or the next round of guys off the street.

He does not seem to have a bad injury history and has been effective in spots.

If we combine a higher talent level, across the board, with a better scheme and <crossed fingers> a healthy start, we just might see this D improve.