FA agent pick up

combatbengal

first, Rod Coleman, alge Crumpler and Byron Leftwich were all released this morning from Atlanta.

second, Danimal I notice you were into a splice case on you photo as a former owner of a fiber network in Butler County I am interested, who do you work for. I am interested because I want to find out whats going on with my former company and have been kept out of the loop since I left in April.

My opinion? Pick up Corey Williams (DT from GB) in free agency, draft Derrick Harvey with the #9 pick - and this defense goes from terrible to middle of the pack... just like that. The Bengals secondary is decent, if they could get pressure on the QB. Geathers, Williams, Peko, and Harvey would be a great front four.

That of course leaves the LB problems... but I'm tired of watching this D-Line year in and year out. Get it fixed.

derek, who are you trying to kid? The secondary is decent? They didn't cover anybody all year and couldn't tackle anybody to save their life! Glen Dorsey will probably be gone before we draft. I say we try to draft Vernon Gholston (OSU), sign Z. Thomas, and Alge Crumpler. Wishful thinking, I know!

My two cents...

The secondary has the potential to be decent. There is talent there, two young CBs, one of whom was a rookie last year and another was only in his second year. Not helped out by Dexter at all and only sporadically by Madieu. Two more rookies look likely to start at the safety positions next season. Now, they'll probabaly get burned again next year, as the secondary, filled youngsters or vets, has been for the past few years. Why? Absolutely F all pressure on the QB from the front 7.

Sure, we had a glut of turnovers in '05 but we weren't what could be called stout, even then. How was our front 7 in terms of pressuring the QB? A rookie MLB was as successful, if not moreso, than anyone else in that regard.

The Giants' secondary was nothing more than middling to average, minus Ross, but RW f**king McQuarters still managed to not totally s**t the bed. He didn't have to cover an NFL reciever for more than 5 seonds - an impossible task - due to a front 4, nevermind front 7, who could get after the QB.

Get the lines up to snuff on both sides of the ball and we'll be able to do something with all the fancy Dans at the skill positions.

@ derek - I would love us to get Williams from GB.

Get the lines up to snuff on both sides of the ball and we'll be able to do something with all the fancy Dans at the skill positions.

OMFG. A man living on another freakin' continent grasps the concept of how to build a winning NFL football team, yet here I am buried up to my ass in American wankers who still insist we must draft/sign running backs, tight ends, wide receivers, cornerbacks, etc. that will do nothing to fix the core problem.

Jesus...why does the short bus always let out here... <_<

OMFG. A man living on another freakin' continent grasps the concept of how to build a winning NFL football team, yet here I am buried up to my ass in American wankers who still insist we must draft/sign running backs, tight ends, wide receivers, cornerbacks, etc. that will do nothing to fix the core problem.

Jesus...why does the short bus always let out here... <_<

Even Ronnie Lott and Herb Adderly would get burned in our secondary. Just isn't possible to actually "cover" a WR for more than 3 or 4 seconds, especially with the limp-wristed rules in place now.

A TE would rully help us in converting third downs on offense but that's it. Linemen, a LB maybe and a TE who can catch (in the later rounds) will do me.

If we have a strong defensive line and the secondary still sucks, then it's time to address that area.

I am so sick of hearing how a pass catching TE would help this team so much, my head is just about to explode.

This team seldom throws to the capable TE's that they have and it hardly ever throws to a sure handed FB, someone explain to me how signing a TE that is more geared towards pass catching than blocking is going to help this Offense if they dont first change thier MO?

That said I would be very happy if they would go out and sign Crumpler. He is one of a very few TE's that is a solid down field threat and is not a liability in the running game. Reggie Kelly and Crumpler made a very nice rotation a few years ago in Hotlanta.

OTOH I am just fine with Kelly staying our #1 TE and either Coats or another youngster rotating in,

I for one have rarely been dissapointed by Kelly when they have decided to throw his way.

I just read the following:

Coach Marvin Lewis defined the defensive line, offensive line and running back as the Bengals' areas of need this offseason. Here are the top prospects at defensive end, defensive tackle, guard, offensive tackle, center, running back and tight end,

according to NFLDraftScout.com:

Defensive end

1. Chris Long, Virginia

2. Vernon Gholston, Ohio State

3. Derrick Harvey, Florida

Defensive tackle

1. Glenn Dorsey, LSU

2. Sedrick Ellis, Southern Cal

3. Kentwan Balmer, North Carolina

Guard

1. Branden Albert, Virginia

2. Roy Schuening, Oregon State

3. Eric Young, Tennessee

Center

1. Mike Pollak, Arizona State

2. Steve Justice, Wake Forest

3. John Sullivan, Notre Dame

Offensive tackle

1. Jake Long, Michigan

2. Ryan Clady, Boise State

3. Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

Running back

1. Darren McFadden, Arkansas

2. Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

3. Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

Tight end

1. Fred Davis, Southern Cal

2. Martellus Bennett, Texas A&M

3. John Carlson, Notre Dame

derek, who are you trying to kid? The secondary is decent? They didn't cover anybody all year and couldn't tackle anybody to save their life! Glen Dorsey will probably be gone before we draft. I say we try to draft Vernon Gholston (OSU), sign Z. Thomas, and Alge Crumpler. Wishful thinking, I know!

I would argue that the Bengals secondary is better than the Patriots. The difference is that their D-Line gets pressure on the QB without even needing help from blitzing LB's. That's all I'm saying. Get this D-line fixed, the LB's will look better, and the secondary will look like pro-bowlers. The problem is, it's going to take both big $$ and early draft picks to fix just the D-Line, and that is certainly not the only area of need. Just the most important (in my opinion).

P.S. How the hell does Marvin not list LB as an area of need? Do the Bengals currently have any starters on the roster?

P.S. How the hell does Marvin not list LB as an area of need? Do the Bengals currently have any starters on the roster?

I guess he's counting on Thurman's return, and playing right back at his previous level.

I really hope Thurman comes back and plays at the level he was at. Looks as if we passed up on Z. Thomas.

Former Miami Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas is scheduled to visit with the New Orleans Saints on Tuesday reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter. The Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills and New York Jets are also interested in bringing Thomas in for a visit.