It's not just current Bengals! merged

rwalling

Former Bengal indicted

By Matt Sanctis

Staff Writer , DDN

Friday, January 18, 2008

MECHANICSBURG — A former Cincinnati Bengal and Ohio State Buckeye is scheduled to face a court date in Champaign County this week after he was indicted on one count each of passing a bad check and grand theft of a motor vehicle.

Clerks at the Champaign County Common Pleas Court said Pete Johnson, 53, formerly of Columbus, is scheduled to face an arraignment hearing at 11 a.m. Jan. 22. Johnson was previously scheduled to appear in court earlier this month but was never served with court papers because he had moved, clerks said.

That's sad to hear. Pete was one of the all-time Bengals. However, he was one of the downfalls of the Forrest Gregg regeme. I think he was one of the first to get suspended by the league for drugs back in 1983(?). There were a few other things that happened that year to the team that put an end to the Bengals run in the early 80's but that was a big one. I believe he was traded to SD for James Brooks which turned out to be a great move for the team in the end. Sorry to hear that things have gotten that bad for him.

That's sad to hear.

Without a doubt, although I've come to accept that for the most part, NFL players aren't choirboys. Sure, Jon Kitna surely is, Carson Palmer sort of is, (his 'Vegas excursion without his wife who got miffed over this soon after drafted by Cincinnati is my only instance of his naughtyness) Walter Peyton was, and Reggie White was an ordained minister!

My point is these are some badass dudes playing in the ultimate, punishing mans game. If you want major purity of conduct among players, you might want to watch golf. Granted they have their bad boy in John Daly, but he is an extreme exception to the rule.

My only comment is the title. What current Bengals are currently chapping anyone's hide by getting arrested or such? The last legal run-in I can recall is the wedding reception debacle (Quincy Wilson right?) that took place in late summer '07. Did I miss something, or are you just taking the easy - ESPN/PFT course of decrying how much trouble a few Bengal players got into in 2006? I think a more accurate title would be "It's not just current players" since there are probably only a handful of team (if any) that haven't had a player arrested since last summer. I realize this is a pet peeve, and I don't expect a tremendous national media change-of-heart to reflect reality, but Bengal fans should at least realize that the Bengals are "currently" one of the cleaner organizations in the NFL.

Back in 1987 Pete was indicted on four counts of cocaine trafficking. The link below is a story about his indictment. The story doesn't say it, but they nailed him in person driving his cadillac from Florida to Columbus. Pillows on the backseat had cocaine sewed into them. Pete faced 65 years in prison if convicted, and he went to trial in Federal Court in Columbus. Faced with a ton of evidence, Pete's defense was three pronged: 1. I loan my car out to various people and I've never seen those pillows before. 2. I'm Pete Johnson, I blocked for Archie Griffin. 3. Woody loved me like I was his own son.

Verdict: Not Guilty on all counts.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...75BC0A961948260

• 2 weeks later...