Who is going to get the axe?

D. O'Neal

J. Smith

C. Johnson (trade for #1 pick)

Stacey Andrews

Chris Perry

Dexter Jackson

Caleb Miller

These will be the main ones. I can't say I want to see Chad gone, but if he doesn't seem able to control his emotions. Pouting doesn't seem to be a characteristic Marvin likes. This will be a Bengal changing off-season.

I agree. I think there will be a modest if not extensive turnover in personnel. That is, to the extent contracts, etc will allow.

Gone?

Justin Smith

Chris Perry

C. Miller

Deltha O'Neal

Dexter Jackson

As well as other less significant players.....

I believe they keep Andrews and Chad...

The big offseason moves will be the possible resigning of Madieu and Landon....

I agree. I think there will be a modest if not extensive turnover in personnel. That is, to the extent contracts, etc will allow.

Gone?

Justin Smith

Chris Perry

C. Miller

Deltha O'Neal

Dexter Jackson

As well as other less significant players.....

I believe they keep Andrews and Chad...

The big offseason moves will be the possible resigning of Madieu and Landon....

I hope Marvin acts like it's 2003 again and regains control of things. Cause next year he may not be so fortunate.

I hope they resign Landon and I am lukewarm about Madieu. I don't think he is the same since he got hurt a few years ago. Something has changed in him.

To go list:

D. Jackson

J. Smith

C. Miller

W. Anderson

To keep list:

C. Perry

C. Johnson

S. Andrews

Not sure list:

R. Johnson

T. Perry

D. O'Neal

And since the season is not over yet, I would like to see the following guys get more PT

Rucker

Ndukwe

M. White

J. Fanene

I must be the only one here that would like to see J. Smith stay a Bengal. He is still the most consistent D-Lineman that is on the team. We need to add some speed rushers, but Justin is still needed to hold the line together with his solid play and consitently good attitude.

Bottom line is that he gets no pressure on the QB. Never has, and pressure will make the secondary 10 times better.

Agree. When a rookie safety who doesn't get all that much playing time is tied for the team lead with two sacks, you know something is wrong with the pass rush.

I have open wondered if he is really miscast as a DE and should have been move to LB at some point in his career. He has good pursuit and the high octane motor but he seems to get swallowed up at the line no matter how hard he tries.

justin smith . . . where to begin . . . watching him pass rush would be similar to watching my dad run into the side of a building and trying to push it out of the way. He just has looked so silly all season trying to get "pressure" on the quarterback. The only time I've seen him even touch a quarterback is when the QB steps up in the pocket and is suddenly behind j.smith so all he has to do is turn around. For the RIDICULOUS money this guy is getting we need someone better than a guy who is good at only letting an RB run for 4 yards most of the time. I was lukewarm at best about smith until this season -- now the boy has got to go. if C. Bres. doesn't get the axe . . . i think i'm going to throwup and stay in bed for an entire weekend. we can do this song and dance about "we don't look at the numbers and statistics. the only statistic we care about is wins." That's fine and all, keeping that positive mental attitude, but it doesn't take a large intellect to see that when you are CONSISTENTLY one of the 10 worst defenses in the entire league it's going to be pretty tough to chalk anything up in that W column. Cripes guys -- when you're ranked 28-30th in every defensive category you're going to freaking lose a lot of games. we seem to never adjust, our defense always looks confused and unprepared and all i see chucky doing is pacing.

D. O'Neal

J. Smith

Stacey Andrews

Chris Perry

Dexter Jackson

Caleb Miller

These will be the main ones. I can't say I want to see Chad gone, but if he doesn't seem able to control his emotions. Pouting doesn't seem to be a characteristic Marvin likes. This will be a Bengal changing off-season.

I get the feeling that #85 may be shopped pretty hard during the draft. If they can somehow land say Dorsey AND Gholston, in the first round, I can live without Chad. I know that leaves them relying heavily on Cheech, but how about going after Bryant Johnson in free agency?

D. O'Neal - seems to have fallen from favor, is upset over $$$, but still may be the best CB we've got at the moment. Certainly the most proven. I dunno which way they jump here.

J. Smith - Bengals have said they want to keep him. Irrespective of his talents, or lack thereof, you have to take that "threat" seriously. He may well be back.

C. Johnson (trade for #1 pick) - not gonna happen.

Stacey Andrews - Will probably overpay for him given Willie's injury issues.

Chris Perry - they may dangle him as trade bait but I doubt he has much value. I thought he was done in Cincy but Rudi's continuing struggles and the Irons injury have made hash of the RB slot. Dunno which way thy jump here, either.

Dexter Jackson - I wouldn't shed a tear but may depend on what happens with Madieu and Deltha. How much do they want to shake up the secondary? Even if the talent level is so-so thats a lot of experience to flush and unless they spend heavily in FA to bring in vets, getting younger here won't bring immediate gains.

Caleb Miller - junk. Bye.

D. O'Neal - seems to have fallen from favor, is upset over $$$, but still may be the best CB we've got at the moment. Certainly the most proven. I dunno which way they jump here.

J. Smith - Bengals have said they want to keep him. Irrespective of his talents, or lack thereof, you have to take that "threat" seriously. He may well be back.

C. Johnson (trade for #1 pick) - not gonna happen.

Stacey Andrews - Will probably overpay for him given Willie's injury issues.

Chris Perry - they may dangle him as trade bait but I doubt he has much value. I thought he was done in Cincy but Rudi's continuing struggles and the Irons injury have made hash of the RB slot. Dunno which way thy jump here, either.

Dexter Jackson - I wouldn't shed a tear but may depend on what happens with Madieu and Deltha. How much do they want to shake up the secondary? Even if the talent level is so-so thats a lot of experience to flush and unless they spend heavily in FA to bring in vets, getting younger here won't bring immediate gains.

Caleb Miller - junk. Bye.

Agree with most of these -- although I do think Deltha's fate was sealed when they drafted Hall. He's playing out the string.

I think there's a 95% chance that Justing Smith gets to go. He'll land an okay deal and will be overpaid relative to production. I'm not in love with sacks alone and have never had a real problem with Smith - he has been solid when few other defensive players have achieved average - but he's simply not a top 5 or top 10 DE in this league and shouldn't earn that money. It would be easy to grab the top DE in the draft with our first pick (assuming as things shake out that doesn't end up being a huge reach ... like say the Justin Smith pick was) pay him less and watch him play better than Smith as a pure DE.

The Smith situation is one of the things I like to think about whenever the "Mike Brown is cheap" argument comes up. Mike Brown may be stupid (in fact I'm certain there's clinical evidence of that out there), but if he was really "cheap" there's no way he would've tagged Justin Smith. On the other hand, I do believe Justin Smith is having a pretty good life at the moment -- making franchise player money for another mediocre season. Here's to you Justin. :cheers: You're smarter than all of us.

I also think the Bengals are partly to blame for how Smith was used over the years and NEVER put any talent next to him at DT. Knowing you drafted a guy with a "high motor", you would think you would want to build the D-line around that, but that never happened. Instead you get a bunch of crap FA's thrown in with the hopes they will be good and Smith will finally have that "breakout" year. It just never happened and how much money are they willing to throw at him at this point when there is still little to NO talent at the DT position ??

WHODEY !!!

D. O'Neal

J. Smith

Stacey Andrews

Chris Perry

Dexter Jackson

Caleb Miller

I get the feeling that #85 may be shopped pretty hard during the draft. If they can somehow land say Dorsey AND Gholston, in the first round, I can live without Chad. I know that leaves them relying heavily on Cheech, but how about going after Bryant Johnson in free agency?

Dude, this is the Bengals. They will do nothing that requires that much time and effort in the off-season. You of all people should know that. Trading for one year of a competent Deltha was the most effort I've ever seen this franchise put out in the off-season since trading for James Brooks in the 80's, or maybe trading up or down a draft spot or two in the 1st round every so often.

justin smith . . . where to begin . . . watching him pass rush would be similar to watching my dad run into the side of a building and trying to push it out of the way. He just has looked so silly all season trying to get "pressure" on the quarterback. The only time I've seen him even touch a quarterback is when the QB steps up in the pocket and is suddenly behind j.smith so all he has to do is turn around. For the RIDICULOUS money this guy is getting we need someone better than a guy who is good at only letting an RB run for 4 yards most of the time. I was lukewarm at best about smith until this season -- now the boy has got to go. if C. Bres. doesn't get the axe . . . i think i'm going to throwup and stay in bed for an entire weekend. we can do this song and dance about "we don't look at the numbers and statistics. the only statistic we care about is wins." That's fine and all, keeping that positive mental attitude, but it doesn't take a large intellect to see that when you are CONSISTENTLY one of the 10 worst defenses in the entire league it's going to be pretty tough to chalk anything up in that W column. Cripes guys -- when you're ranked 28-30th in every defensive category you're going to freaking lose a lot of games. we seem to never adjust, our defense always looks confused and unprepared and all i see chucky doing is pacing.

And of course I was called the board idiot last year when I said to get rid of him and use the $ more wisely (of course to some here I still am but that's their problem).

Not sure what we'd do without Justin Smith! (3-9? 2-10?)

If they're counting on Fanene and Rucker or Henderson next year, I hope they have a back-up plan because all 3 of them will be injured again at some point I'm guessing. And I do like Henderson and Fanene's potential - just can't stay on the field. Rucker was a bust as most predicted when drafted.

D. O'Neal

J. Smith

Stacey Andrews

Chris Perry

Dexter Jackson

Caleb Miller

Dude, this is the Bengals. They will do nothing that requires that much time and effort in the off-season. You of all people should know that. Trading for one year of a competent Deltha was the most effort I've ever seen this franchise put out in the off-season since trading for James Brooks in the 80's, or maybe trading up or down a draft spot or two in the 1st round every so often.

Yeah, but a brother can dream right? I am holding on to the hope that Mike Brown will feel a sense of guilt for the heat that Marvin is taking. Brown has to know that Marvin has taken multiple bullets for his boss. I am hoping that behind the scenes, Marvin is pleading for SOP to do something.....ANYTHING. It is possible that Marvin has had his fill of #85. He won't say that, because he doesn't want to diminish his trade value.

Marvin has always been a 'good soldier'. I believe that everyone agrees that Mike Brown is a loyal guy, for whatever reason. I am holding out hope that one day Mike will come to the realization that 'damn it, I have enough money already. It's time to help Marvin and try to win for a change'. Call me a 'silly heart', but that's all I got.

I must be the only one here that would like to see J. Smith stay a Bengal. He is still the most consistent D-Lineman that is on the team. We need to add some speed rushers, but Justin is still needed to hold the line together with his solid play and consitently good attitude.

I've been one of justin's biggest supporters but it all depends.

1.)Who Replaces Justin if we let him walk

-a top tier FA or High round draft pick fine

-Frostee the snow man - oh god no.

2.)If we do resign him I'd like to see him only play running downs,I love you justin but we need to get after QB

-Though maybe if we get a stud DT to play next to peko,some healthy LB's and a good Defensive coordinator

PS,Fire Chuck Bresh I have mixxed feelings on but meh.

And of course I was called the board idiot last year when I said to get rid of him and use the $ more wisely

You have to remember that with Hair such an active poster here, that title is shared - passed from one Hair target after another :-)

In any case, with the likes of JoeWrong, Pushy, Spain, and AGreen all on here, I don't think you stand much of a chance of wearing that crown on any official basis.

Not sure what we'd do without Justin Smith! (3-9? 2-10?)

If they're counting on Fanene and Rucker or Henderson next year, I hope they have a back-up plan because all 3 of them will be injured again at some point I'm guessing.

I like them both too....but yeah, Marvin will need to acquire two more through draft or FA with an extra emphasis on durability.

I think Henderson is targeted as SSLB rather than DE