2 nd Round Linebacker

Wraith

Hell yes to both. Two of my favorite guys in the draft. Speeeeed.

Hobson said something about expecting Rivers to be ther ein the second, but that seems a little ridiculous to me.

Highsmith and Adibi seem a little too small for our defense. He'd be a great in Indy. I though we generally like bigger LBs, or at least bigger than 220 something.

I wouldn't mind either though, just not sure we would pick one of them. Or they'd be told to bulk up and lose some speed.

Others in the mix: Quentin Groves (too light, will drop), Cliff Avril (DE-OLB), Curtis (Okla) & Mayo (TEN). That kid from EKU will probably be their in the 3rd (Jones)

What about Henderson from Maryland? I saw him rated in the top 5 at OLB

Bingo!!!! He'd be a hell of fit

Henderson is 6'3" and 242 lbs. That is more the size of a guy the Bengals are looking for. In fact he is even 7 lbs heavier than the 6'3" 235 Keith Rivers. Another one of the intriguing guys might be Beau Bell from UNLV at 6'2" and 248 lbs. He was the Mountain West Conference defensive player of the year. Some say he looks a little stiff and is more of a straight head LB, but maybe he could be either taught up or moved from OLB to inside backer in a 3-4. He could be had in maybe the third round depending on how he performs at the combine.

IMHO, the first two picks should come from among these position groups: DE, DT, or OT

LB should not be addressed until third round at the earliest, in part because we have so many of them returning from injury or suspension. The third pick should probably come from whatever position group was not addressed in rounds 1-2 of the ones I listed above.

In the perfect world,LB is addressed by the r3 compensatory pick I am confident we'll get for losing Steinbach or in r4.

You did watch last years team didn't you? We had to start Robert Geathers at OLB last year because we didn't have any other bodies on the team. sure, if you want to gamble that we have a healthy (mentally and physically) Thurman, Brooks, and Pollack then we don't have LBer needs. I understand that we need to address the D-Line but we also have to have an impact LBer in this draft and third might be too late, though I am still a fan of Crable should we play a base 3-4.

have to have an impact LBer in this draft and third might be too late

I'd say we need a couple of impact lineman MORE than we need an impact LB - and to turn around your statement, 3rd may be too late to get the second one

No, I don't think the Bengals will have as many injuries this year. It was freakishly bad......pretty unlikely we will go through that many injrues at the LB spot this year, simply on pure probability

Yes, but do we know that those injuries won't carry forward this season? Do we know that Brooks is healthy (or can play at this level at all)? Do we know that Thurman is right? Do we know if Pollack is going to play? Baring that do we have a single SSOLB on the team? I hope the coaches have some answers to those questions but even they cannot predict how Pollack is going to react to his first training camp hit or if Thurman can keep his head on straight or for that matter whether Ahmad Brooks can play NFL football.

If everything goes right, Thurman and Pollack both play to their potential and Brooks can translate his physical prowess to the field, the Bengals have one of the strongest Linebacking corps in the league but we must plan worst case scenario and that means drafting a Linebacker in the first 2 rounds.

Henderson and Highsmith didn't look good in Indy, per SN...

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=360042

LSU linebacker Ali Highsmith had a tough day. He turned in terrible 40 times (high 4.9s/low 5.0s) and was slow and stiff in drills. . . .

Maryland linebacker Erin Henderson was not impressive. He did not show quickness or burst in his drills, and he was too upright, which affected his ability to adjust and change direction. . . .

Draftdaddy says the Bengals are one of several teams high on Jon Goff, second round would be too high for him tho...

Former Vanderbilt middle linebacker Jonathan Goff told one of our sources that his interviews were "off the charts" with New Orleans, Cincinnati, Oakland, Tampa Bay, and St. Louis. He said he came away feeling that he may go a bit higher than he first thought.