Leon Hall

TJJackson

http://www.nfl.com/players/leonhall/careerstats?id=HAL432931

29 tackles, all but one unassisted

8 passes defensed

4 picks

1 forced fumble

I'm not nominating him for DRoY or anything, don't worry, but I think he is really starting to come into his own.

Definitely not a bust :-)

Keep in mind that he is on pace for 8-9 picks by year's end, which I believe is very good even for a veteran corner. Yeah, I'd like to see more return yardage :-)

Any thoughts?

He looks really good at times and he looks really bad at times. He is playing solid enough to take Deltha's starting job, like he did. The INT was him being at the right place at the right time, like KK used to be all the time. Dexter Jackson made an exceptional play on that INT in the endzone. Pressure up front makes CB's look great or pathetic, our pressure always sucks. With that being said, I believe we have two really good up and coming CB's in Hall and Joseph. Our zone defense is horrible, we need to stick w/ man to man and quit lining our CB's 15 yards off of the reciever. Scheme is the problem not the players.

I believe we have two really good up and coming CB's in Hall and Joseph.

I agree that w/ no pressure our corners are bread in a toaster. With that being said, Hall looks promising - although he does get burnt too often for my liking. I'm not so sure about JJ. He never jams the receivers, he's always more than five yards off of them, and acts like everyone has leperacy - b/c he can't (or won't) tackle worth a s*$t.

Pressure up front makes CB's look great or pathetic, our pressure always sucks. With that being said, I believe we have two really good up and coming CB's in Hall and Joseph. Our zone defense is horrible, we need to stick w/ man to man and quit lining our CB's 15 yards off of the reciever.

But it's the lack of pressure that dictates zone coverage. Bill Parcells commented on this just a week or two ago, saying teams can protect rookie corners by placing them in less demanding man coverage only if those teams can produce a consistent pass rush with their down lineman. The more a team has to blitz to produce pressure the more you have to play zone coverages, and teams that can't even get consistent pressure while blitzing are relegated to almost constant zone coverage schemes....whose success is almost entirely dictated by how well the safeties play.

Pressure up front makes CB's look great or pathetic, our pressure always sucks. With that being said, I believe we have two really good up and coming CB's in Hall and Joseph. Our zone defense is horrible, we need to stick w/ man to man and quit lining our CB's 15 yards off of the reciever.

But it's the lack of pressure that dictates zone coverage. Bill Parcells commented on this just a week or two ago, saying teams can protect rookie corners by placing them in less demanding man coverage only if those teams can produce a consistent pass rush with their down lineman. The more a team has to blitz to produce pressure the more you have to play zone coverages, and teams that can't even get consistent pressure while blitzing are relegated to almost constant zone coverage schemes....whose success is almost entirely dictated by how well the safeties play.

Very true, but one corner or the other gets the 'tough' assignment, and I've seen a number of occasions where Hall's left one-on-one with the other team's #1 WR with effectively no safety help (by which I mean Madieu gets his slow ass over there by the time the guy's doing his touchdown dance).

Which tells me one of two things:

1) Chuck Bresnahan is a moron by exposing the rookie, or

2) The coaching staff believe Hall is now their #1 corner.

Not that those are mutually exclusive.

Love? That's a little strong. But I confess to the beginnings of a crush...

Ha! Couldn't agree more - a mancrush is slowly developing.

He got a lot of flak at the beginning of the season but it looks to me like he's been getting better and smarter (slowly) with each game.

Against the Ravens he had some plays that gave me mancrush goosebumps.

I really loved this pick. Leon is tough and he's very aggresive. I truly believe that if the Bengals get some more talent around him he's going to develop into one of the leagues BEST CB's... Chinny's tough and should take Dexter's spot. Unfortunately Madieu should be replaced by a #1 pick next year, he's just not a starting, or shall I say "Playmaking" safety in the NFL. Madieu would make a very good backup safety/special package (and special teams) type player. Madieu isn't a starter on INdy, NE, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Denver, NY Giants, Dallas, or any other playoff caliber team and THAT is the bottom line.

Leon is in the running for Rookie of the Week!

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies

vote now, vote often, and if you are a resident of Chicago, vote even if you are dead.......

(he's running 4th out of 5 rookie as I type this, so vote vote vote)

Dexter Jackson tipped that ball right in his lap. I don't know how that is defensive rookie of the week worthy. It wasn't good coverage or anything like that. He just stood there. And why did they pick him over Ndukwe? :wacko:

Leon is in the running for Rookie of the Week!

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=rookies

vote now, vote often, and if you are a resident of Chicago, vote even if you are dead.......

(he's running 4th out of 5 rookie as I type this, so vote vote vote)

Dexter Jackson tipped that ball right in his lap. I don't know how that is defensive rookie of the week worthy. It wasn't good coverage or anything like that. He just stood there. And why did they pick him over Ndukwe? :wacko:

He cant be rookie of the week when he was not even rookie of his team, Ndukwe played a much better all around game then Hall. Just goes to show how much attention they give to who is nominated for these stupid awards.

I really loved this pick. Leon is tough and he's very aggresive. I truly believe that if the Bengals get some more talent around him he's going to develop into one of the leagues BEST CB's... Chinny's tough and should take Dexter's spot. Unfortunately Madieu should be replaced by a #1 pick next year, he's just not a starting, or shall I say "Playmaking" safety in the NFL. Madieu would make a very good backup safety/special package (and special teams) type player. Madieu isn't a starter on Indy, NE, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Denver, NY Giants, Dallas, or any other playoff caliber team and THAT is the bottom line.

I am starting to have my doubts about Madieu. Unfortunately he has never regained his previous form after the shoulder surgery. Perhaps it's like knee surgery where it takes two years to fully heal.

I am starting to have my doubts about Madieu. Unfortunately he has never regained his previous form after the shoulder surgery. Perhaps it's like knee surgery where it takes two years to fully heal.

I dunno. I don't think his shoulder is the reason he always seems to be way late getting over to help out over the top on long passes. Still can't decide if he's part of the problem there or just Chuck's dumb schemes.

I think that they should be playing Ndukwe and White more. The veterans obviously aren't getting it done, and Ndukwe's made plays consistently when given an opportunity, so why not give him a shot? I think White brings much more physicality at safety, and we need it.

As far as Hall getting beat some at the beginning of the season, I don't think too much stock can be put into that. All corners are going to get beat some, but he doesn't get beat nearly as much as Tory, and he tackles better than any of the other starters in the secondary. I'm definitely glad we picked him.