UFC vs Boxing

agreen_112

I know that UFC is huge right now, but will it last? To me, nothing is better than Boxing as far a professional fighting goes. Here's the question: Take UFC's top guys (I don't know many names because I'm not a fan) and top ranked Boxers and put them in the ring, no gloves, just those UFC gloves. Who would win the fight?

I can't wait for the day to see a professsional boxer like Mike Tyson enter the UFC and show the world that UFC fighters can't compare to Boxers... I asked a couple guys here at work and a cousin of mine (all UFC fans) who they think would win in the octagon; Tyson vs. Iceman. They unanamously voted Iceman! If you ask me that is the biggest crock of *$%@ I've ever heard.

I agree with Mayweather who said UFC is just a fad and Boxing is here to stay.

Don't get me wrong, UFC has some really great fighters, but I just don't think they can match up to your Jones Jr, De la Hoya, Tarver, Toney, Tyson, Hopkins, ect. ect. ect. especially not the heavy weight top ranked boxers.

What do you guys think? If it were to happen, who would win, Top ranked UFC fighters or Top ranked Boxers?

um. i enjoy both, but id have to say UFC has a much better product right now, and they just bought pride fighting so expect it to get better.

boxings huge problem - its scoring. too many fights are scored incorrectly. until they fix that, boxing will continue to have problems.

also the heavyweight division kinda sucks now.

um. i enjoy both, but id have to say UFC has a much better product right now, and they just bought pride fighting so expect it to get better.

boxings huge problem - its scoring. too many fights are scored incorrectly. until they fix that, boxing will continue to have problems.

also the heavyweight division kinda sucks now.

I enjoy both, but agree that UFC is the better of the two at this time... Why ?? You have fighters that can do boxing, wrestling, and other fighting styles. The whole mixed martial arts is way more exciting to watch and makes boxing (although I do enjoy it) a bit boring at times. Now to answer the question of who would win between a boxer and a UFC fighter... Put any boxer in an octagon with a mixed martial arts fighter and he gets his asspiece handed to him 9 times out of 10. All a boxer can do is box. What is he going to do when the fight is taken to the floor ?? I'll tell you... Cry like a little bitch when someone puts them in an armbar or chokes them out from behind after giving up their back. Not even close.

WHODEY !!!

Well, boxing is a striking art. Boxing has handwork that is second to none. I have a feeling that boxers would hold their own in a UFC fight.

I get that as well Ox, but the difference (at least for me) is that in the UFC the boxer is one dimensional. If the UFC fighter knows an individual is a better striker than them, they can shoot and take them to the floor. This is where I see the biggest difference. What is a boxer going to do when taken to the mat ?? Does the boxer know anything about defending against someone who wants to take them to the mat ?? The only way I see the boxer having the advantage is if the UFC fighter is very weak in the ground game and is only a striker.

The question was "A boxer in an octagon" and in my opinion, the UFC fighter wins... Now, "A UFC fighter in the ring" is another question and would think that the majority of the time, the boxer would come out on top. It's all about the rules placed upon them in my opinion...

WHODEY !!!

The question was "A boxer in an octagon" and in my opinion, the UFC fighter wins... Now, "A UFC fighter in the ring" is another question and would think that the majority of the time, the boxer would come out on top. It's all about the rules placed upon them in my opinion...

Agreed. A boxer would start worrying about kicks and holds and would not be able to concentrate on boxing. But if they were in the ring, their quickness and handspeed would take over.

I get that as well Ox, but the difference (at least for me) is that in the UFC the boxer is one dimensional. If the UFC fighter knows an individual is a better striker than them, they can shoot and take them to the floor. This is where I see the biggest difference. What is a boxer going to do when taken to the mat ?? Does the boxer know anything about defending against someone who wants to take them to the mat ?? The only way I see the boxer having the advantage is if the UFC fighter is very weak in the ground game and is only a striker.

WHODEY !!!

Army, let me tell you that I used to box. I trained for about 5 years casually, never fought competitively, only sparred. So I can tell you first hand that we boxers do know how to "wrestle" it's part of our training. Not only would wrestling come into play but boxing is all about footwork... I'm telling you, put Tarver, one of the most beautiful defensive fighters in our day, in the octagon. It won't be as easy as you think to take him down. What makes you even think the UFC fighter can get that close to him to take him down to the floor? Tarver vs. Iceman wouldn't even be close! Take your old guys like Tito or Shamrock vs Tyson... They wouldn't stand a chance against Tyson!

Ask yourself this: How many UFC fights here lately have you seen where the winner was declaired by KO while both guys were standing? It happens all the time.

When you talking about Boxers, you're talking about the best fighters in the world. Yeah UFC is tough, but pound for pound they are not the best fighters in the world.

Well, brother we will just have to agree to disagree. I have been training with the Army Combatives program for quite some time now and we learn striking as well. That being said, there are some that are stronger strikers and some that are stronger wrestlers, but I will also say (from what I've seen) just because you are a good striker (boxer) doesn't make you adept at stopping an opponent from shooting in on you. In fact, that's what they teach people who aren't particularly good strikers. I just don't see a one dimensional boxer having (that much) success "in an octagon" against a mixed martial artist. Good conversation though !!

WHODEY !!!

I'll watch a UFC fight over boxing any day of the week. Boxing doesn't suck, but it isn't as exciting to me. A lot of the time it's just a bunch of clinching and holding without a clear winner.

Right, I agree with you, that can get boring. But, you get that on both sports...

One dimensional boxers will get owned in the UFC,But same could said about MMA fighters in boxing...but that's because there's more to MMA.Boxing your not worried about getting taken down your not worried about being kicked.

but you are worried someone may bite your ear off.

One dimensional boxers will get owned in the UFC,But same could said about MMA fighters in boxing...but that's because there's more to MMA.Boxing your not worried about getting taken down your not worried about being kicked.

but you are worried someone may bite your ear off.

No doubt!

sc_tyson_earbite.jpg

Just may be me but boxing is preatty low on my enjoyment of fight sports period,I perfer Muay thai for a pure stand up. Kit Cope was a beast till he came to the UFC and coulden't keep people from taking him down.(he had trained several years and was a all pro wrestler in HS) so I just don't really see a boxer coming in and kicking ass?

Tito or Shamrock vs Tyson

I'd put my money on tito or Randy(screw shamrock lol),Tyson would get to throw a couple of punches before he ended up on his back.

Just may be me but boxing is preatty low on my enjoyment of fight sports period,I perfer Muay thai for a pure stand up. Kit Cope was a beast till he came to the UFC and coulden't keep people from taking him down.(he had trained several years and was a all pro wrestler in HS) so I just don't really see a boxer coming in and kicking ass?

Tito or Shamrock vs Tyson

I'd put my money on tito or Randy(screw shamrock lol),Tyson would get to throw a couple of punches before he ended up on his back.

Kit Cope wouldn't stand a chance with the gloves on, that's why he must've made the switch. You can't compare Kit Cope to Tyson, Jones Jr, Tarver, Hopkins, De la Hoya, Mayweather, ect. ect.

I'm telling you man, If a boxer would fight in the UFC, You'd be surprised how tough the UFC really is. Tyson would own Tito or Randy hands down. Yeah they can kick and take down, but a boxer like Tyson is a deadly striker. They wouldn't get close to tyson. Did you see what Tyson did to that guy a few years back when he punched that guy barehanded? He just about killed the guy. One punch had the dudes whole side of his face black and blue. Tyson with no gloves (ufc gloves) is a scary thought.

Sure agreen ;) why doesn't tyson give it a shot? he's only 41 randys 43 ;)

He won't even take on bob sapp.

Kit Cope wouldn't stand a chance with the gloves on, that's why he must've made the switch.

Um he had alrdy made it he was a top muay thai fighter,I compare him because he was a pure standup who had very little ground experiance.

A boxer woulden't come in and have the success like chuck who is one of the best stand up fighters in the UFC the reason ,chuck is good because he works hard to have sprawl and ground defense he does.it's not like MMA lacks strikers Anderson Silva is consirdered a top 5 striker in the world just not the ufc.

Sure agreen ;) why doesn't tyson give it a shot? he's only 41 randys 43 ;)

He won't even take on bob sapp.

Kit Cope wouldn't stand a chance with the gloves on, that's why he must've made the switch.

Um he had alrdy made it he was a top muay thai fighter,I compare him because he was a pure standup who had very little ground experiance.

A boxer woulden't come in and have the success like chuck who is one of the best stand up fighters in the UFC the reason ,chuck is good because he works hard to have sprawl and ground defense he does.it's not like MMA lacks strikers Anderson Silva is consirdered a top 5 striker in the world just not the ufc.

Ok, so you really think Anderson Silva would have a chance with the gloves on? If so, why doesn't he lace em up and make millions? Anderson Silva would get owned in the Boxing ring, same as Chuck. Toe to toe Chuck the iceman couldn't hang with a true world class boxer with no gloves... Surely more of you see eye to eye with me on this one??

Ok, going back to the original topic here... "A boxer going INTO the octagon"... Now, there is NO WAY IN HELL Tyson would beat Tito in the octogon. Tito would whip the living sh*t out of him. I could care less what Tyson does to anyone standing up. I can't believe this is such a debated topic. It's like saying a whiffle ball player would beat a MLB player in their ballpark. Like I said before, I'll agree to disagree, but holy crap...

WHODEY !!!

Same as any boxer would get owned in a ufc ring. sorry that they don't perfer beat each other up with giant pillows on their hands ;)

Yes because all fights remain standing,then you get pulled off a guy for holding on to him ,Boxing to the UFC is like Baseball to football it's being replaced football wins in the the end and so will ufc

You obviously know nothing about boxing. Huge pillows :wacko:"Professional boxers that fight in the ring always wear 8 oz. or 10 oz. gloves." This is from a boxing source. They're by far NOT huge pillows.

2 different sports, boxing isn't going anywhere just like baseball. It's America's past time. Both will always be loved. That's not the argument.

The arguement is Tito would stand no chance in hell in the octagon VS. Tyson. I don't care how good he is on the floor, Tito won't get that close!

If the Iceman can win fights standing and punching, what in world makes some of you guys think that a top ranked boxer couldn't do the same thing but 20x's better.