We need these next 2 games, the season is on the line

The PatternMaster

The Bengals looked like garbage yesterday ... That defense did not show me anything all game,

WHAT? The O-line blew the jets off the ball. The running game was great. The defense showed you nothing? How about a 3 and out in the 4th quarter when we really needed it? How about a fumble recovery in the 4th quarter? How about two sacks in the 4th quarter? How about a 4th quarter pick run back for a touchdown to put the game out of reach? How about... ahh, forget it.

Our playmakers made plays.

All awesome things and true but you have to look at what we did in the right context. If the Bengals would have played Elder High School they would have looked EVEN BETTER!! That's a bit of an extreme example but you get my point.

The win was exciting but we need to temper our enthusiasm.

I think we have a chance this weekend for three reasons:

1) I'm a sucker and a gluton for punishment

2) They really do have a chance

3) The Lawrence Taylor Bowl of Coke Fund is growing

Can we beat the Vanillies? Yes.

Will we beat them, probably not. At least, not this first meeting. We may get better and with more of our injured and suspended players back by the second meeting we may best them then.

Right now however, I'm taking this season one game at a time.. <_<

I hope your wrong...

For what its worth, I do too.

I think we have a chance this weekend for three reasons:

1) I'm a sucker and a gluton for punishment

2) They really do have a chance

3) The Lawrence Taylor Bowl of Coke Fund is growing

Just remember, he doesn't get the bowl of coke till halftime! ;)

Fair enough - I'm just not volunteering to stand in between LT and his bowl of coke!

If the Bengals have to score 38 points to win, they won't win very many more games. Anyone that gives the defense credit for Sunday needs to realize just how bad the Jets offense was coming into that game. The Jets offense had not scored a TD in the last 5 quarters despite not having a penalty in the last 4. That just goes to show it was pure ineffectiveness and not untimely mistakes like the Bengals are prone to. I saw a lot of good Sunday in the Bengals as far as improvement, BUT had the penalties, blown coverages, and mental errors that the Bengals made been against a good team, the Bengals would have lost by 2 touchdowns. Every time the Bengals have a stupid penalty after driving all the way down to the other teams 20 yard line, it makes me wanna scream and throw something at my tv.

I'm taking credit for the win yesterday. Took the kids to their first Bengals game, watched the first half with a horror-struck look on my face. Looked in the face of the 7 1/2 hour drive back to Memphis, the business trip that I didn't know I would have to take until Thursday that made me need to be at the Memphis airport by 4:30 am this morning, and decided to leave at halftime (never done that before).

Got to listen to the comeback in the car.

I believe if we had stayed, it wouldn't have happened.

And, on this thread, yes, the Bengals can beat the Steelers. Quite easily. And if they win it, we've got a race, because the Ravens and Steelers would each just be 4-3.

Huge game this week.

Yea i also thought the D played horrible in both quarters, they had like 2 serious or so where they looked really good. What if Mangold didnt snap the ball when Chad wasnt ready, or if the Jets didnt run the same play a few times and JJoe realizes it and int. the pass, other then that this Def was horrible. Unless this team gets turnovers the defense will always be bad, and ur right the tackling on this team is just pitaful and needs to be addressed real bad, but this a every year thing. They need to learn to come out and play two halves of football and play physcial on every down.

If the Bengals have to score 38 points to win, they won't win very many more games.

True. OTOH, they really only needed 24 yesterday. JJoe actually made a small mental error running the pick in for a TD. Jets were out of timeouts and there were just 46 ticks left on the clock. If he steps out of bounds, Carson comes in, takes a knee twice and it's a 31-23 Bengals win.

No reason this O shouldn't be able to put up 24 a game. In fact, IIRC, that was LeBeau's magic number; he once said that if they scored 24 a game they'd win more than they'd lose.

Geathers is playing well at lb, I really like the Smith/Geathers pass rush, Geather was getting held all game. You know Justin has to be kicking himself about that missed sack, it's a contract year too.

The pass rush has improved of late....probably due to the LB situation becoming more settled. One thing I found curious was how little Geathers lined up at LB. He lined up as a DE every down until 12 minutes remained in the 2nd quarter....when the Jets moved into the Bengal redzone....and I'm fairly certain that pattern was repeated the rest of the game.

In short, instead of moving Getahers to LB, as claimed, the Bengals simply added a DT in their red zone package and moved Geathers to LB. The base package seemed to be the same.

JJoe actually made a small mental error running the pick in for a TD. Jets were out of timeouts and there were just 46 ticks left on the clock. If he steps out of bounds, Carson comes in, takes a knee twice and it's a 31-23 Bengals win.

:lol:

I know thew above is in jest, but c'mon.....wasn't that his first pick? There's no way he was going to pass up a chance to score after dropping at leat a half dozen chances last year.

BTW, due to an unholy combo of high winds, wildfires, and power outages I missed the last two minutes of the game. Finding out the final score was easy enough to do, but for hours I couldn't understand how BOTH teams had scored.

I know thew above is in jest, but c'mon.....wasn't that his first pick? There's no way he was going to pass up a chance to score after dropping at leat a half dozen chances last year.

Of course not -- and I'm not really knocking him for doing it. But still, the smart play in that situation was to step out of bounds. In the end, tho, it didn't matter.