4th Round: Marvin White

ArmyBengal

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tasher, why did you describe his speed as "off the charts"?

Just to shut everybody up. :P

:sure:

:D

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=360&p=8&a...amp;nid=2705458

Says that one of his top strengths is closing speed, I was not referring to his 40 time which is in the high 4.4s or low 4.5s depending on which source you look at, I was talking about in pads, football playing speed. :huh:

Not sure what all the fuss is about. He carried a 4th round grade in most places I've seen, and is said to be a player who improved his ability to diagnose plays every season. And a 4.5 timing is pretty darn impressive for any FS/SS hybrid whose last name isn't Landry. So the physical upside is there as is the probability that his best football is ahead of him....something Marvin has repeatedly said is a draft priority. And finally, it was a screaming need.

That said, I'll admit that when the pick was announced I shed one single salty tear for my Ben Patrick fantasy....until I reminded myself that he might be there in the 5th. (He won't be.)

This kid will put fear in the hearts of receivers coming over the middle -- and its about time we had one of these!!

I like the pick. :sure:

I was looking at Zak DeOssie as a possibility at this point -- but I'm happy with White.

ML may have his 5 ideal guys laid out, and this one may have had the best chance of being gone by next round. I'm glad he didn't take a player he didn't really like just because other teams were going to take him.

This sentence is all I need to read with a 4th rounder:

He also has the speed, natural athletic ability and motor to improve with good coaching at the next level.

Well, seeing it play out, watching the footage, and taking a few deep breaths, I am warming to this pick - already. Wow. It's coming a lot easier than last year (*laff*)

I'll give it a B for now, personally. The evident high character raises it from a C+

If Durant had fallen to us - one lousy slot, dammit - I'd be grading our picks to this point as an overall A.

Second round last year was eerily similar, tho - we got Whitworth instead of Fasano, taken just a pick or two earlier, and that worked out better than fine.

Fine pick by me. No question the guy has the physical skills, and even if he isn't the sharpest tack in the box, he isnt going to asked to step in right away. He'll get playing time in a rotation with Dexter and Madieu and have the chance to come up to speed at his own pace.

This one is pretty questionable. The guy may well be a decent player, but couldn't he have been had in r6 or later?

Right position, wrong player for the round. It helps that he seems to be a high character, high motor guy.

Someone said his speed is "off the charts" - 4.53 is very average for a safety....so I don't understand that comment. He's fast enough, yes, but not "off the charts". Were you reading it as 4.35?

I'll grade this pick a C minus.

Agree with TJ...like the pick, wrong round. WE have failed to address the LB or DL effectivly and it is pissing me off

Oh, you mean like with our third round pick?

That Ahmad Brooks guy?

Hoosier, I really do like the idea of him learning from Dexter, that should help his football IQ a ton. White's a pick that we may look back on three years from now with real appreciation for what Cincy got done in the 4th...

Why would we have taken a DL or LB? And who? Anyone we would have taken would never have been a starter for us, and we already have plenty of special teams players. We have addressed 3 of our top needs- CB, S, and RB. We could use a backup TE, but after Miller and Olsen, all the rest of these guys pretty much suck. They're just bodies, scrubs. And maybe a big DT. But RB is a bigger need than both of those positions. Combine that witht he fact that Irons will actually contribute, I don't know what you would have preferred.

Hey, TJ...

From the Bengals article...

"The scouts say he projects more to a free safety than a strong, but the Bengals won’t put a label on him. He’s got 4.43 speed and Coyle loves his finishing speed. The knock on him is that he really doesn’t project as a strong because he doesn’t react quickly or grasp defenses quickly."

4.43 for a safety qualifies as off the charts in my opinion. :)

This one is pretty questionable. The guy may well be a decent player, but couldn't he have been had in r6 or later?

Right position, wrong player for the round. It helps that he seems to be a high character, high motor guy.

Someone said his speed is "off the charts" - 4.53 is very average for a safety....so I don't understand that comment. He's fast enough, yes, but not "off the charts". Were you reading it as 4.35?

I'll grade this pick a C minus.

Damn this is a letdown. I came by here hoping to see you going off like you always do on draft day. Dissapointing showing from you this year TJ.

For our next pick, can you say "GET MIKE BROWN OUT OF THE DRAFT ROOM" for me, regaurdless of who we pick. Id really appreciate it.

BTW, the 40 time doesnt matter, watch him play, hes fast as hell on the field.

Hey, TJ...

From the Bengals article...

"The scouts say he projects more to a free safety than a strong, but the Bengals won’t put a label on him. He’s got 4.43 speed and Coyle loves his finishing speed. The knock on him is that he really doesn’t project as a strong because he doesn’t react quickly or grasp defenses quickly."

Sounds like the kind of guy we've been looking for -- athletic and fast but can lay some wood too. Marvin and Chuck like to say how they don't have a "FS" and "SS" in their scheme -- they want guys who are more interchangeable. This pick seems perfect.

Finally - a SAFETY!

Hey, TJ...

<snippy snip from Hobson fluff piece>

Ah, Ok. Fair enough. The 4.3 guys are off the chart to me, but I see your point. Where I was coming from that everything I was reading was mid to high 4.5's. Thanks for the explanation.

40 time doesnt matter, watch him play, hes fast as hell on the field.

Will someone PLEASE GET DONTPUSHME OUT OF THE DRAFT ROOM!!!!

*grin*

Ok, buddy, we understand, speed is of no importance in the game of football. Thanks for the clarification.

Now back to the picks....

Hey, TJ...

<snippy snip from Hobson fluff piece>

Ah, Ok. Fair enough. The 4.3 guys are off the chart to me, but I see your point. Where I was coming from that everything I was reading was mid to high 4.5's. Thanks for the explanation.

40 time doesnt matter, watch him play, hes fast as hell on the field.

Will someone PLEASE GET DONTPUSHME OUT OF THE DRAFT ROOM!!!!

*grin*

Ok, buddy, we understand, speed is of no importance in the game of football. Thanks for the clarification.

Now back to the picks....

LMAO, props.

BTW i wasnt saying speed isnt important, im actually one of the guys who defends the 40 time. Just saying if you watch White on tape he plays really fast.