Thoughts from Georgetown

Ox

Thoughts from Georgetown

I drove down to watch the Saturday morning 9-11am session.

Things that jumped out/sights seen:

*ESPN's Chris Mortensen watching practice on the sidelines with jeans and a t-shirt on. Marvin came over and spoke to him during practice for about 5-minutes. Chris talked to Chad afterwards. No camera around at that point.

*Sight of the camp...Landon Johnson. Holy crap! And I mean holy crap. He looks like a totally different player. He has added 20-25 lbs of muscle. You should see his upper body. He did it with diet and lifting...and had an offseason to do it without worry of the health of his shoulder. I kept looking at the roster to see his number and then looking at him to see if it really was him. It was.

*What a thrill it must be for Newport Central Catholic/Georgetown QB Jeff Smith to be in camp at his old school, and playing for the Bengals.

*5th round QB Jeff Rowe appeared a little shaky. As one sideline observer said, "Not good when your QB has a wind up like Robin Roberts"

*A very vocal Ed Hartwell yelling at the offense, "The pads are on, were playin' football!"

*TJ Wright, CB out of Ohio U., tipped several passes and looked like he knew what was going on.

*Lines of the day "Hey, Mort, this is the team to beat"....fan yelling from the stands to Chris Mortensen.

"I got a bunch of autographs....I don't know who I got".....fan after practice ended.

*Play of the day: Keiwan picking off a pass and lateraling to Deltha O'Neal...and a fired up O'Neal high fiving teammates

*Catch(es) of the day: Chad up and over Deltha, one hander by Henry, Brazell with a couple of leaping catches

*The whiff: OSU FB Stan White totally whiffing on a tackler.....Jim Anderson was not pleased.

*Did you know? Missouri DE Xzavie Jackson averaged 19 rebounds a game in high school? Florida LB Earl Everett majored in Anthropology? BYU TE Daniel Coats is married and has three kids.

*Awfully nice to spend a practice watching Carson, without watching his knee and weight transfer.

*Kenderick Allen, DT, is HUGE.

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

------------------------------

I'm going to watch the night practice tonight, anyone going?

*Sight of the camp...Landon Johnson. Holy crap! And I mean holy crap. He looks like a totally different player. He has added 20-25 lbs of muscle. You should see his upper body. He did it with diet and lifting...and had an offseason to do it without worry of the health of his shoulder. I kept looking at the roster to see his number and then looking at him to see if it really was him. It was.

Contract year, baby. Landon sees big $$ on the horizon.

*TJ Wright, CB out of Ohio U., tipped several passes and looked like he knew what was going on.

:sure: Go Bobcats!

Thoughts from Georgetown

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

------------------------------

boiler up!

I just found a few more new ones that were posted

*Marvin White, rookie S, looks like if he hit you, you would know it.

*Ahmad Brooks is simply a stunning football figure to look at and watch.

*I could see Kenny Irons really doing some big things this season.

*Former UK/ND offensive coordinator and OSU QB coach Ron Hudson watching practices from the sidelines. He was most recently the QB coach for Hamburg in NFL Europe...and coached Casey Bramlett.

I second that!

Go Matt Muncy too!

Don't forget that muncy is a monster.

OU! Oh YEAH!!

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here... It looks like Landon gained 20-25 pounds of muscle since January ?? 20-25 pounds of muscle in 6 months ?? God I hope there is some amazing new supplement out there that allows that with it being a steroid !!! That is not anywhere near normal... Like I said, correct me if I am wrong here !!!

WHODEY !!!

Landon has long been relative favorite of mine. Maybe he'll make Hartwell fight for that weakside job?

This was my favorite bit:

*Play of the day: Keiwan picking off a pass and lateraling to Deltha O'Neal...and a fired up O'Neal high fiving teammates

I went to the 7-9pm on Sat. and i second the shaky look by Rowe. I cannot believe we spent a pick on him. Very questionable. I thought the 4th string QB looked better.

:bengal:

Give him some time.

He's a rookie......I'm sure he'll turn out OK.

Landon has long been relative favorite of mine. Maybe he'll make Hartwell fight for that weakside job?

Yeah, maybe Deltha will actually care this year. :cheers::sure:

Contract year. He'll be balls out, I'm just scared of him trying to jump routes and getting burned trying to inflate that interception total and land a big deal next year.

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here... It looks like Landon gained 20-25 pounds of muscle since January ?? 20-25 pounds of muscle in 6 months ?? God I hope there is some amazing new supplement out there that allows that with it being a steroid !!! That is not anywhere near normal... Like I said, correct me if I am wrong here !!!

WHODEY !!!

I read a study several years ago that stated that a normal person of average stature can gain only 8-10 lbs. of muscle in a year. Greater weight gain is certainly possible, but for a normal person the added weight won't be lean muscle mass. However, large professional athletes who play positions that put a premium on size were said to be capable of gaining as much as 18-20 lbs. of lean muscle mass in a year. In rare examples even greater gains were possible. In addition, in all examples most of the muscle gain is added in the first few months with additional gains becoming increasingly difficult. Train too hard and you can actually start breaking muscle tissue down, right?

In the Landon Johnson example the numbers quoted seem to be pushing the envelope of credibility, but perhaps not. The claim that he's gained 20-25 can probably be filed under wild ass guesses, right? And if the gain was a more modest 15-18 lbs. then it falls into the range the study claimed was possible. Plus, how much of the weight gain is actual lean muscle mass and how much is bulk or fluid gains?

Last, I no longer remember the source of the study but recall that was quoted in Cleveland newspapers after Tim Couch reported to camp after gaining 18 lbs. in less than 8 months....prompting some Cleveland sportswriters to wonder if such a weight gain was possible for a QB without using steroids or HGH.

Contract year. He'll be balls out, I'm just scared of him trying to jump routes and getting burned trying to inflate that interception total and land a big deal next year.

Maybe he should be afraid of getting yanked if he does.

Or maybe he should be afraid of losing his job to Leon Hall.