Greg Brooks Signs Tender

HoosierCat

after our pass defense last year EVERYBODY better step up!

Am I the only one that doesn't think Ratliff is all that bad? He's nothing special obviously, but having him in the dime seems more a positive to me than a negative. He's a bit slow, but otherwise plays the position pretty effectively.

If you were describing a 6th round pick like Brooks, that'd be acceptable. But you're talking about a second round pick, taken 49th overall. I think you want more than a dime guy out of that spot.

Frankly, with the exceptions of Madieu and Geathers, the whole '04 draft has pretty much been a bust.

I'd agree he hasn't lived up to his 2nd round billing, but I honestly don't think that's relevant when assessing him as a player in the present. He's a solid guy to have in the dime, and that's all I care about.

As for the '04 draft, I'd argue Landon Johnson (3rd), Caleb Miller (3rd), and Stacey Andrews (4th) have all also been worthy additions to the team.

I'd agree he hasn't lived up to his 2nd round billing, but I honestly don't think that's relevant when assessing him as a player in the present. He's a solid guy to have in the dime, and that's all I care about.

As for the '04 draft, I'd argue Landon Johnson (3rd), Caleb Miller (3rd), and Stacey Andrews (4th) have all also been worthy additions to the team.

I don't think you can say Andrews has been all that because he rarely sniffs the field. You can find guys every year that are undrafted free agents that can do the same thing that Andrews has done with the Bengals. Especially with him being a 4th round pick.

I don't think you can say Andrews has been all that because he rarely sniffs the field. You can find guys every year that are undrafted free agents that can do the same thing that Andrews has done with the Bengals. Especially with him being a 4th round pick.

I'm not sure when he ever could have gotten consistent play time before 2006 (when he played quite a bit). The line was healthy, and as a backup, he had no reason to be on the field.

Heck, you can find late day 2 guys and UDFAs who can be decent nickle/dime types (Brooks, Indiana Jones, Kilmer, etc.). Ratliff has shown me nothing that says he can be an starting-caliber corner in the NFL.

Stacy may or may not be any good; what little we have seen of him in regular season games has been mixed. Certainly he's looked better at G than T. Personally, I suspect he could hold up decently as a starting guard...but in that case he's likely to be snapped up in FA next year for more than the Bengals are willing to pay. As for Landon and Miller they have proven good utility types and provided average depth, but we are still waiting for one or both of them to emerge. I think the Bengals were, and perhaps still are, hoping someone will sign them to an offer sheet; I think they'd take a third for either in a heartbeat. The bottom line on '04 for me is that we had five, count 'em five, day one picks...and we got one starter, Madieu.

The big *IF* for Greg Brooks is (as has been stated many times before) whether or not he can stay healthy.

If he fails to get through the preseason healthy, I suspect he gets cut this time around (depending somewhat on the performance and injury status of the other DBs) as I think his is his last chance to prove he can remain healthy enough to play

If on the other hand he remains healthy, I'd say he has a legitimate shot at the nickle corner spot, particularly because it has been reported over the years that his pure man coverage skills are on par with the best we have, and his speed is excellent - like JJ, he's a 4.3 guy - see the following draft profile for details

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/greg_brooks

Given Deltha's poor showing last year, Tory going bye-bye, and Keiwan not showing us anything despite repeat chances to do so, I think this is Greg's best real shot at securing his place on the team.

He could well be our third corner, after Deltha and JJoseph

I hope he has spent the offseason (and all of last season) dramatically strengthening his body in whatever way one might do so, while maintaining his speed and hands. More muscle mass is probably a good start, as he is a tad undersized.

Huh, I thought the great one, Paul Alexander, was supposed to groom Andrews into the next Willie Anderson? What happened to that? Now he's a backup guard.

I thought Guy-chick was their "center of the future?" Yet Wilkerson and Stepanovich will be competing for his job next year.

Funny how he never seems to develop anyone who isn't a 1st round pick who needs little development.

But yet, people here swear he's a "great coach."

I'm mystified.

The big *IF* for Greg Brooks is (as has been stated many times before) whether or not he can stay healthy.

If he fails to get through the preseason healthy, I suspect he gets cut this time around (depending somewhat on the performance and injury status of the other DBs) as I think his is his last chance to prove he can remain healthy enough to play

If on the other hand he remains healthy, I'd say he has a legitimate shot at the nickle corner spot, particularly because it has been reported over the years that his pure man coverage skills are on par with the best we have, and his speed is excellent - like JJ, he's a 4.3 guy - see the following draft profile for details

Given Deltha's poor showing last year, Tory going bye-bye, and Keiwan not showing us anything despite repeat chances to do so, I think this is Greg's best real shot at securing his place on the team.

I hope he has spent the offseason (and all of last season) dramatically strengthening his body in whatever way one might do so, while maintaining his speed and hands. More muscle mass is probably a good start, as he is a tad undersized.

I agree he's better than Ratliff and ideally should be the nickel guy, at worst a #4 CB - obviously he has to prove he can stay healthy long enough to contribute.

The fact they've held on to him this long says enough about what they think of his ability/potential. And when I did see him play last season, he was fairly impressive I thought in pass coverage.

I would love to see this guy stay healthy and see if he can give Ratliff a run for his money. Ratliff has become the new guy I "just don't like" now that KK is gone... Good signing !!!

WHODEY !!!

Don't know why KK had to leave for Ratmeat to hit the top of the hate chart. He couldn't carry KK's jock.

I didn't say "hate", I said, "just don't like" as in, "He does this well or that well, but I just don't like him." In regards to Ratliff, I'm not comparing him to KK, just saying since I can't hate on KK anymore, Ratliff will fill in nicely to take the brunt of my dislike (Im sure he's real upset) if he gets yet another chance and f*cks it up. Ratliff might not do bad, but he just doesn't do enough good. How about running upfield when returning punts ?? Don't give me that, "Well at least he doesn't fumble" crap either, as field position is critical and he does nothing to help that situation AT ALL !!! So, in review, I think Greg Brooks will beat out Ratturd if he stays healthy...

WHODEY !!!

I would love to see this guy stay healthy and see if he can give Ratliff a run for his money. Ratliff has become the new guy I "just don't like" now that KK is gone... Good signing !!!

WHODEY !!!

Don't know why KK had to leave for Ratmeat to hit the top of the hate chart. He couldn't carry KK's jock.

I didn't say "hate", I said, "just don't like" as in, "He does this well or that well, but I just don't like him." In regards to Ratliff, I'm not comparing him to KK, just saying since I can't hate on KK anymore, Ratliff will fill in nicely to take the brunt of my dislike (Im sure he's real upset) if he gets yet another chance and f*cks it up. Ratliff might not do bad, but he just doesn't do enough good. How about running upfield when returning punts ?? Don't give me that, "Well at least he doesn't fumble" crap either, as field position is critical and he does nothing to help that situation AT ALL !!! So, in review, I think Greg Brooks will beat out Ratturd if he stays healthy...

WHODEY !!!

Hey, I ain't defending ratboy, don't get me wrong. I have thought for a while that a straight-ahead punt return style is good for minimizing the rate of clips/holds, but clearly he's not getting it done.

Not to mention, he's the second coming of Atrell "Toast" Hawkins when playing CB. Great waste of a 2nd.

I couldn't agree more with the above. This feels like a re-set of last year, when I was really hoping for Brooks to make the field, but he got hurt ... again. I would think, based on Marvin's track record, that the Brooks experiment will be over if he gets hurt again this preseason. That said, competition with Rat can't hurt either of them and I would like to see if a little more speed in the nickel/dime can improve our pass d.

The problem is Ratliff is making second round money, you don't pay a second rounder to just be a situational player. TDB you are my man but I can't agree with you that Ratliff is solid, I saw Ratliff make one decent play last year and that was in the first Pittsburgh game when he flipped Santonio Holmes when Pittsburgh was driving for the game tying drive. I don't think Marvin has that much confidence in him either because he more or less blasted him in the media when he said that Keiwan has no role on his defense, that JJ was higher on the depth chart as soon as he signed on the dotted line. TDB you are a real optomistic guy though because I have never heard you say anything bad about any player on the current roster, they are all solid in your eyes.

TDB you are a real optomistic guy though because I have never heard you say anything bad about any player on the current roster, they are all solid in your eyes.

There are a few guys on the roster that I don't care for, the most noteable being Bryan Robinson. I'm also less impressed with Rashad Jeanty than others seem to be. To each his own though.

As for Ratliff... I only meant "solid" in reference to the dime or nickle. By no means would I like to see him starting.