2nd Round: Kenny Irons

ArmyBengal

I think the Bengals should have traded up and taken JeMarcus Russel...I'm still not sold on Palmer because he hasn't shown he plays well in the must-win big games.... :rolleyes:

Besides how many runs has Carson had over 10-15 yards? Yep, that Palmer guy is definitely expendable.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people just don't get it. RB is a need.

Agreeing...with JoePong...twice in one day...head...must...not...explode...:lmao:

No, it's not a need. It's an upgrade. We were fine at RB, but we definitely upgraded from questionable to probable -- if that even makes sense.

We were not fine at RB. We sucked. We were right around last in the NFL in runs over 10 or 15 yards. We had nobody who could do anything.

No, that has nothing to do with "need". You're saying we "need" because the flashy pretty numbers were a bit off. The flashy pretty numbers existed in 2005 -- stable offensive line. And if you're solely blaming our RB for their lack of production, I think you're giving a free pass to the offensive line -- which kinda have something to do with the success of a RB.

I'm not blasting the pick, I think there's benefits here. Like, at the time, I didn't believe drafting Chris Perry was a "need", but big-time beneficial to our offense -- which it was in 2005 (our only winning season, coincidence?)

But I will challenge anyone calling this position a need position. You're merely saying this team should take existing running backs and replace them. That's an upgrade. Having two QBs, one of which is labeled as one of the most annoying NFL players in the world, is a need. Because god forbid, if Palmer goes down we're in more trouble than any combination of Rudi/Perry/Watson/Irons.

In the offense the Bengals have Rudi is the PERFECT back. He is a guy that can grind it out and run time off the clock. Defenses have to put an extra guy in the box, which allows for the big time pass plays.

So...wontt hurt to have yet another threat out of the backfield, right? Won't hurt even to have Rudi in Q4 getting his, say, 15th carry versus his 25th? Bigger running threat -- and beyond Rudi face it we ain't had nuttin' since Corey Dillon -- equals that guy in the box equals Chad (or in the last 8 games Henry) running man-on-man. I (unlike JoePong) don't see this pick as any skin off Rudi's nose...this just promises more opportunites for big plays. :sure:

Marvin clearly said in his brief interview on ESPN2 that the Irons pick was: 1) Due to Perry's injury, and 2) Defensive players being taken. Listen, if Marvin is concerned about Perry's injury, and, as he said, "Watson is the third down back", then this pick makes a ton of sense when you have effectively already used your 3rd round pick on the defense.

The past couple of years we have been light on RB/FB on the roster where most clubs tend to carry more than the Bengals have. Now some of that has been due to injury.

If you will recall, Rudi was drafted and sat behind Corey for a couple of years before he emerged and made Corey expendable. Could Irons be in the same vein? Or maybe if CP gets healthy it is CP and KI? Who knows. KI is the next rated back after AP and ML, maybe with the exception of Bush, but he is still injured and we already have enough injured RBs at the moment. So getting the 3rd or 4th best back and a 4.5 guy with the 49th pick is pretty good in my opinion. We knew that Marvin wanted another back. Why does it matter if it is 49th or 5th / 6th round at the end of the day?

:cheers:

In the offense the Bengals have Rudi is the PERFECT back. He is a guy that can grind it out and run time off the clock. Defenses have to put an extra guy in the box, which allows for the big time pass plays.

So...wontt hurt to have yet another threat out of the backfield, right? Won't hurt even to have Rudi in Q4 getting his, say, 15th carry versus his 25th? Bigger running threat -- and beyond Rudi face it we ain't had nuttin' since Corey Dillon -- equals that guy in the box equals Chad (or in the last 8 games Henry) running man-on-man. I (unlike JoePong) don't see this pick as any skin off Rudi's nose...this just promises more opportunites for big plays. :sure:

Sure it will even extand Rudi's career which will make Rudi more money in the long term, BUT it is a reach at this point when there is more glaring "needs". Since the Bengals passed on Crowder and Charles Johnson I expect Justin Smith will be in the fold long term. Since they didn't get the LB they wanted, I am guessing Ed Hartwell will be in town this week picking out his jersey number, but there were still guys out there that would fill holes more than what drafting Irons in the second round does. For what the are going to use Irons for, they could have filled in round 4.

A small FYI, of the top 7 teams with the most 20+ yard runs, only two made the playoffs (SD, Tenn)... just egging on that debate. Sorry mods.

Marvin clearly said in his brief interview on ESPN2 that the Irons pick was: 1) Due to Perry's injury,

I saw that too. It was an interesting reason because Irons, at least on ESPN.com's Draft Tracker, has one flag... durability. Not that I don't like the pick, just an odd reason... but who knows? I once thought Akili Smith would be the next god.

(hummm, god of suckage?)

Upgrading is a need, Kirk. Irons is an upgrade over Watson. Perry is on ice and Q-Wilson is not enough change up should Rudi have to sit.

My only real concern is his inury history. If they checked him out and he can fly then this pick works for me. Bumed that Harris was grabbed...LB/DT is a still a need.

I think I might be getting an Irons jersey :bengal:

Get 2 and send one of them to Spain, PLEASE. :lmao:

We all knew that a RB was on the menu this draft. So we got one in the 2ed opposed to the 4th. I think Irons could be sold as best player available and his position is a clear area of need...among many. Next up DT, tomorrow.

Sad about Perry though. I hated his pick back in 2004, I'm not right often in my pro football thinking, regret being right about him though. PUP this year? Cut?

Upgrading is a need, Kirk.

I guess that's a way to look at it.

However, boys, when it's all said and done, with these picks AND all 97 players returning from injury, this 2007 Bengals could be pretty farking sweet.

Get 2 and send one of them to Spain, PLEASE. :lmao:

You have no idea how hard I'm laughing right now... (emoticons do not do it justice)

BUT it is a reach at this point when there is more glaring "needs".

Sure. I would have loved Ben Patrick here -- TE is a more glaring need. I've been arguing for days -- weeks, months-- that the offensive skill positions could not be ignored on day 1. TJ is 30, Chad 29, Rudi 28, top draft picks have been slanted D in the Marvin era and outside FAs run about 6-1 defense vs. offense. If Carson doesn't have a running game we are screwed, and Rudi is gonna die out there if we keep running him 5,000 times a year. We've already gone 2 to 1 D vs. O (Hall, Brooks vs. Irons), who vs. Irons was going our jump our D to top 10? Tank Tyler? OK, I would have been happy there too. But I understand the Irons pick, and I'm good with it.

But I understand the Irons pick, and I'm good with it.

Ditto.

And I think EndTheDrought2007 makes a good point about knowing something will happen, so what does it matter when it will happen. And I'm sure we can get guys to supplement the need positions. And the 4,253 players returning from injury will make it like a 20-player draft.

Some people just don't get it. RB is a need.

Agreeing...with JoePong...twice in one day...head...must...not...explode...:lmao:

No, it's not a need. It's an upgrade. We were fine at RB, but we definitely upgraded from questionable to probable -- if that even makes sense.

We were not fine at RB. We sucked. We were right around last in the NFL in runs over 10 or 15 yards. We had nobody who could do anything.

For chrissakes. 1. You don't measure the success of a running game from long runs. You measure it by success on 1st down and 3rd and short, which Rudi's good at. 2. We have a passing game for the long plays. So what, you want a scatback who can't convert 3rd down? That'd be great. 3. The reason we don't have long runs isn't because of Rudi, it's because Chad sucks as a blocker downfield and Housh was too hurt to do it. We've been over this, and Marvin's said the same thing.

No. You measure it by your ability to sustain long drives by running the ball somewhat consistently, which we were NEVER able to do. Carson had to do everything by himslef to take us down the field and score.

No. You measure it by your ability to sustain long drives by running the ball somewhat consistently, which we were NEVER able to do. Carson had to do everything by himslef to take us down the field and score.

I guess you must have on a big pair of those blinders that they put on horses when they pull carriages...because it has been said and repeated about 1,000 times including what I am about to say now...you are judging the running game last year when most of the O-line was hurt at least 2+ games last year and Rudi had a messed up knee after game 2 yet grinded through it.

Also I guess you have never heard the Woody Hayes saying "3 yards and a cloud of dust...." Rudi falls forward, he never goes down on first contact, and he moves the chains. What do you want? LT? If that is what you want, you better become a Chargers fan because it will probably be another 10 years if ever before there is another guy like him.

Found this from '06, couldn't find similar stats for '07:

"Johnson has averaged 22 carries a game the last two seasons. The battering ram has rushed for 2,912 yards the last two seasons with 24 rushing TD’s, 12 carries of over 20 yards and an astonishing 152 first downs."

That would seem to indicate that you are, in fact, full of poop. Rudi has been instrumental to extending drives and moving the chains. Just watch some games.

So Marvin clearly states in an interview earlier this month that the Bengals wont reach and draft for need, so instead they take the player with the highest grade that still fills a need, and yet people bitch about it.

btw on an ESPN interview after the pick Marvin said that there was a run on defensive players in the middle of the 2nd that "took us out of the running" for a defensive player, so obviously there were guys they wanted, they just didnt get them.

I'm down with it, no one else really jumped out at me as a must-have defensive player.