So much for "Blowing it all up"

Bengals1

From the dotcom:

Updated: 1-3-08, 2 p.m.

The Bengals said Thursday in the wake of Wednesday's moves that their remaining coaches are in place, working, and under contract for the 2008 season.

Some could leave for better jobs, but it looks like that Bengals defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan and linebackers coach Ricky Hunley are the only assistants that won't return.

Also Thursday there are indications from Carolina that the Bengals have not asked the Panthers for permission to talk to secondary coach Tim Lewis, a possible candidate for coordinator. For the third time under head coach Marvin Lewis the Bengals are looking for a defensive coordinator with another of the candidates possibly former Jets and Lions coordinator Donnie Henderson.

Terrific. :angry:

I'm more than satisfied with the moves that have been made thus far.

Take out "more than" and I agree. Given the way the D has failed to improve, and how Dhani Jones came in off the street and basically outperformed LBs who'd been on the roster for years, it's tough to justify keeping Bresh and Hunley. I thought Mike Sheppard might go too, given how completely we failed to find a replacement for Henry the first 8 games, as well as the dip in Chad's play, but I suppose he got cut some slack since it's his first year. Have to think his seat is warm going into 2008, tho.

Take out "more than" and I agree. Given the way the D has failed to improve, and how Dhani Jones came in off the street and basically outperformed LBs who'd been on the roster for years, it's tough to justify keeping Bresh and Hunley. I thought Mike Sheppard might go too, given how completely we failed to find a replacement for Henry the first 8 games, as well as the dip in Chad's play, but I suppose he got cut some slack since it's his first year. Have to think his seat is warm going into 2008, tho.

I don't know, I know nothing about Hunley, but I'm not so sure it's fair to blame him. He lost Odell, Pollack, and Simmons who had been or were expected to start. He even lost the first round of new signees. At one point they had no active LBs who entered camp.

Who are these LBs who were on the roster for years? I know of one, Landon, and he wasn't supposed to be a starter.

I don't know, I know nothing about Hunley, but I'm not so sure it's fair to blame him. He lost Odell, Pollack, and Simmons who had been or were expected to start. He even lost the first round of new signees. At one point they had no active LBs who entered camp.

Who are these LBs who were on the roster for years? I know of one, Landon, and he wasn't supposed to be a starter.

Landon and Caleb. They may not have been supposed to be starters, but neither was Dhani, initially a 6th round pick by the Giants. When he comes here, by way of NO where he was apparently cut in favor of Brian Simmons, among others, and shows up a couple 3rd rounders Hunley has been nursing for years...well, to quote Bill Engvall, there's your sign.

That said, kaz has a good point: this could be a "scouting" fire versus a "coaching" fire.

Wow. You must have really misunderstood what he meant by "blow it up." He wasn't talking about what you think he was. I guess I am the only one that gets what he meant.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

No one ever has any idea what Pong is talking about. It's part of his charm. ;)

Wow. You must have really misunderstood what he meant by "blow it up." He wasn't talking about what you think he was. I guess I am the only one that gets what he meant.

Was Marvin thinking about a balloon party?

Actually, he was thinking just a bit bigger...what was the movie...Black Sunday? :lmao:

Actually, he was thinking just a bit bigger...what was the movie...Black Sunday? :lmao:

It's ok if Marvin blows up PBS...Hamilton County will just build them another one...

It's ok if Marvin blows up PBS...Hamilton County will just build them another one...

And maybe this time it'll have a bubble, eh? :lol:

I don't know, I know nothing about Hunley, but I'm not so sure it's fair to blame him.

I'd say after firing the coordinator it's a little suprising that more defensive assistants weren't let go. With the Bengals likely in need of several new players on the defensive line I would have made a move there. As for letting Hunley go, I'm guessing you do it precisely because the LB corp is so unsettled. Start fresh, and let the new guy pick the players he wants to build around.

Well, for the coaches that's all, but the players have yet to be blown up, uh... blowed up, er... blew up, uh... blewed up...

We're not talking about Rudi's parking lot escapades here ya' know. <_<

Sorry about that B1, I was just referring to Emmit Smith's inability to speak, in spite of the fact he does so in front of millions on television. I don't get the Rudi reference, busted in a parking lot, was he?

Sorry about that B1, I was just referring to Emmit Smith's inability to speak, in spite of the fact he does so in front of millions on television. I don't get the Rudi reference, busted in a parking lot, was he?

Rudi was allegedly caught on video in the training camp parking lot getting a hummer in his Hummer.

So to speak. ;)

Rudi was allegedly caught on video in the training camp parking lot getting a hummer in his Hummer.

So to speak. ;)

Oh, that's a relief. I thought you might be positing a reason why Rudi kept starting this year... :o