Chatman re-signed - 2yrs

TJJackson

Chatman in fold

By GEOFF HOBSON

February 21, 2008

Updated: 2 p.m.

INDIANAPOLIS _ Early notes Thursday from the NFL scouting combine:

With free agency starting a week from Friday, the agent for wide receiver Antonio Chatman says his client has re-upped with the Bengals.

Mark Mersal said Thursday that Chatman, 29 last week, has a two-year agreement in place after two frustrating seasons in Cincinnati hampered by injury. A groin injury limited him to just three games in 2006 and some hamstring problems cut into his training camp time last year. He caught 19 balls for 149 yards in '07 while returning 18 punts for 93 yards and a 5.2-yard average.

Those are numbers Mersal thinks can balloon now that he's healthy.

"He can be a Wes Welker type of guy for the Bengals," Mersal said of the 5-8 Chatman. "He's had a lot of positive feedback from Marvin Lewis and (wide receivers coach) Mike Sheppard. He's very comfortable there."...

I think it's hilarious (but sad and real) that the agent compares him to Wes Welker.

Uhm, sure buddy.

Yeah he's small and slow like Wes. But did he go for 100+ catches like Wes? Or will he?

Give me a break.

As long as the signing bonus is small and the salaries are vet mins, no issue. When healthy, he is a decent (not good, not great) #3 or #4 receiver.

I think it's hilarious (but sad and real) that the agent compares him to Wes Welker.

Uhm, sure buddy.

Yeah he's small and slow like Wes. But did he go for 100+ catches like Wes? Or will he?

Give me a break.

As long as the signing bonus is small and the salaries are vet mins, no issue. When healthy, he is a decent (not good, not great) #3 or #4 receiver.

Sports Agents, I put them guys in the same category as used car salesmen they are snakes and will talk anything up even if they know it's a lemon. I can smell the stinch coming from the t.v. everytime I see Drew Rosenhaus on t.v. talking, it seems like you have to be the worst of the worst to be a real good agent. Who he should have compared him to is Chris Perry, they both show signs that they can help the Bengals but they don't play enough for you to get a accurate scouting report on them.

(((Shrug)))

The reasons for signing him now are the same as they were two years ago. The Bengals desperately need a smaller faster option who can play the slot in matchups that don't favor a bigger wideout. Chatman fits the profile perfectly on paper, but for two seasons has never come close to being the answer as the 4th WR or in the PR role. So it's yet another move that makes sense, but doesn't satisfy....because it answers the question being asked with even more questions.

Good move. We don't have another WR who can do the things he can. We missed that dimension last year, and have been for a while now. Just need him to stay healthy. Plus, he's probably the fastest guy on the team...at least according to his teammates. And Glenn Holt sucks- whoever mentioned his name.

I think it is sad that I am not repulsed by this signing. Our depth at WR is shallow (remember how much we struggled with not have Henry.) Glenn Holt is great for who he is...an undrafted son of a football player. I am glad Holt is a Begal because he is fun to watch play, despite a couple of fumbles that he made on ST plays that he shouldn't have been playing in the first place (if people like Chatman and Perry weren't hurt.) At least Chatman knows the system and is a veteran.

I still expect one or even two (we have compensation picks) WRs to be drafted this year. So maybe Chatman won't make the team. Or maybe he'll pull his groin and be out all year.

Ugghhh, with both Moss (no way could the Bengals land) and Stallworth on the open market, I would

have preferred the Bengals wait a bit to go after Chatman. If you are a bad or mediocre team you should

be hesitant and careful of signing too many of your own players.

I guess I am still waiting on the big blowup.

I'm not necessarily against giving him another look, whatever, if he can stay healthy, but don't understand why the Bengals are so quick to sign so much of this fodder before free agency begins and the draft takes place. I would like to know what they're paying him. Should've kept Walter.

If you are a bad or mediocre team you should

Yeah, except Chatman wasn't a part of those bad or mediocre teams. He's been hurt. I could argue that not having him is one of the reasons we were bad or mediocre.

...except that there is really no substantial evidence to back that claim. Chatman was part of a mediocre Packers team. He did not really stand out there, either. Not having Chatman is far more marginal than not having Henry. That claim can be substantiated by stats and production.

to your point about having noone who can do what he does, my reply is that Skyler Green did exactly what chatman does.

to your point about Chatman being the "fastest" Bengal, my reply is that CJ, DeDe and Joseph might claim otherwise.

If you are a bad or mediocre team you should

Yeah, except Chatman wasn't a part of those bad or mediocre teams. He's been hurt. I could argue that not having him is one of the reasons we were bad or mediocre.

...except that there is really no substantial evidence to back that claim. Chatman was part of a mediocre Packers team. He did not really stand out there, either. Not having Chatman is far more marginal than not having Henry. That claim can be substantiated by stats and production.

to your point about having noone who can do what he does, my reply is that Skyler Green did exactly what chatman does.

to your point about Chatman being the "fastest" Bengal, my reply is that CJ, DeDe and Joseph might claim otherwise.

I'm just repeating what other players on the team have said.