Thurman to appeal

El Tigere

One of Odell Thurman's representatives says he plans to file an appeal through the NFL Players Association early next week of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's decision to extend Thurman's suspension for another year.

"We've got the backing of the team and the appeal should be received Monday," said Safarrah Lawson on Friday night, a day after Goodell's decision shelved Thurman for the second straight season. "We feel like he has complied with the guidelines set down by the league. He hasn't had a positive test. He's been clean and they can test him up to 10 times a month."

An NFLPA lawyer will try to make the case with Goodell, who hears the appeals of his sanctions.

"He's extremely disappointed," said Lawson of Thurman. "He was where he had to be whenever he had to be there."

Goodell has a mixed record on his recent appeals. Pacman Jones withdrew his appeal of his one-year suspension for violations of the conduct policy after meeting with the commissioner. Two weeks ago Goodell reduced Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen's four-game suspension to two for two DUIs

F U Goodell!!!!!!!

I might be wrong but I can not remember any player receiving in essence a 2 yr (at least) suspension.

What Odell did in the past was bad, but this denial seems a bit excessive. However, if Odell has done

something that violated last years agreement then I would be fine with the additional length.

I hope Odell does appeal, if for no other reason than to draw attention to the length of the suspension and perhaps force an explanation from Goodell. Because if you didn't notice the news of Goodells refusal to reinstate Thurman often went unreported in many sports media outlets due to the Mike Vick media storm.

In addition, I'd like to see the Bengals offer an actual statement of open support for Thurman instead of simply stating the obvious facts that it's a bad break for Odell and everyones disappointed, blah, blah, blah. Don't just say that he's family or a valued teammate and then do nothing. Fight for the guy. Make the argument that Odell's best chance of being rehabilitated involves returning to work and being amongst those who support him.

I have been leary of relying on Odell. I can just imagine a Stanley Wilson moment in his future. The Bengals cannot yet count on him.

However, on an individual basis, Odell has got to have some rights. A DUI is a crime and well it should be. He has paid the consequences for his actions to the court and to the NFL. To extend his NFL punishment to 32 games smacks of double jeopardy. It seems like he is being punished twice for the same offense. It seems arbitrary and excessive. It also seems wrong to extend his punishment based on second hand hearsay about a party in Georgia that he was not charged for. And it cant be good for an alcoholic to spend another year away from his support group(team).

Yo! Emperor Godell! Do the right thing!

:bengal:

I hope Odell does appeal, if for no other reason than to draw attention to the length of the suspension and perhaps force an explanation from Goodell. Because if you didn't notice the news of Goodells refusal to reinstate Thurman often went unreported in many sports media outlets due to the Mike Vick media storm.

The denial did get play on espn.com, foxsports, sportsline, etc., ie.e the usual players BUT I never saw any mention on nfl.com -- which did post stories about Pacman not being able to go to camp, etc., in addition to the Vick thing. I thought that was...odd...like someone hoping no one would notice. Just an observation.

In addition, I'd like to see the Bengals offer an actual statement of open support for Thurman instead of simply stating the obvious facts that it's a bad break for Odell and everyones disappointed, blah, blah, blah. Don't just say that he's family or a valued teammate and then do nothing. Fight for the guy. Make the argument that Odell's best chance of being rehabilitated involves returning to work and being amongst those who support him.

Agreed. Mike Brown has a real chance to step up here, I think, and maybe erase some of that '90s taint.

Agreed. Mike Brown has a real chance to step up here, I think, and maybe erase some of that '90s taint.

Thirded. I don't think there's any way Odell will get this reduced if nobody stands behind him. Unfortunately, I'd be surprised to see the Bengals take an active role in this. It'd sorta contradict the "Odell isn't on our team and we won't talk about him" attitude they've been taking on since last offseason.

Did I miss something in the offseason?? Yeah he got popped on a drug test. So have many other players.

Did he shoot a limo driver?

Did he shoot up a strip club?

Did he run a dog fighting ring?

Is he part of a terrorist cell?

Did he try to out run police officers in Atlanta?

Did he try to pick up a prostitute that turned out to be a cop on the night before the superbowl?

Was he on the boat in Minnesota?

Did he hit a valet with his car?

Did he run into a police officer with his car?

Has he been funneling money to the players at his school?

Has he tried leaving the country to play some where else?

Man this just reaks of straight up bull&*it.

You know the last time someone took over without being questioned on motive or relavence we ended up with Hitler in control in Germany.

Any show of support would be welcome no matter where it comes from, but I think it's Marvin's job. He's assumed the role as the public face of the franchise and he's the one who'll work most closely with Odell.

Frankly, I think Marvin has handled things perfectly to date by repeating over and over gain that Thurman isn't on the roster, isn't a part of the team, etc. By doing so he's made it clear that he understands the power Goodell has and the seriousness of the situation. That said, if you really believe that the punishment doesn't fit the crime then there's no harm in showing support for Thurman's appeal. Because let's face it, after hearing the appeal Goodell could reduce the suspension by 8 games and it woud STILL seem excessive.

Sadly, I expect more of the same old same old and wouldn't be suprised if Lewis says little more than...."We'll move on."

I've been out of the loop for a couple weeks now and must say that I'm dissapointed in the decision with Odell. I'm glad he's planning an appeal and agree the club should show support for him. Keeping Odell from playing isn't going to solve his personal problems THAT HE HAS ALREADY PAID FOR !!! This must be a very depressing situation for Odell and it seems by keeping him from football would put him in a situation LESS conducive to someone that has had the issues he has and has worked so hard to get back to this point in his career. For some, this might push them to such a depressed state, well, it could get ugly... While I'm all about accountability for your actions, it seems (Unless I don't know something) Odell has done what he suppose to... I'm at a point where I feel sorry for Odell.

WHODEY !!!

Even though Odell may get his suspension reduced, I find it very difficult for him to make it back on the field this year. With no practice and no weight training Marvin will either cut him or put him on a list, of some sort, making him lose the valuble experience. I'm trying to stay optimistic about the whole ordeal, but Marvin, being the way he is, will not let Odell prove his way back on the field or if he does it will be extremely limited like say ST's only; IMO.

How do you know he hasn't been weight training? just because he's on the team doesn't mean he can't hit a gym.

Kaz, you know damn well most players (especially linebackers) have plenty of workout equipment/free weights at home.

Shouldn't get anymore than 2 games... Something isn't right here.

I thought the same, that is until I read the thread from go-bengals that HC provided: http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=33861

After reading the logic of that, I became greatly discouraged that there will be a reduction in the year-long suspension. At best, I see this going down to a 12 game suspension or something of the sort. But my bet is (unfortunately ... and IMO unfairly) it will remain at 1 more year.

Jared Allen gets TWO DUI's and gets TWO games

Odell misses drug tests and gets ONE DUI and gets TWO years

Where's the fairness in that? Seriously, I bet when Goodell laid down that suspension he said to himself, "wow, this is excessive". Sadly at this point I'd be thrilled if it was dropped to 8 games.

On the face of it, it doesn't seem fair/right. A bit of overkill to say the least. But that's on the face of it, and I wonder if there's been any further infringment of substances which have showed up on tests, missed tests etc etc. If so, I'm sure the Bengals, as his employer, would have been informed and that could be why there's a lack of publicised support from the front office.

Also, I can't imagined Goodell would have meated out another years ban thinking it wouldn't be open to appeal/litigation. If he reduces/recinds the ban then he weakens his position on other current and future disciplinary matters such as this. I just can't see he's handed this out without being on a 100% sure footing.

I believe this issue still has a way to run but also believe there's no smoke without fire here.

Shouldn't get anymore than 2 games... Something isn't right here.

I thought the same, that is until I read the thread from go-bengals that HC provided: http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=33861

After reading the logic of that, I became greatly discouraged that there will be a reduction in the year-long suspension. At best, I see this going down to a 12 game suspension or something of the sort. But my bet is (unfortunately ... and IMO unfairly) it will remain at 1 more year.

I don't care about that guys opinion, the suspension isn't right. If he's an alcoholic, he can't just quit drinking overnight. Give it some time. He didn't get in trouble while drinking (No charges came from this so-called Monticello incident)... It's either that Rodger's judging Odell or he has something against the Bengals, nothing else.

Also, I can't imagined Goodell would have meated out another years ban thinking it wouldn't be open to appeal/litigation. If he reduces/recinds the ban then he weakens his position on other current and future disciplinary matters such as this.

Perhaps not. Goodell's reputation as America's favorite hardass is now well established, but after reducing J. Allens suspension it's a good bet that Chief fans probably consider him remarkably compassionate and fair. Besides, after refusing to allow Thurman to return for another season I'm guessing absolutely nothing is going to change the initial perception in Cincinnati that Goodell is a hardliner/dickhead.

It's official....

Thurman request sent

By GEOFF HOBSON

July 31, 2007

Comments (0) | Post a Comment

3:05 p.m.

John Michels, the attorney for Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman, has sent a letter to the NFL Players Association requesting that the union appeal Thurman's second one-year suspension from the NFL.

"We believe that he's jumped through the hoops that he was asked to jump through and that he's a good candidate for reinstatement," Michels said Tuesday.

The NFLPA has 30 days to notify commissioner Roger Goodell's office of an appeal that Michels terms "an uphill battle."

Because of the strict privacy guidelines of the league's substance abuse policy, Michels said it's "a black box process," for not only the public but for him.

Michels says he's not aware of "any definable event," that has prevented Thurman from being reinstated. He says the league may be working off factors that can't be quantified.

"We may be talking about a gradient, a slope of behavior that past a certain point he's not reinstated. But without a definable event, I don't know," Michels said.

"I think our position has to be, ?Look, he sat out for a year and he did what was asked,''' Michels said. "The reinstatement policy says to look at conduct over the period of suspension. Our position is that it was good enough to get back in. If they think it's a problem, then doesn't it make more sense to put him back in the league where he's around the club and teammates can provide a little reinforcement? If the program is designed to provide help for those who need it, I'm not sure this is helping."

Michels said he's not aware if an incident in Thurman's hometown of Monticello, Ga., last month figured in the decision. Two men accused Thurman of assault at an early-morning party, but dropped the charges before the case came before a magistrate.

The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that the NFL did ask Jasper County officlals for information about that case.

"Odell was surprised and he's very disappointed," Michels said of his client's current mind frame. "I think right now he's taking a deep breath and asking, ?What next?"'

keep your head up Odell and stay away from the liquor, it won't help the situation.

I think this will turn out good for Odell, if more attention is paid to this situation it could force Goodell to be more open about his reasoning and if there is no sound reason why then maybe the decision will get over turned, by the guy who made it last week :huh: , good luck though Odell. :(