Zimmer Describes Self

COB

Zimmer described himself in the Columbus Dispatch story today as "a hollerer and a screamer." He also said his priority will be making the team "physical and tough minded." Billie, were you added to the hydra? This looks like your guy. And there's interesting stuff near the end about how he values technique and discipline over trying to outscheme teams. He'll never get labeled a genius that way!

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/conte...G3.html?sid=101

A familiar spot for Zimmer

Coordinator made Cowboys defense shine without stars

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:14 AM

By Scott Priestle

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Mike Zimmer likely will have to improve the Bengals defense without adding any major players to it.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

CINCINNATI -- In 2001, Mike Zimmer developed a reputation as a bright defensive mind by building a stout defense out of players largely lacking reputations. Those Dallas Cowboys featured Darren Woodson, Dat Nguyen, Dexter Coakley and assorted spare parts, but they finished fourth in the NFL in yards allowed.

It was Zimmer's second season as an NFL defensive coordinator, and it solidified a coaching philosophy he carries into his new job as defensive coordinator of the Bengals: Success is about more than schemes and stars.

"They loved playing football," he recalled yesterday. "They didn't care about anything else, and we didn't change much week to week. We did what we did. It taught me that if you can get all the guys playing on the same page, doing the same thing, doing things right -- and they care about football and they care about winning and they care about doing what you want them to do -- then you've got a chance to be pretty good."

If Zimmer is to have similar success in Cincinnati, it will be under similar circumstances. The Bengals have devoted about 60 percent of the salary cap to the offense. Their best-known and most-decorated players are quarterback Carson Palmer, receivers Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, running back Rudi Johnson and tackles Levi Jones and Willie Anderson.

It has been that way for most of the past two decades: While offensive standouts such as Anthony Munoz, Boomer Esiason, James Brooks, Carl Pickens and Corey Dillon played their way into multiple Pro Bowls, the Bengals defense ranked in the bottom half of the league in 20 of the past 23 seasons.

Coach Marvin Lewis downplayed the possibility of the Bengals signing a high-profile defensive free agent, so it is up to Zimmer and his assistants to change the culture without drastically changing the landscape.

"It was very much like that after my first year as coordinator in Dallas," Zimmer said. "Everybody was saying how terrible we were on defense, and then from that point on we were pretty good. So hopefully I can change the culture here the way we did that year."

Lewis said his priority is "providing an identity … being physical and tough-minded." Zimmer is Lewis' third defensive coordinator in five-plus seasons.

"Mike and I, philosophically, are somewhat joined," he said.

Zimmer described himself as "a hollerer and a screamer" who focuses more on fundamentals than schemes.

"I'm big on technique," he said. "I want to make sure guys do the things we ask of them and do it right. Play hard all the time. Hands in the right place, feet in the right place. In pro football, I think a lot of guys get to the point where you worry so much about who you're playing that your technique goes bad, especially late in the year. So I'm a big stickler on a lot of those things."

Zimmer has experience with the 4-3 and 3-4 defenses, including transitioning the Cowboys to a 3-4. The Bengals have played a 4-3 in recent years, and their roster seems better suited to it, but neither Zimmer nor Lewis would commit to a style.

"We'll address that as we go through the spring," Lewis said.

spriestle@dispatch.com

Coach Marvin Lewis downplayed the possibility of the Bengals signing a high-profile defensive free agent, so it is up to Zimmer and his assistants to change the culture without drastically changing the landscape.

Uh oh. Marvin's already trying to lower expectations. This is bad. What else are we going to do with the 30 mil in cap space?

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/conte...G3.html?sid=101

That is probably the biggest leap in judgement I have ever read. I guess since Marvin Lewis wouldn't commit to a 4-3 or 3-4 in the interview that means we will for sure run a hybrid defense all season. It is much too early for the front office to start talking with the media about high priority FAs, they just signed a new D coorodinator days ago, hence why a head coach (who is always non-commital anyway in interviews) wouldn't whip out his offseason wish list and draft boards for the media.

Sorry, I'm just sick of journalists sensationalizing everything so far this offseason.

Zimmer described himself in the Columbus Dispatch story today as "a hollerer and a screamer." He also said his priority will be making the team "physical and tough minded." Billie, were you added to the hydra? This looks like your guy.

As a former Marine, sure. He does have attributes I admire, so yeah...he'll do as my guy as long as he can improve this notoriously bottom ranked defense.

And there's interesting stuff near the end about how he values technique and discipline over trying to outscheme teams. He'll never get labeled a genius that way!

Personally I've had it with the whole labeling coaches as "Geniuses". Marvin Lewis and Brian Billick ruined it for me. Both of their teams woefully underperformed regarding their alleged special abilities.

Zimmer described himself in the Columbus Dispatch story today as "a hollerer and a screamer." He also said his priority will be making the team "physical and tough minded." Billie, were you added to the hydra? This looks like your guy.

As a former Marine, sure. He does have attributes I admire, so yeah...he'll do as my guy as long as he can improve this notoriously bottom ranked defense.

And there's interesting stuff near the end about how he values technique and discipline over trying to outscheme teams. He'll never get labeled a genius that way!

Personally I've had it with the whole labeling coaches as "Geniuses". Marvin Lewis and Brian Billick ruined it for me. Both of their teams woefully underperformed regarding their alleged special abilities.

And I would say that's because their owners forced them to try and put the proverbial liptsick on a pig, on their respective sides of the ball where they were known for succeeding, thinking they'd make up for the difference.

I never thought anyone other than maybe Bellichick could be considered an NFL genius. And he was a bit of a later bloomer for these times.

Love the emphasis on technique, I'd loooove to see some of these spring practices as he teaches some of these guys what they should have been doing all along.

I'll wait to see what he means by not changing game plans week-to-week, not outscheming teams, etc. I'm not that impressed by exotic schemes, but I'm very weary of utter predictability. I never thought that Dallas' defenses were reminiscent of Chuckie's all-day prevent defense though.

Should be fun to watch.

Personally I've had it with the whole labeling coaches as "Geniuses". Marvin Lewis and Brian Billick ruined it for me.

Not that it matters much but I've always mocked the idea that any football coach deserves the label of genius....as the more often that label is used the less it means.

Besides, in sports it's not uncommon for those labeled a genius to be fired in a few years. Happens all the tme, right?

Perhaps a less pretentious label should be used to describe coaches and managers who demonstrate above average abilities.

I'm thinking something along the line of Larry David's...."Pretty pretty good."

If he can teach our D to finish a tackle, that's all I need. I bet our defense would jump up 10 spots in the rankings if people just tackled better.

NO DOUBT.

I'm thinking something along the line of Larry David's...."Pretty pretty good."

Uhm, it's actually...."pret-ty good......pret-ty good."

rofl @ that show.