This might not be a bad pick for us.

combatbengal

The NFL Draft order isn't completely set, but many of the underclassmen who intended declare for the draft have done so at this point.

It's never too early to take a look at how the draft might shake out if it were held tomorrow.

Rivals.com asked its NFL Draft partner - Frank Coyle of draftinsiders.com - to put together a first-round mock draft with comments.

Enjoy.

1. Miami (1-15)

The Pick: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

The buzz: The Dolphins begin the Parcells era with a 'winner' at the game's most important position.

2. St. Louis (3-13)

The Pick: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

The buzz: Dorsey is a dominant inside force that is much needed along the Rams front four.

3. Atlanta (4-12)

The Pick: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas*

The buzz: The Falcons must rebuild, especially at QB, but McFadden would be too good to pass on here.

4. Oakland (4-12)

The Pick: Chris Long, DE, Virginia

The buzz: Al Davis might continue the old Raider lineage with this selection.

5. Kansas City (4-12)

The Pick: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

The buzz: The Chiefs are a total offensive disaster this season, and the quarterback spot is their highest priority.

6. N.Y. Jets (4-12)

The Pick: Jake Long, OT, Michigan

The buzz: The Jets want to land a blue-chip offensive lineman, and Long is a fine bookend tackle.

7. New England (From San Francisco (5-11))

The Pick: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami*

The buzz: The Patriots are looking for another impact defender in their changing secondary.

8. Baltimore (5-11)

The Pick: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami*

The buzz: The Ravens want one of the top two quarterbacks, but may have to draft into other deep areas of this class.

9. Cincinnati (7-9)

The Pick: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State*

The buzz: The Bengals defense gives up too many big plays and needs a force off the edge.

10. New Orleans (7-9)

The Pick: Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma*

The buzz: The Saints defense gets smoked weekly, and Smith is one of the elite cornerbacks.

11. Buffalo (7-9)

The Pick: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

The buzz: The Bills wants more playmakers, especially on the inside.

12. Denver (7-9)

The Pick: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.*

The buzz: The Broncos offensive line must improve for QB Jay Cutler to take the next step as an NFL starter.

13. Carolina (7-9)

The Pick: Keith Rivers, LB, USC

The buzz: The Panthers backer unit would benefit from another strong defender.

14. Chicago (7-9)

The Pick: Andre' Woodson, QB, Kentucky

The buzz: The Bears are hoping to land a future offensive leader in the first round.

15. Detroit (7-9)

The Pick: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida*

The buzz: The Lions must improve their outside pass rush to be a playoff contender.

16. Arizona (8-8)

The Pick: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

The buzz: The Cardinals secondary must improve for this team to make the postseason.

17. Minnesota (8-8)

The Pick: DeSean Jackson, WR, California*

The buzz: The Vikings are looking for playmakers on the outside and in the return game.

18. Houston (8-8)

The Pick: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma*

The buzz: The Texans are looking to add a standout playmaker opposite Andre Johnson.

19. Philadelphia (8-8)

The Pick: Dan Connor, LB, Penn St

The buzz: The Eagles want to solidify their front seven, and this local product will be a fan favorite.

20. Tampa Bay (9-7)

The Pick: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas*

The buzz: The Bucs' are looking to rebuild a playoff-caliber defense, especially at cornerback.

21. Washington (9-7)

The Pick: Lawrence Jackson, DE, Southern Cal

The buzz: The Redskins are hoping to draft an impact pass rusher at this spot.

22. Dallas (from Cleveland (10-6))

The Pick: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan*

The buzz: The Cowboys have big problems in their receiving corps and at cornerback.

23. Pittsburgh (10-6)

The Pick: Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College

The buzz: The Steelers hope to address their offensive line, especially tackle, early in the draft.

24. Tennessee (10-6)

The Pick: James Hardy, WR, Indiana*

The buzz: The Titans need to add playmakers in their passing game.

25. Seattle (10-6)

The Pick: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois*

The buzz: The Seahawks are looking to the future with Shawn Alexander on the downside of his career.

26. Jacksonville (11-5)

The Pick: Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech*

The buzz: The Jaguars are looking to improve in pass coverage, and this corner can help.

y - 27. NY Giants (10-6)

The Pick: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

The buzz: G-Men need another top-flight cover man opposite last year's pick, Aaron Ross.

y - 27. San Diego (11-5)

The Pick: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon*

The buzz: The Chargers will lose veteran runner Michael Turner and LaDainian Tomlinson enters his eighth season next fall.

y - 29. Green Bay (13-3)

The Pick: Sam Baker, OT, Southern Cal

The buzz: The Packers will look to address their tackle spot. Both starters will be older than 30 next season.

y - 30. Dallas (13-3)

The Pick: DeJuan Tribble, CB, Boston College

The buzz: The Cowboys secondary has problems in coverage, and they will be address the corner spot with one of their two No. 1 selections.

y - 31. San Francisco (From Indianapolis (13-3))

The Pick: Early Doucet, WR, LSU

The buzz: The 49ers offense needs to upgrade their weak receiving corps if Alex Smith is too ever to realize his pro potential.

y - 32. New England (16-0)

The Pick: no pick

The Buzz: Pick forfeited.

If Ellis is there at 9 and we don't take him I'll throw something at the TV.

Name one player we have ever drafted from OSU in the first round that turned out to be a dominant player (and if you are picking #9 you need a dominant player)? Archie? nope. Big Duddy? nope. OSU players have had a tough time with the Bengals and speculation has been that we are too close to Columbus and the parties for them to concentrate on football the way they need to in the NFL.

If Ellis is there at 9 and we don't take him I'll throw something at the TV.

Name one player we have ever drafted from OSU in the first round that turned out to be a dominant player (and if you are picking #9 you need a dominant player)? Archie? nope. Big Duddy? nope. OSU players have had a tough time with the Bengals and speculation has been that we are too close to Columbus and the parties for them to concentrate on football the way they need to in the NFL.

I feel the same way about Ellis right now, but there is a lot of time between now and April for opinions to change. They always do. I guarantee the top 10 mock will go through numerous revisements before the draft gets here.

As far as picking a Buckeye... It doesn't have much to do with past luck. And based on the past several years(specifically under Marvin) the Bengals show no tendency to take a player simply because they are from OSU (I think that Schlegel, a last minute desperation signing, is the only former Buckeye on the roster). If they draft Gholston, it'll be because he's a freak who deserves a top 10 slot - not because he's a Buckeye.

I've been pimping Ellis for months, and did so even when he was first ranked somewhere in the 20's in most value rankings....instead of as a potential top 5 pick. That said, if the Bengals pass on Ellis the fate of my television is secure because my shopping list is longer than one player or position, and every pick has to be weighed in relation to what other picks and moves were made.

It's not a one-player draft, right?

Make no mistake about it, Ellis is still my first choice and I actually have some fairly serious reservations about Gholston. But he IS an oustanding prospect who plays a position of pressing need, and if he's the pick I think you have back off a little and give the Bengal coaches a chance to develope the player of their choosing.

It's not a one-player draft, right?

Not by any means, but everyone always expects their teams first pick in the draft to be the best player taken in that draft. Of course it doesn't always work out that way. :rolleyes:

Ellis is the guy unless he is snatched up at 6 or 8, then we've got to go O-line...Clady is a better player with way more upside than Ghoulston.

You know, the more I ponder the options, I'd be upfor them moving down if Ellis is gone to get another r3 pick and then take an OT later, like 18-25.

Ellis is the guy unless he is snatched up at 6 or 8, then we've got to go O-line...Clady is a better player with way more upside than Ghoulston.

You know, the more I ponder the options, I'd be upfor them moving down if Ellis is gone to get another r3 pick and then take an OT later, like 18-25.

rolleyes.gif

O-Line, I dont like that. Stay defense I dont care who, at least for the first 3 picks.

I'm still convinced the Patsies will trade down. They'll get some poor, unsuspecting franchise to give up their next three 1st rounders and their first born virgin daughter or something. They really need some youth at LB and is any LB worthy of a 7th pick this year? I don't think so. Phillips may interest them but that's only if they feel Brandon Merriweather is turning out to the hideously average NFL safety I think he was always destined to be. Rodney can keep juicing only for so long.

I didn't like Ellis that much against Illinois, but I watched the draft show last night on the NFL network. I was really impressed with Ellis. The fact that he is going to play in the Senior bowl, says alot to me. He will show what he's got. Great pick, and I hope he slides to the Bengals.

If not Ellis, I would be interested in checking out Connor from Penn State. The guy is consistent. Then we should spend our next 3 picks on DL/DE.

Thoughts?

I hope the fact that they were wrecked by LB injuries this year doesn't influence them to take one in the 1st round. This team needs a lot of help up front, and as they proved last year, good lbs can be found on the waiver wire. Now, if they move to the 3-4.......?

Meh I think chiefs go OL myself being that they use to have one of the best now they have one of the worst.

I also stick by fact we should make whitworth RT of the future and just draft a LG in rnd 2-3.I'd perfer to take Ellis over Gholston (look at our top players pac10 <3 ) but I'd be fine with either one.

Make no mistake about it, Ellis is still my first choice and I actually have some fairly serious reservations about Gholston.

Ditto and ditto.

Calais Campbell, please.

Yeah, I've been warming to the idea of Campbell in the last week or so myself. I think I like him better than Gholston.

Ellis has early mentions on bengals.com <3 hayes talks about him some etc.

In the past it has been Marvin's idea to not talk to the players he really wants and to instead wait until they have personal visits. I find it very interesting that this year they would give all this info to Hobson for an article going even as far as to talk about a future interview at the combine and a personal visit. I think the Bengals believe he will be gone before they pick but are just covering their bases in case. On ESPN, Mel Kiper had the Bengals taking a under class DE from Clemson named Phillip Merling. Any website I have looked at has him as a late first round early second round....in fact one draft has the Bengals taking him in the second, yet Kiper has him to the Bengals at #9