Bengals’ Lewis heads list of coaches on hot seat

Ox

Bengals’ Lewis heads list of coaches on hot seat

Del Rio, Coughlin, Fisher, Gruden also under pressure to produce

By Steve Silverman

MSNBC contributor

Updated: 2:42 p.m. ET July 3, 2007

Few coaches have ever been in better position than Tony Dungy or Lovie Smith. The two friends led the Colts and Bears, respectively, into the Super Bowl and the game was a memorable moment for them and the coaching community.

No matter what happens in 2007, both should be safe for at least one more year on the NFL sidelines.

But there are many others who will begin the season on a much shorter leash. Five have to produce winning seasons or they will almost certainly be gone, and five other coaches also have concerns going into the new season.

Marvin Lewis, Bengals

It looked so promising for Lewis after the 2005 season. The Bengals had won the AFC North, tossing aside years of losing and jokes from talk-show hosts to become one of the most explosive teams in the league. But when Carson Palmer was lost with a severe knee injury in the Bengals’ wild-card playoff loss to the Steelers, the franchise went into reverse. Not only did the team struggle in 2006 with an 8-8 record, the Bengals became the poster boys for commissioner Roger Goodell’s zero-tolerance policy for criminal behavior. The Bengals have had 10 players run afoul of the law since Jan. 1, 2006, and Lewis will bear the responsibility for turning the situation around. Not only do the Bengals have to return to the playoffs, but they have to change their off-the-field behavior and show that they can become solid citizens. It might not be Lewis’s fault, but the head coach is the symbol of the franchise, and owner Mike Brown never has shown the inclination to take the pressure off of his top lieutenant.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19562017/

I woulden't doubt it if marvin posted a losing season he'd be in the hot season but theres alot of coaches ahead of him.

Fox,Romeo,del rio etc.

That's a big "If" Kaz. I see another 8-8 season AT WORST for Cincinnati this year.

A losing season would be very difficult for Lewis and this team, however, I don't think even that would cause us to see the departure of coach Lewis. This reporter is just another in the long line of guys who can't see beyond the arrests. How about an offense that is coming back with all key components and Carson Palmer who threw for over 4000 yards coming off of a possible career ending injury ?? How about all the injuries ?? A defense that is getting closer and closer to being a solid unit ?? Lewis is a HUGE reason this team is no longer what they were during the 90's.

The way I see it is, as long as Crennel is coaching (can't fault him for injuries though) Marvin is safe !!!

WHODEY !!!

A losing season would be very difficult for Lewis and this team, however, I don't think even that would cause us to see the departure of coach Lewis.

Agreed. It'd put him on the hot seat, but he'd still have at least one more chance to get the team back on track.

Come on people, be honest. If the Bengals have another 8-8 or worse record this year with the offense this team has, there will be riots in the streets of Bengaldom. The Carson Palmer era is only going to be around so many years, and a guy like him only comes around once every few decades. If the Bengals can't make the play-off barrier this year, it's only another wasted year. Marvin Lewis was tauted as a defensive genius yet this team is already on their second defensive coordinator under Lewis, and has yet to break into the top 10 in the league despite Lewis having 4 years to get his scheme into place and bring in players to fit it.

Everyone remembers the horrible years and how long Schula was allowed to stick around. That is all Mike Browns fault. If he had the same records with any other team in the NFL, he would have been fired after his first three seasons (See Denny Green).

Come on people, be honest. If the Bengals have another 8-8 or worse record this year with the offense this team has, there will be riots in the streets of Bengaldom.

Well, whether Marvin is on the hot seat with fans is an altogether different question than the one raised in the article -- that he's on the hot seat with Mikey and is in danger of losing his job. Short of an absolute disaster (meaning an 0-4 win season), the only way Marvin is going anywhere is if he quits.

Now, among us fans, is Marvin on the hot seat? Well, duh. We want a Lombardi and we want it yesterday. And if we don't get it, there will be some level of griping no matter how good the Bengals do. Is that fair to Marvin? Absolutely and categorically not -- but when you take a HC job in the NFL (especially one that's been in the crapper forever) that's part and parcel of what you sign on for. Hell, we all know how well the Steelers did in the Cowher era. They had consistent winning season, regularly made the playoffs, even the Super Bowl a couple times. But since it took so long for the Chin to actually win the Big Game, there was widepread dissatisfaction among Steeler fans, to the point where one of the more popular Pitt sites was firebillcowher.com. In other words, Pitt fans wanted to fire their coach for a record Bengals fans would have killed for. Same thing is true everywhere else around the league: if you're an NFL HC and you aren't hoisting a Super Bowl trophy at the end of the season, some portion of the fanbase is going to say you suck no matter how well you did.

Well, whether Marvin is on the hot seat with fans is an altogether different question than the one raised in the article -- that he's on the hot seat with Mikey and is in danger of losing his job. Short of an absolute disaster (meaning an 0-4 win season), the only way Marvin is going anywhere is if he quits.

Too true, Hoosier. However, another element in the mix is that little Mikey is getting old - he hides it well ( 'cause he has always acted like an octogenarian) but he's approaching decrepid. If / When he gives up the reins, it will probably be to daughter Katie - and there is NO telling what that looney tune will do.

There's a story among those in the residential construction industry in Cincinnati, that has reached mythic proportions - Katie chose a small builder for her new house in Indian Hill, who thought he would have the opportunity to build his 'signature' showpiece. Katie got so involved with the nuts & bolts, demanded so many stupid and unnecessary changes (i.e. Eliminated central air-conditioning DURING construction) that the builder ended up losing his shirt - and is now out of the industry.

Will Marvin tolerate a micro-manager? Will Katie tolerate a strong-minded coach? I'd bet "NO".

There's a story among those in the residential construction industry in Cincinnati, that has reached mythic proportions - Katie chose a small builder for her new house in Indian Hill, who thought he would have the opportunity to build his 'signature' showpiece. Katie got so involved with the nuts & bolts, demanded so many stupid and unnecessary changes (i.e. Eliminated central air-conditioning DURING construction) that the builder ended up losing his shirt - and is now out of the industry.

Will Marvin tolerate a micro-manager? Will Katie tolerate a strong-minded coach? I'd bet "NO".

Well, I have no direct experience of Katie...but I have yet to meet a woman who isn't a control freak when it comes to houses.

Just as an example, my wife loved our new home before we moved in last year.

Then we actually moved in.

And suddenly the whole place needed to be painted.

And the doors were all wrong (closets included).

And there wasn't enough storage space.

And the backyard was fine except for the deck, trees, and all the shrubbery.

And the kitchen? Lovely, except for the floor, countertops, cabinets, appliances and island. Ditto the bathrooms: fine except for the tubs, cabinets, fixtures and mirrors.

Oh, and the light fixtures and ceiling fans in every room? Had to go.

And people wonder why I drink...

Marvin Lewis, Bengals

It looked so promising for Lewis after the 2005 season. The Bengals had won the AFC North, tossing aside years of losing and jokes from talk-show hosts to become one of the most explosive teams in the league. But when Carson Palmer was lost with a severe knee injury in the Bengals’ wild-card playoff loss to the Steelers, the franchise went into reverse. Not only did the team struggle in 2006 with an 8-8 record, the Bengals became the poster boys for commissioner Roger Goodell’s zero-tolerance policy for criminal behavior. The Bengals have had 10 players run afoul of the law since Jan. 1, 2006, and Lewis will bear the responsibility for turning the situation around. Not only do the Bengals have to return to the playoffs, but they have to change their off-the-field behavior and show that they can become solid citizens. It might not be Lewis’s fault, but the head coach is the symbol of the franchise, and owner Mike Brown never has shown the inclination to take the pressure off of his top lieutenant.

Doesn't it sorta feels like a companion piece to the article that rated owners? Both performance reviews completely ignore all other relevant job factors and focus on the one bone the media has greedily and incompetently chewed upon for months.

That said, my favorite part was the opening line. I guess 2005 is so long ago that it no longer matters.

Still, I know that both articles are exactly the type that appeal to fans like our own Kid Steakhouse so it's no mystery why they were written.

The Bengals have had 10 players run afoul of the law since Jan. 1, 2006, and Lewis will bear the responsibility for turning the situation around. Not only do the Bengals have to return to the playoffs, but they have to change their off-the-field behavior and show that they can become solid citizens. It might not be Lewis’s fault, but the head coach is the symbol of the franchise, and owner Mike Brown never has shown the inclination to take the pressure off of his top lieutenant.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19562017/

Man, 10 arrests in 18 months...INCREDIBLE!!!! Well, actually, not so much. How much longer can last year's story have legs? I guess it seems a little more exciting and inciteful (no, not insightful) than "1 arrest since Jan. 1, 2007." I suppose this grist will continue to be the norm until people actually start playing football.

It also seems kinda funny to me to say that Brown hasn't done anything to "take the pressure off" of Lewis. What is he supposed to do -- give the dreaded "vote of confidence" to his coach. Doesn't consistently extending his contract (which kinda makes the whole "hot seat" idea ridiculous) mean more than some pithy statement of support to reporters. And exactly what kind of support is a coach supposed to need from an owner when the "problem" everybody's up in arms about is players getting arrested? Am I taking crazy pills???

Does Silverman even cover the NFL on a regular basis, does he know what state the franchise was in before Lewis arrived, does he know that Mike Brown was more responsible for the "character concerns" type of guys who came through the doors more than Marvin was?

This guy is a joke and a bad journalist, he exposed his obivious lack of knowledge by publishing this rubbish he calls an article.

Coachs on the Hot Seat

Brian Billick

Romeo Crennel

Jack Del Rio

Tom Coughlin

Joe Gibbs

Jon Gruden

Jon Fox

See how easy that was, Steve Silverman is a moron.

The only way Marvin will be gone next year is if we end up with a 2-14 season, he's arrested for beating a player or a DUI. Marvin has done wonders for the team and the city. He isn't going anywhere. And if he is relieved of his command, I'll vote for him if he runs for the Mayor of Cincinnati. In Marvin we trust.

I can't imagine Marvin would head the list although I heard Marvin himself say he believes he will be on the hot seat if the Bengals don't win this season. The character issue could also play a role with this line of thinking, but I think Marvin certainly has bought himself more time and no way should be first or even in the top 10 on the hot seat list.

For a franchise that almost prided itself on losing throughout the 1990's, Marvin has yet to have a losing season and his teams are light years ahead of the Shula/Coslet/LeBeau teams.

I expect BIG things from the Bengals this season and I think Marvin will do his best coaching job this season.

This doesn't make any sense, and it's pretty clear the writer doesn't do much research. It's pretty much common knowledge that most/all of the "problem children" were Mikey picks. So the theory is that Mike picks criminals, they get arrested, and Marvin takes the fall for it? No way.

Marvin's had 3 straight non-losing seasons, and no losing seasons period. That's more than we had in the previous 15 years. He ain't going anywhere.

If this team doesn't win, it's because we haven't had enough help through the draft, causing us to be weak at DT and LB (maybe).

I woulden't doubt it if marvin posted a losing season he'd be in the hot season but theres alot of coaches ahead of him.

Fox,Romeo,del rio etc.

That's a big "If" Kaz. I see another 8-8 season AT WORST for Cincinnati this year.

no doubt 8-8 if everything goes wrong like last year with 10-6 - 12-4 being very possible