Norm Chow fired!/Hired by UCLA (merged)

Kazkal

I was cool with giving brat another chance but I'd rather Have chow with hue back as WR coach :o

TITANS SAYS CIAO TO NORM

In a move that is something of a surprise, the Titans have fired offensive coordinator Norm Chow.

Chow, who was regarded as a genius at USC, apparently is the scapegoat for Vince Young's unimpressive second season in the league.

In 2006, however, the tutelage of Chow helped lead Young to the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year award.

Look for the Cardinals or the Bengals to explore the possibility of tapping into Chow's expertise and experience with Matt Leinart or Carson Palmer, both of whom won a Heisman while working with Chow

I was cool with giving brat another chance but I'd rather Have chow with hue back as WR coach :o

TITANS SAYS CIAO TO NORM

In a move that is something of a surprise, the Titans have fired offensive coordinator Norm Chow.

Chow, who was regarded as a genius at USC, apparently is the scapegoat for Vince Young's unimpressive second season in the league.

In 2006, however, the tutelage of Chow helped lead Young to the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year award.

Look for the Cardinals or the Bengals to explore the possibility of tapping into Chow's expertise and experience with Matt Leinart or Carson Palmer, both of whom won a Heisman while working with Chow

I don't get the feeling Carson is in need of a blast from the not to relevant past to boast his spirits. If Norm can help with a decent running game + receivers that run good routes, then Carson could use him.

Well, I will say this much ... I know very much that he has turned down offers to go back to the west coast simply because he is very much a family guy and loves the Tennessee area. Well, good old Cincy sure is not that far from Tennessee. Hmmm. Let the speculation begin. Palmer's old OC comes to Cincy and the Bengals offense flourishes! (dreaming ... I would love to see this guy come to Cincy ... good guy and good football mind)

File this one under the heading of....."For whatever it might be worth"

While still at USC Chow's name was mentioned from time to time when teams were searching for a head coach. Each time he was passed over, prompting many to wonder why someone so highly regarded seemed doomed to rise no further than the coordinator ranks. Only after Chow left for a coordinator position in the NFL did his fellow coaches speak freely, admitting that Chow is a remarkably abrasive personality, and very difficult to get along with. Furthermore, his job interviews are now considered the stuff of legend, being so bad that Pete Carrol actually admitted he had hired Chow only after others convinced him to get past the horrible first impression Chow made. Carrol was quick to acknowledge Chow's coaching ability, but also admitted that their relationship was never close, and sometimes quite awkward.

As for his past relationships with QB's, Chow is said to be blunt almost to the point of being verbally abusive, and if I had to guess I'd say this is the reason the Titans fired him, as Vince Young represents their future far more than Chow.

I have a feeling that Norm Chow will be ending up at UCLA as their offensive coordinator. Rick Neuheisel, the new UCLA head coach, has said that he would like to have Norm Chow as his offensive coordinator. Combine this with the fact that he interviewed for the UCLA head coaching position before pulling his name from the hat right before Neuheisel excepted the position. It was believed that the reason he pulled his name out of the hat was because it would have been a cut in pay. And lastly, I believe that most of his family lives in the Los Angeles area.

While still at USC Chow's name was mentioned from time to time when teams were searching for a head coach. Each time he was passed over, prompting many to wonder why someone so highly regarded seemed doomed to rise no further than the coordinator ranks. Only after Chow left for a coordinator position in the NFL did his fellow coaches speak freely, admitting that Chow is a remarkably abrasive personality, and very difficult to get along with. Furthermore, his job interviews are now considered the stuff of legend, being so bad that Pete Carrol actually admitted he had hired Chow only after others convinced him to get past the horrible first impression Chow made. Carrol was quick to acknowledge Chow's coaching ability, but also admitted that their relationship was never close, and sometimes quite awkward.

As for his past relationships with QB's, Chow is said to be blunt almost to the point of being verbally abusive, and if I had to guess I'd say this is the reason the Titans fired him, as Vince Young represents their future far more than Chow.

That's fairly interesting. Where'd you pick that up about Chow, it's new to me. Not that the mainstream LA media would have reported it, but I still never got a whiff of it.

While still at USC Chow's name was mentioned from time to time when teams were searching for a head coach. Each time he was passed over, prompting many to wonder why someone so highly regarded seemed doomed to rise no further than the coordinator ranks. Only after Chow left for a coordinator position in the NFL did his fellow coaches speak freely, admitting that Chow is a remarkably abrasive personality, and very difficult to get along with.

Well we're used to that around here. :)

ESPN:

Look for the Cardinals or the Bengals to explore the possibility of tapping into Chow's expertise and experience with Matt Leinart or Carson Palmer, both of whom won a Heisman while working with Chow.

-----------------------------

More than likely he'll end up back at SC. - B1

No sweat B1. We mods are some merging mofo's.

Ta dow.

I'd freaking LOVE chow to be our new OC. Jesus maybe our offense would have some sort of unpredictability instead of me being able to tell you what Brat is calling next from my seats.

I'd freaking LOVE chow to be our new OC. Jesus maybe our offense would have some sort of unpredictability instead of me being able to tell you what Brat is calling next from my seats.

I just can't believe we'd ever get that lucky is all.

I feel like if anything, I'm getting more pessimistic about this club as the seasons go by..... <_<

That's fairly interesting. Where'd you pick that up about Chow, it's new to me. Not that the mainstream LA media would have reported it, but I still never got a whiff of it.

While at work I've almost always got the local Los Angeles based ESPNRadio blasting and as you might guess USC coaches, players, and staffers are frequent guests. In fact, I was listening to it yesterday as a so-called "Trojan insider" completely shot down the idea of Chow returning to USC, claiming that Carrol would never allow it. Apparently their relationship was more than strained, and due to a clash of egos had become increasingly hostile. It's also been widely reported that Chow and the young assistants he had at USC when he was there, Sarkisian and Kiffin, increasingly grew apart in direct relation to the amount of respect the younger men gained. Both men were highly regarded and their presence was often cited as the reason Pete Carrol never shed a tear when Chow announced he was departing. (Sarkisian later turned down the Raiders head coaching job. Kiffin quickly accepted it.)

As for the Bengal angle, I've never heard Carson Palmer say anything negative about Chow, and on occasion he's gone so far to claim that Chow had saved his college career. But I've got my doubts about any of the parties involved seeing themselves as a good fit. Chow's offensive schemes haven't set the NFL on fire, and he's owed two years salary at a million dollars a pop by the Titans, allowing him to return to the college ranks, if he so desires, without taking a financial hit. And like General Reedle said, his family never moved to Tennessee...staying in the Los Angeles area. And last, my morning paper claims UCLA has already drafted a heavily backloaded 3-year contract offer that would allow Chow to pocket nearly every dime the Titans owe him. UCLA would then pay big for the final season only...at which point Chow would be 64 years old.