Cincy Bengals Trivia

DDOGG

1. What NCAA Division III school did former QB Kenny Anderson and DB Kevin Kaesviharn attend?

Augustana College

Youngstown St.

Mt. Union College

Georgetown College

2. In the Bengals first Superbowl appearance after the 1981 season(SB-XVI)what was the nickname given to the Defensive line?

BREW

WEBB

BREWS

WEBBS

3. Arguably the worst trade in Bengals history, the Bungals sent Charlie Joiner to San Diego for whom?

Coy Bacon

Rufus Mays

James Brooks

Vernon Holland

4. Long-time Bengals guard and color commentator on Bengals radio, Dave Lapham once blocked for what famous RB when they were teammates for the USFLs New Jersey Generals?

Kelvin Bryant

Herschel Walker

Eric Dickerson

Tony Dorsett

5. What former WWF pro wrestler played for the Bengals during the strike games of 1987?

Macho Man Randy Savage

Flyin' Brian Pillman

Wildfire Tommy Rich

Sergeant Slaughter

6. In Super Bowl XXIII following the 1988 season, which Bengals DB dropped an easy interception on San Francisco's final drive, that if intercepted, would have secured the win for Cincinnati?

Darrell Williams

David Fulcher

Eric Thomas

Lewis Billups

7. When the Bengals began play in 1967, the stadium PA announcer roamed the sidelines behind the Bengals bench. What is the name of the original PA announcer for the Bengals?

Tom Kinder

John Walton

Paul Summercamp

Brad Johannson

8. All-Pro Defensive Lineman Mike Reid retired to pursue a career in what field?

Motion Picture Director

Architecture

Assistant Coach at Penn State

Concert Pianist

9. What Cincinnati Bengal is responsible for the tackle that basically ended Bo Jackson's career?

Jason Buck

Steve Tovar

Lewis Billups

Kevin Walker

10. Riverfront Stadium was dubbed "the Jungle" in the late 1980s by a group of 4 guys from Wilmington, Ohio. What hard rock group provided the musical inspiration behind "The Jungle".

Aerosmith

Poison

KISS

Guns 'N' Roses

1. What NCAA Division III school did former QB Kenny Anderson and DB Kevin Kaesviharn attend?

Augustana College

Youngstown St.

Mt. Union College

Georgetown College

2. In the Bengals first Superbowl appearance after the 1981 season(SB-XVI)what was the nickname given to the Defensive line?

BREW

WEBB

BREWS

WEBBS

3. Arguably the worst trade in Bengals history, the Bungals sent Charlie Joiner to San Diego for whom?

Coy Bacon

Rufus Mays

James Brooks

Vernon Holland

4. Long-time Bengals guard and color commentator on Bengals radio, Dave Lapham once blocked for what famous RB when they were teammates for the USFLs New Jersey Generals?

Kelvin Bryant

Herschel Walker

Eric Dickerson

Tony Dorsett

5. What former WWF pro wrestler played for the Bengals during the strike games of 1987?

Macho Man Randy Savage

Flyin' Brian Pillman

Wildfire Tommy Rich

Sergeant Slaughter

6. In Super Bowl XXIII following the 1988 season, which Bengals DB dropped an easy interception on San Francisco's final drive, that if intercepted, would have secured the win for Cincinnati?

Darrell Williams

David Fulcher

Eric Thomas

Lewis Billups

7. When the Bengals began play in 1967, the stadium PA announcer roamed the sidelines behind the Bengals bench. What is the name of the original PA announcer for the Bengals?

Tom Kinder

John Walton

Paul Summercamp

Brad Johannson

8. All-Pro Defensive Lineman Mike Reid retired to pursue a career in what field?

Motion Picture Director

Architecture

Concert Pianist

9. What Cincinnati Bengal is responsible for the tackle that basically ended Bo Jackson's career?

Jason Buck

Steve Tovar

Lewis Billups

Kevin Walker

10. Riverfront Stadium was dubbed "the Jungle" in the late 1980s by a group of 4 guys from Wilmington, Ohio. What hard rock group provided the musical inspiration behind "The Jungle".

Aerosmith

Poison

KISS

Guns 'N' Roses

#1: Augustana.

#2: I don't know.

#3: Rufus Mays?

#4: Herschel Walker.

#5: I hate fake wrestling. I'm proud not to know.

#6: Lewis Billups.

#7: I was eight years old then. I'm lucky to remember my dogs name from that era.

#8: Mike Ried not only became a concert pianist, he also became a published country songwriter.

#9: I'm guessing Walker?

#10: Guns and Roses.

Darrell Williams

David Fulcher

Eric Thomas

Lewis Billups

I am so sick of so-called bengal fans perpetuating this myth. That dropped INT by Billups did not occur on the last drive. It occurred at the end of one of San Francisco's drives that began in the 3rd quarter. There was lots of time left in the game. It would not have secured anything. I don't know why so many bengal fans have such foggy memories and seem to go along with this made-up scenario.

Don't know how many times I have had to correct people on that.

• 1 year later...

Darrell Williams

David Fulcher

Eric Thomas

Lewis Billups

I am so sick of so-called bengal fans perpetuating this myth. That dropped INT by Billups did not occur on the last drive. It occurred at the end of one of San Francisco's drives that began in the 3rd quarter. There was lots of time left in the game. It would not have secured anything. I don't know why so many bengal fans have such foggy memories and seem to go along with this made-up scenario.

Don't know how many times I have had to correct people on that.

Not a Bengals fan, but I have to completely disagree with you saying that missed INT was inconsequential to the outcome of that Super Bowl & that it would not have secured anything.Are you kidding me? You're correct in that it wasn't on the final drive, but it WAS the direct difference between leading 16-6 in the final seconds rather then 16-13.It was on the 1st play of the 4th qtr, & completely affected the scoreboard & the momentum for both teams.The 49ers had registered 2 FG's prior to that play,despite moving effectively at times, & everyone who watches football knows there's a HUGE difference between even getting a FG instead of a TD, psychologically for both the respective offenses & defenses.Well, the 49ers should have been turned away with NOTHING on that Series.While the Bengals still held a 3 pt lead on the last 49er drive, the 49ers began it knowing they could tie the game with a FG & did not have to begin thinking they had to have a td.They started the last drive just trying to work the ball into position for 3 pts, but started thinking td as they get closer & closer against Cinci's prevent D.The 49er defense had shut the Bengals down for the most, yet the Bengals likely would've won the game despite getting no offensive td's(their only td came from special teams.)In short, there is no winning drive without that mistake.The strategies of both teams are different.The killer was that SF tied the game on the next play when they should've been on the sidelines in frustration, with a WASTED opportunity even for a FG.Cinci's D was also in over their heads, they needed all the stops they could get.I actually think that play gets UNDERPUBLICIZED, if anything, concerning that game.

Augustana College

Youngstown St.

Mt. Union College

Georgetown College

BREW

WEBB (Whitley, Edwards, Burley and Browner)

BREWS

WEBBS

Coy Bacon

Rufus Mays

James Brooks

Vernon Holland

In all fairness to Coy Bacon, he had the unofficial record for sacks with 22 in 1976(?) but that was when the team kept the stats and not the league. He got a little bit of pub in 2001 when Micahel Strahan broke Gastineau's "record" of 22. I guess he was more of a one hit wonder whereas Joiner didn't really excel until the whole Air-Coryell thing got going in SD a few years later.

Also Joiner was acquired by the Bengals from the Oilers for RB Fred Willis(?) in the early 70's so we weren't the only dummies. I think he may have been dealt while Bill Walsh was an assistant with SD before he got the SF job.

Kelvin Bryant

Herschel Walker

Eric Dickerson

Tony Dorsett

Macho Man Randy Savage

Flyin' Brian Pillman-(former Norwood Indian also)

Wildfire Tommy Rich

Sergeant Slaughter

Darrell Williams

David Fulcher

Eric Thomas

Lewis Billups-I think the interception actually occurred on one of the last plays of the third quarter. Jerry Rice scored on the next play. SO it is not on the game winning drive like everyone thinks.

Tom Kinder-I believe he just died a couple of years ago and his son is now the PA announcer. Also he is the guy that Sam Wyche took the microphone from when he uttered his famous, "You don't live in Cleveland" rant. Also the Bengals first year was 1968 not 1967.

John Walton

Paul Summercamp

Brad Johannson

Motion Picture Director

Architecture

Concert Pianist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Reid_(American_football)

Jason Buck

Steve Tovar

Lewis Billups

Kevin Walker

Aerosmith

Poison

KISS

Guns 'N' Roses

• 1 month later...

The answer to 2 is acutally WEB, not WEBB.

It was a 3-4, and the 3 DL's were Eddie Edwards, Wilson Whitley and Ross Browner, thus W - E - B.

I thought #9 was Tovar?

I can see the play in my mindseye like it was yesterday.

Here are a couple of extra trivia items:

11: Which Bengals kicker holds the record for most misses in a season?

a. Breech

b. Pelfrey

c. Rackers

d. Graham

12: Who was the opponent when Corey Dillon set the single-game rookie rushing record?

a. Cleveland

b. Denver

c. Detroit

d. Houston

13: In what year did the Bengals debut the "striped" helmet?

a. 1980

b. 1981

c. 1985

d. 1987

It was a 3-4, and the 3 DL's were Eddie Edwards, Wilson Whitley and Ross Browner, thus W - E - B.

I thought #9 was Tovar?

a. Breech

b. Pelfrey

c. Rackers

d. Graham

12: Who was the opponent when Corey Dillon set the single-game rookie rushing record?

a. Cleveland

b. Denver

c. Detroit

d. Houston

a. 1980

b. 1981

c. 1985

d. 1987

Are you forgetting Gary Burley on No. 2? I remember that they messed around with the 3-4 for a period but I thought when they first got Ross Browner (1978?) they were running the 4-3. Been so long ago it's kinda fuzzy at this point.

a. Breech

b. Pelfrey

c. Rackers-Not sure, just an educated guess!

d. Graham

a. Cleveland

b. Denver

c. Detroit

d. Houston-Thursday Night game at Riverfront if I remember correctly.

a. 1980

b. 1981-Back at the inception of the team, I've seen a photo of Paul Brown with what looks like a white helmet with "parallel" stripes on it. But it didn't officially change until 1981.

c. 1985

d. 1987

I thought #9 was Tovar?

a. Breech

b. Pelfrey

c. Rackers

d. Graham

a. Cleveland

b. Denver

c. Detroit

d. Houston

a. 1980

b. 1981

c. 1985

d. 1987

Are you forgetting Gary Burley on No. 2? I remember that they messed around with the 3-4 for a period but I thought when they first got Ross Browner (1978?) they were running the 4-3. Been so long ago it's kinda fuzzy at this point.

a. Breech

b. Pelfrey

c. Rackers-Not sure, just an educated guess!

d. Graham

a. Cleveland

b. Denver

c. Detroit

d. Houston-Thursday Night game at Riverfront if I remember correctly.

a. 1980

b. 1981-Back at the inception of the team, I've seen a photo of Paul Brown with what looks like a white helmet with "parallel" stripes on it. But it didn't officially change until 1981.

c. 1985

d. 1987

I had a poster that only had the WEB. It was from Home City Ice or something like that. No Burley on it.

you nailed the rest of them. Was at that Oiler game when Dillon went ape-tit. was awesome.

I've got one for you. When the Bengals were in the planning stages, the current tiger striped uniforms were considered. Paul Brown considered both versions of the uniform, then chose the first version we all associate with the early Bengals. Why?

It was as close to the Browns uniform as possible, to piss off Modell.

I've got one for you. When the Bengals were in the planning stages, the current tiger striped uniforms were considered. Paul Brown considered both versions of the uniform, then chose the first version we all associate with the early Bengals. Why?

Sounds good to me. I would've done the same thing.

Sounds good to me. I would've done the same thing.

I always heard that he chose the name Bengals so he could use the leftover hats from his days in Cleveland that said "CB".

paulbrown1968helmets.png

Here's the picture I was referring to up top.

I had a poster that only had the WEB. It was from Home City Ice or something like that. No Burley on it.

you nailed the rest of them. Was at that Oiler game when Dillon went ape-tit. was awesome.

I think Burley was part of that for a while too but may not have been included when they went to the 3-4.

This link was on a post by Army a few years back.
/>http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/College-Hall-Calls-Two-Bengals/6lSMc-BjVkWeRlT8SnvFgg.cspx

Yeah Dillon's break-out game was against the Oilers. I think we had a guy named Ki-Jana Carter that was supposed to be the featured back but he all but disappeared after this game.

Could be, as I believe Paul Brown's hatred for Art Modell had unexplored depths. "Hatred" is probably too weak a word for the emotion Paul had towards Modell. But a book I recently read claimed that Paul Brown liked the tiger stripes (it all goes back to Massilon), but felt that bad football teams looked particularly foolish if they wore gaudy or flamboyant uniforms. Since he knew his expansion team would suck in the beginning, he wanted to protect his players from as much ridicule as he could, so the went with very blah uniforms.

Regarding his belief that they would be bad: Paul Brown won almost every battle he fought with the NFL, the competition committee, etc. One he did not win was over the terms of the expansion draft when the Bengals came into the league. He liked the expansion terms given to his predecessors. But the owners changed the terms they gave to the Bengals, and Paul felt he wasn't given a chance to be competitive with the depth-only guys he was given a crack at. He tried like hell to get a better deal on players, but he failed.

But the owners changed the terms they gave to the Bengals, and Paul felt he wasn't given a chance to be competitive with the depth-only guys he was given a crack at. He tried like hell to get a better deal on players, but he failed.

Why? Did Modell have that much clout? Jesus, it's like dealing with toddlers when it comes to the NFL and owners, only the owners still wear diapers and have more snot running our their noses.

Damn ya'll are old!

Last year I took my kids to learn to ski. I've never done any winter sports, and wanted to get them into something I never had a chance at. So I take them to the hill, and the guy there talks me into learning snowboarding while my kids are learning to ski.

I learned, it wasn't hard. So I'm at the top of the easy hill, feeling pretty good about myself. Then I almost fall into some kid, he looked to be in his early 20s. I go, "sorry about that."

The kid was real nice about it, and he said, "no problem, Pops, no problem."

Wow! I suddenly realize that this kid sees me as pretty much an old man. I sat there for a while and thought about it. I'm 47. My hair's half grey. I thought about how I've lost most of my speed. My 9 year-old daughter, who is fast, can probably beat me in a footrace. I haven't dunked a basketball in probably 15-20 years. I've actually shrunk at least an inch. I'm barely 6'3" tall now, used to be over 6'4". My spine is held together with a plate and a bunch of screws from all the stupid crap I did when I was young. One of my ankles was broken so many times it doesn't work right, so when I jog the best I can do is 11 minute miles.

I sort of went through the whole midlife crisis thing right there in about ten minutes. No sports car or mistress needed. Reflected on it and accepted that my youth was gone, and that most of what I had pursued during that youth hadn't brought me any fulfillment and was completely worthless. I kind of welcomed the idea that my main purpose in life was now as a father to those two little kids sliding around down the hill, with all the work, being a good husband, etc, thrown in there pretty much to facilitate the father/provider thing.

Then, although I can't specifically remember it, I must have thought something like, "This was a pretty profound moment, I think I'll wait about a year, then write an anonymous post about it on an internet message board dedicated to a small market pro football team. That seems like the proper outlet for these ruminations."

So yea, old, and pretty much broken down. But happy about it.

Sorry Army, gotta go double gramps here. :gramps::gramps:

I pictured you (COB) as either a younger college student or someone in their late 20's. Weird.

Kids are the greatest. My three year old daughter is an angel. I also give her the things that I never had. She's so spoiled. I value every second that I spend with her.

Give us some newer-school trivia please...