Lenny P: Lewis Wanted Porter

HoosierCat

Interesting nugget from Lenny, via Josh's Cincyjungle blog:

A GM for Lewis in Cincy? The rumblings out of Cincinnati suggesting that coach Marvin Lewis would like to see Bengals ownership hire a general manager to oversee the team's personnel department are more than a little strange. While it's true that Cincinnati continues to operate with one of the NFL's smallest scouting staffs, even after bolstering its numbers in recent years, Lewis has a ton of input into all personnel decisions, including the draft. Sure, if he could handpick his own general manager, maybe that would help, but insiders insist Lewis already has more than sufficient influence.

Outside of signing a big-time veteran free agent to help the defense, there aren't many things ownership hasn't provided Lewis over the past few seasons. As for that big-time defensive addition, well, the guy Lewis really wanted to sign this spring was linebacker Joey Porter after Pittsburgh released him. Given the number of injuries the Bengals have absorbed at linebacker this year, Porter might have helped. But it's not like the loquacious Porter has made any game-altering plays in Miami, which overspent to sign him as a free agent.

Interesting that Pasqerelli says "the rumblings out of Cincy" versus, say, "rumblings on the Internet." Has he heard the same from his sources as Florio over at PFT has?

As for Porter, well, all I can say is that boy, oh, boy, would that have made for some interesting locker room drama! :lmao:

Other than a body, Porter coming here would've been a bad move for a couple of reasons. First, he had a knee injury just before the season started and I would be concerned (were he a Bengal) that the cumulative total of injuries could make him another candidate for missing some time. He hasn't missed time yet in Miami, but I would be concerned. Second, he's totaled 20 tackles in 6 games, which is incredibly un-incredible. He has no sacks. Compare that to Dhani Jones (hardly the top of anybody's ProBowl ballot) having 14 tackles in 3 games. Porter is just a guy at this point. I'd rather have somebody young who might develop into something in a couple of years. Third, he cost Miami a mint. For everybody who's pissed at the Bengals' personnel moves, how'd you like to be Fins fan about now. Finally, as pointed out by HC, a loudmouth in the locker room who just happened to have posse-jumped your (formerly starting) LOT in the offseason might have been a little more harm than good.

Ignoring the Porter angle....

"The rumblings out of Cincinnati suggesting that coach Marvin Lewis would like to see Bengals ownership hire a general manager to oversee the team's personnel department are more than a little strange."

Yeah, more than a little strange. In fact, I'm betting it's 100% bogus.

"While it's true that Cincinnati continues to operate with one of the NFL's smallest scouting staffs, even after bolstering its numbers in recent years, Lewis has a ton of input into all personnel decisions, including the draft."

Who amongst us thinks Marvin Lewis is the first head coach ever to demand less input and control on draft day? C'mon now, lets see a show of hands. Anybody?

"Sure, if he could handpick his own general manager, maybe that would help, but insiders insist Lewis already has more than sufficient influence."

Yup. Already has more than sufficient influence. Boom.

"Outside of signing a big-time veteran free agent to help the defense, there aren't many things ownership hasn't provided Lewis over the past few seasons."

So there aren't many things ownership hasn't provided Lewis with except for another teams big-time free agent. Well, okay then. And unlike nearly every other coach in the NFL Lewis hasn't been forced to replace his own big-time players, with one exception....which was executed perfectly.

"As for that big-time defensive addition, well, the guy Lewis really wanted to sign this spring was linebacker Joey Porter after Pittsburgh released him."

Not only is this unconfirmed, but if memory serves me well I'd say Lewis did nothing but throw cold water on the idea when Porter was available.

"Given the number of injuries the Bengals have absorbed at linebacker this year, Porter might have helped. But it's not like the loquacious Porter has made any game-altering plays in Miami, which overspent to sign him as a free agent."

Given the number of injuries the Bengals have absorbed at LB it's fair to say ANYBODY would have helped. But the funny thing about this rumor is how it's based upon Lewis coveting an aging & declining player who can best be described as a character risk. Better yet, if the rumor is to be believed our boy Mike saved Lewis from making a very bad decision.

"The rumblings out of Cincinnati suggesting that coach Marvin Lewis would like to see Bengals ownership hire a general manager to oversee the team's personnel department are more than a little strange."

Yeah, more than a little strange. In fact, I'm betting it's 100% bogus.

Could be. But if so, why didn't Lenny just say so? Especially considering that the original report came from Florio; the two of them hate each other and have spilled no end of digital ink and airtime bashing each other. Why pass up a chance to just flat-out debunk Florio, and instead suggest that he's heard the same rumors?

Well there's the rub because if you ignore the Porter addition at the end of the article Lenny does nothing but debunk the rumor.

Actually, he doesn't. He talks around, says it seems strange to him, doesn't make sense...but despite ample opportunity doesn't say it's false. All he had to do is write a lead sentence that went: "The rumblings out of Cincinnati suggesting that coach Marvin Lewis would like to see Bengals ownership hire a general manager to oversee the team's personnel department are false, say club insiders."

And you can't ignore the Porter addition. Why, if the rumors are false, would Lenny immediately follow their "debunking" with an example of how Lewis is not, in fact, in complete control? Frankly, if Lenny means to debunk the rumor with this, he did a poor job.

Actually, he doesn't. He talks around, says it seems strange to him, doesn't make sense...but despite ample opportunity doesn't say it's false.

Perhaps that's due to the fact that it isn't Lenny's job to confront the Bengals front office and confirm or deny rumors started by someone you claim he hates. Maybe he thinks it's enough to openly mock the things claimed in the rumor, which he most certainly does.

Perhaps that's due to the fact that it isn't Lenny's job to confront the Bengals front office and confirm or deny rumors started by someone you claim he hates.

Actually, calling up people to confirm or deny rumors is a big part of a journalist's job.

Perhaps that's due to the fact that it isn't Lenny's job to confront the Bengals front office and confirm or deny rumors started by someone you claim he hates.

Actually, calling up people to confirm or deny rumors is a big part of a journalist's job.

Does that apply to rumors that originate from a discredited website run by a person you say the writer hates?

And how much of Lenny's time do you think he should waste discussing PFT rumors? More than we do, slightly less than us, or none at all? Quite frankly, I envy anyone who can get away with completely ignoring the growing influence of PFFFFFTTTTTT amongst rumor hungry fans..

Finally, it should be noted that Lenny does quote "insiders" when giving the opinion that Lewis already has "sufficient influence".

Does that apply to rumors that originate from a discredited website run by a person you say the writer hates?

Ummm...yeah. Heck, journalists regularly run down anonymous tips.

And how much of Lenny's time do you think he should waste discussing PFT rumors?

Well, that's just it: he isn't discussing a PFT rumor or an Internet rumor, he specifically cites "rumblings out of Cincinnati."

Finally, it should be noted that Lenny does quote "insiders" when giving the opinion that Lewis already has "sufficient influence".

"Sufficient" in whose opinion? And if he did talk to an "insider," I'm sure he asked whether the rumor was true. Again, where's the simple denial?

If Marvin Lewis has "sufficient influence," then he's a worse coach than I ever imagined.

Sure could use KK, Walter (146 rec'ing yards last week), Squirrel, Steinbach and even Simmons this year. Those guys all had roles and you cut dead weight like Willie or over-paid vets like Smith or Robinson or Thorton to keep them. This franchise doesn't. It's the same philosphy they've always used pre-Marvin, which leads me to believe his "influence" is just that, "influence" and not authority or a bottom line, if it would even matter.

And a botched 07 draft didn't help to replace any of those guys, let alone really help this team at all.

If I see Chatman or Tab Perry or Chris Perry or Frostee Wife Beater or Jonathan HurtMahKneeKnee on this roster again next year I'm going to puke in my mouth.

My guess is "Pumpkie" gives Marvin a big wedgie whenever he asks for competent and creative salary cap proposals.

If Marvin Lewis has "sufficient influence," then he's a worse coach than I ever imagined.

I guess the sweetest thing about your rants is the way you blame Mike Brown for not giving Marvin Lewis enough control in one breath and then quickly blame Lewis for the things you think he controls in the next. Meanwhile, you really don't know a thing about either of them. Seriously, not a damn thing. No matter though, because whatever way the wind blows you always conclude that you called it all along.

Hooray.

Sure could use KK, Walter (146 rec'ing yards last week), Squirrel, Steinbach and even Simmons this year. Those guys all had roles and you cut dead weight like Willie or over-paid vets like Smith or Robinson or Thorton to keep them. This franchise doesn't. It's the same philosphy they've always used pre-Marvin, which leads me to believe his "influence" is just that, "influence" and not authority or a bottom line, if it would even matter.

And a botched 07 draft didn't help to replace any of those guys, let alone really help this team at all.

If I see Chatman or Tab Perry or Chris Perry or Frostee Wife Beater or Jonathan HurtMahKneeKnee on this roster again next year I'm going to puke in my mouth.

My guess is "Pumpkie" gives Marvin a big wedgie whenever he asks for competent and creative salary cap proposals.

You love to have your cake and eat it too. That's why I accuse you of being happiest when bad things happen to the team. You bashed Simmons and KWash unmercifully when they were here. Now that they're not here, they were the missing pieces. At least have some degree of integrity. I'm certain that if Thorton (or any of the others you name) were cut in the offseason, he too would've been just the players we now need. Your credibility continues to plummet with me and probably anybody else who reads your posts on a consistent basis. So, now KK and Walter (just because he had a rare big week in a losing cause) would make all the difference??? Please.