PFT: BRESH FIRED!!!

HoosierCat

WHAT?? I'M FIRED!!!!11111???1

BUT MY DEFENSE STOPPED THE HIGH POWERED RAVENS AND ST. LOUIS OFFENSES AND ONLY GAVE UP 33 POINTS TO THE TERRIFYING BUFFALO BILLS OFFENSE!!!111!!

bresnahan.gif

I guess that means this will be gone soon:

http://chuckbresnahan.blogspot.com/

Enjoy while you can! :cheers:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Marvin get's told what to do. I think he has the leverage in this situation. Marvin Lewis turned around the worst franchise in PRO SPORTS. He can get a job tomorrow. Mike would have the fans, the media, the players going nuts. People like the Bengals sucking Leno and such. People love saying Bungles. They think it's funny. I will guarantee that Marvin doesn't just blindly say ok. Thank God Bres is fired and I hope the new guy is great.

I doubt that Bratkowski is going anywhere. Maybe an assistant (Sheppard) but not Brat.

Unfortunately that's the way I also see it. Even though Bob is the most predictable OC in the game, he still has his side of the team in the upper half of the league.

If only the defense could get there too, and we'd really have something to cheer about in Cincinnati. :bengal:

Yep, Rex would be nice (compared to the other options). Would Ryan even want this job if he's not offered the HC position at Balt? Would the Bengals' count him out on salary alone? That wouldn't suprise me.

Didn't Baltimore clean house completely? if so i doubt they would fire him and then make him HC. Do Ryan and Marvin have any notable connections? And does Ryan run a 4-3 or 3-4 defense?

Dude rex ryan will be a head coach somewhere im sure

I wouldn't mind seeing the team go after Vilma if Henderson ends up here too. Perhaps they are counting on that and that could be why Hundley was let go. Or perhaps Henderson ends up as the LB coach for now.

For whatever it might be worth, a poster on GoBengals claimed he read comments Henderson made about retiring. If true, he may not be interested in any position more demanding than a consulting role.

I feel bad that long ago I chastised Raider fans that gave us s**t when we picked him up as DC. I let his Superbowl experience weigh too much in my early opinion of him, and it appears they were ultimately right. :bangin: I'll take the hit on that. I guess that stemmed from my over exhuberance at a potential upgrade. I pray that doesn't happen again. B)

I feel bad that long ago I chastised Raider fans that gave us s**t when we picked him up as DC. I let his Superbowl experience weigh too much in my early opinion of him, and it appears they were ultimately right. :bangin: I'll take the hit on that. I guess that stemmed from my over exhuberance at a potential upgrade. I pray that doesn't happen again. B)

Stay negative about everything and you should be alright.

Stay negative about everything and you should be alright.

Hey Hair. I simply served myself some crow, and ate it willingly. That's what I do when I'm wrong. You prefer to shrug it off and argue on, and that you no doubt excell at. I respect your opinions, but I take them with a newly found grain of salt.

I'm guessing sometime in 2006 you remembered that the Raiders got f*cking pounded by Tampa in that SB ;) Admittedly, the problem was primarily that Callahan didn't change the audible calls from Gruden's regime (doh!), but still.

Oh, and I loooooved this little nugget from Lewis' Wiki:

Lewis' soft defensive schemes, including a diminished use of blitzing, led to unpopularity among several New York Giants faithful. This is despite his being considered a head coaching candidate by other teams before the 2006 season.[1] The New York Giants defense in 2006 finished 25th overall, 28th against the pass and 14th against the run, as the team barely made the playoffs at 8-8. He was fired on January 11, 2007.

Ah well. Crappy DCs here are much like kings in England....one may go, but there's always another one. The idiot coordinator is dead....long live the idiot coordinator. What happened to the days when Bengals coaches came up with stuff the whole league would emulate?

I think I need another damned drink before I start banging my head on the table.

Lewis' soft defensive schemes, including a diminished use of blitzing, led to unpopularity among several New York Giants faithful. This is despite his being considered a head coaching candidate by other teams before the 2006 season.[1] The New York Giants defense in 2006 finished 25th overall, 28th against the pass and 14th against the run, as the team barely made the playoffs at 8-8. He was fired on January 11, 2007.

You've got to be kidding me. This is our big upgrade at DC? Good grief. His last defense was 25th overall? Can't we at least find the guy who coached the 24th overall defense and hire him?

You've got to be kidding me. This is our big upgrade at DC? Good grief. His last defense was 25th overall? Can't we at least find the guy who coached the 24th overall defense and hire him?

Don't put too much into a wiki post. For all we know, that was written by a disgruntled Giants fan with no football knowledge.

To play devil's advocate, from bengals.com:

"Tim Lewis, 46, a former cornerback with the Packers, broke into NFL coaching on the Steelers' Super Bowl staff in which Marvin Lewis coached the linebackers in 1995. During his four seasons as the Steelers defensive coordinator from 2000-2003, Pittsburgh finished in the top 10 all four years and led the NFL in 2001.

He moved to the Giants in 2004, where he developed the Pro Bowl pass rush combo of Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyioro and oversaw 15 consecutive scoreless quarters in 2005. But with head coach Tom Coughlin taking heat, some say Lewis took the fall for the '06 late-season collapse."

I'm just glad Bresh is gone...

I'm guessing sometime in 2006 you remembered that the Raiders got f*cking pounded by Tampa in that SB ;) Admittedly, the problem was primarily that Callahan didn't change the audible calls from Gruden's regime (doh!), but still.

As a long time NFL fan I remember Superbowls back to the early '70's, and yes, I recall the Oakland defeat. Even now I can't lay that one on the feet of the Raider defense, not with FIVE INT's thrown by the Oakland offense in that game. That totally overshadowed any deficiencies the Raider defense may have displayed. Since it was between two teams I really didn't care for, I obviously didn't pay enough attention to how Oaklands defense played leading up to, and during that game. The Raider fans were quite vociferous in their complaints about Bresnahans soft defense, and that evidence of poor scheming came home to roost in Cincinnati in a big way. They were absolutely right. I'll go digging through the archives to try and find the threads alluding to this.

OTOH, I fear what Kirkendall posted about here:

He would be like what Chuck Bresnahan was when we fired Leslie Frazier. Soooooo not an upgrade. Then again, we're Cincinnati. We hate dat der upgrades. We da luv parrelllels.

Sorry. This was a move to appease the crowds. So, be appeased. I'm sure there's another DC that we'll hate by this time next year that will do his duty to keep our defensive rankings in the 20s. (sigh)

Not that I don't support the move. I just don't see anything coming from it.

With Lewis 2.0, We may be getting more of the same. <_<

"Tim Lewis, 46, a former cornerback with the Packers, broke into NFL coaching on the Steelers' Super Bowl staff in which Marvin Lewis coached the linebackers in 1995. During his four seasons as the Steelers defensive coordinator from 2000-2003, Pittsburgh finished in the top 10 all four years and led the NFL in 2001.

Thank you. I'm feeling a lot better now. Now it's starting to make a little sense.

Thank you. I'm feeling a lot better now. Now it's starting to make a little sense.

Ok to be the devil's advocate...with the talent on that Pittsburgh defense, if he didn't finish in the top 10 on defense there would be some serious problems. In 2000 they had a LB corp featuring Vrabel, Kirkland, Porter, Jason Gildon, and Earl Holmes, with Clark Hagans coming off the bench.

I'll go digging through the archives to try and find the threads alluding to this.

I found this one, and it's a bit like today..

I do find comfort in this quote though...

The past should be a springboard, not a hammock. - Ivern Ball

I'll go digging through the archives to try and find the threads alluding to this.

I found this one, and it's a bit like today..

I do find comfort in this quote though...

The past should be a springboard, not a hammock. - Ivern Ball

And here's another, complete with Raider fans happily saying goodbye to him. Oddly enough I started both of these threads.