Bengals RFA Tenders

HoosierCat

Bengals have 4 RFA's this offseason:

DE Jonathan Fanene (originally a 7th round pick)

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (7th)

OT Adam Keift (5th)

WR Tab Perry (6th)

The RFA tender amounts & compensation if another team signs the RFA and we didn't match:

Low: $970,000 - Draft pick in round drafted (if not drafted, no compensation)

Med: $1.47 million - 2nd round pick

High: $2.017 million - 1st round pick

Premium: $2.562 million - 1st & 3rd round pick

Even if we give them all the minimum tender, that still soaks up the better part of $4 million in cap space & available FA funds.

Me, I would tender Fanene at the $1.47 (2nd round comp) level and Perry at the $970,000 number. Keift and Fitz can walk.

OT Adam Keift (5th)

WR Tab Perry (6th)

The RFA tender amounts & compensation if another team signs the RFA and we didn't match:

Even if we give them all the minimum tender, that still soaks up the better part of $4 million in cap space & available FA funds.

Me, I would tender Fanene at the $1.47 (2nd round comp) level and Perry at the $970,000 number. Keift and Fitz can walk.

I agree completely. Keift does not appear to be able to get healthy and I never was really behind the Fitzpatrick thing. Fanene is a need in that rotation and I still don't want to give up on Perry. If he's able to put together a full season at KR and on teams generally it will have justified the tender.

OT Adam Keift (5th)

WR Tab Perry (6th)

I agree completely. Keift does not appear to be able to get healthy and I never was really behind the Fitzpatrick thing. Fanene is a need in that rotation and I still don't want to give up on Perry. If he's able to put together a full season at KR and on teams generally it will have justified the tender.

Bo Jackson I mean Tab Perry can go too, I don't know if it's the last name or what but the Bengals don't seem to be having that much luck with the Perry's. Good luck Tab Perry thanks for your service, he had a great return against Pittsburgh but I don't want him returning kicks next year hopefully we will get somebody that's capable next year.

Put me in the camp that wouldn't bother offering anything to Tab Perry. Regardless of the promise that he oh so briefly flashed the truth is he's never played a substantial role within the Bengals pass offense, and his health issues practically dictate the Bengals look for another WR who can fill the 4th WR role.

As for Fanene, the strongest thing he has going for him is the ability to play in either scheme. So yeah, I've got no problem with that one.

I'm not overly attached to Tab, I was just thinking of his usefulness on STs. But if he were not in stripes next season I don't think I'd shed any tears. As for Fanene, $1.5 million is almost certainly "overpaying" him, but with B-rob gone and Justin going, I don't think you can risk losing him, too.

I'm not overly attached to Tab, I was just thinking of his usefulness on STs. But if he were not in stripes next season I don't think I'd shed any tears. As for Fanene, $1.5 million is almost certainly "overpaying" him, but with B-rob gone and Justin going, I don't think you can risk losing him, too.

I'll bet the Bengals put $1.5 mill on Fanene and nothing for the others. Just can't see it especially since they have a bigger than normal draft this year given their position at #9, plus the extra picks they will soon get.

My guess of the players walking this FA season:

Antonio Chatman

Landon Johnson

Kyle Larson

Caleb Miller

BRob

Justin Smith

Madieu

Tab

Kieft

This means next year for compensatory, should get good returns for Justin, Landon & Madieu. Another draft with 10 picks in 2009?

Fitz needs to stay. he is the difference between 8-8 9-7 and 3-13 and I realize that some of you would just assume flush away a season if we are not playoff bound but we are trying to change the preception of this team and slipping back to "top five" land would just tell other players around the league that this is a one man band.

Fitzgerald - had some quality starts for the Rams. 2nd round tender suffices, though.

Fanene - the team knows if he is healthy or not, and if he is working to get stronger and more durable. He's produced when given a chance and when healthy, so it really comes down to Health. Expect a 2nd round tender if they feel he is on the healthy train, and no tender if not.

Kieft - no one will want this risk. They'll offer him min salary w/no sb, and he'll be happy to get it, just to see if he can get through camp and maybe onto the practice squad.

Tab - same answer as Fanene, more or less, albeit Tab was OUTSTANDING in 2005. Still, that's two years back.

Fitz needs to stay.

The problem is he doesn't want to stay....unless he's had a change of heart since being traded for. Realistic or not, he still has hopes of finding a job that will result in some playing time or a starting role. So regardless of what the Bengals want they have to know Fitzgerald can gain his freedom after this season, and as a result can't be counted on as a potential long-term backup in the same ways that Jeff Rowe and Jordan Palmer can. And there's the rub because no team wants to spend two years developing a backup QB...only to watch him leave.

Personally, I thought Fitz showed a little something with the Rams, and now that he knows the Bengal playbook he's potentially more valuable than ever. But c'mon....they need sombody in that role who has more than a year remaining on his contract.

Tab needs to be let go, and Fanene is the only one I'd be concerned about keeping. Fanene is a beast if he stays healthy and is an ideal rotational player - one of the few on this team who can penetrate and get to the QB, not just try to out-run everyone.

Thing about Perry is he's just too lanky/awkward and doesn't know how to take a hit or fall - every time I see that guy go down or run I cringe because his legs and hips are out flailing all over the place. I would put good $ on him getting injured again in due time next year if he were to come back. He's a WR in a TE's under-developed body and that probably won't ever change, and one of the reasons he fell in the draft and didn't play as much in college.