Rudi's contract resolution

chrishcovga

Well the news that many of us have been waiting on since December 29th. happened today with Dillon's trade to this years eventual repeating Super Bowl Champions in 2004 . the New England Patriots.

1. Rudi's current offer needs to be signed, or a new contract solidifying him as the starter needs to be addressed. If Rudi' is indeed the guy "running" the show now, it's time to pay the guy what he's worth before a negative contract war ensues.

But that's just my take. :player:

Makes you wonder doesnt it? The Bengals new Dillon was outa here so would seem better to have signed Rudi before Dillon was officially out of here. Now it appears Rudi will have any upper hand in negotiations. Makes me think that in ML's mind Rudi may not be the long term answer. Also, who knows what may have been said in negotiations. ML may have heard something he didnt like. Something is a mist here.

Oh, I think Rudi will get a contract before the draft. The Bengals had to wait to get rid of what's his name. Now that's done Rudi will get a deal cause they have some cash on hand now...besides, we all knew he wasn't gonna sign anything until the RFA period was up anyway...If he isn't signed before the draft he will be before the 1st mini camp, for 2 reasons, he's a team player, and the team has shown that he's the guy.

Makes you wonder doesnt it? The Bengals new Dillon was outa here so would seem better to have signed Rudi before Dillon was officially out of here. Now it appears Rudi will have any upper hand in negotiations.

I believe giving the big contract to Rudi before moving Dillon would have tipped the hand on Dillon getting cut, thereby, nullifying the need for a trade from another team. I do believe Rudi now gets a contract and he has little leverage as he still only has the one year and didn't start all the way through. IMO the Bengals have the upper hand and I must say I have never been more excited to be a Bengals fan !! I can't wait to see what else happens before Saturday !!!

WHODEY !!!

ya i doubt they sign him to a big contract before the season starts. Im hoping he just signs the tendure, has an ok season, they sign him for about 1-2.5 mill a year. We draft a 2nd round running back for cheap, and have a good 1-2 punch or even if rudi leaves, we have a solid young rusher still.

*Sigh* Here we go again!!!

Here's another Mike Brown situation. Not taking care of business on the RB end and then getting rid of Dillon is majorly stupid, imo.

Additionally, Rudi and Rudi's Agent is starting to get disgruntled in the contract situation with the Bungles Management.

I also think that the Bungles are having second thoughts about Rudi being "The Man" at RB.

And how in good conscious can you say that Rudi indeed is the man when he had 3 good games last year???

How about a 4 - year 10 million dollar contract..? 3 million dollar bonus

and some incentive laden years...etc

Sounds like a fair offer. We would have to find a way to make it fit under our cap which brings up the Kitna issue. What would you rather have, a nice backup QB or our starting RB sealed up for the next four years. Would also take the pressure of drafting any RB's in the first three rounds. I'm a RUDI fan but who isnt.

I like the incentive contract.

Offer him $1M as a basic

with an additional $1.M if he gets 1000yards

and an additional additional of another $1.5M if he gets 1500yds +.

$3.5 Million for a 1500 yard back - surely everybody would be happy with that.

Here's another Mike Brown situation. Not taking care of business on the RB end and then getting rid of Dillon is majorly stupid, imo.

Additionally, Rudi and Rudi's Agent is starting to get disgruntled in the contract situation with the Bungles Management.

I also think that the Bungles are having second thoughts about Rudi being "The Man" at RB.

And how in good conscious can you say that Rudi indeed is the man when he had 3 good games last year???

I'm biting my tongue...

I'm biting my tongue...

I'm biting my tongue...

I'm biting my tongue... :player:

Because those 3 games were more than any Bengal before has achieved - 3 x 150yd games in a season.

Give the guy some support and backing. Your writing him off before training camp has even started.

Sheeeesh, some people.

i wouldnt commit to rudi yet. this year is already taken care of. if he proves this year that he can be the feature back, then give him the goods. but what if we sign him to a huge contract this year. then, he falls apart, and the rookie RB we're sure to draft now blows us away?

With what, baiting billy?

Here's another Mike Brown situation.  Not taking care of business on the RB end and then getting rid of Dillon is majorly stupid, imo.

Well, if that's actually what had happened, yeah, it would be stupid. But it isn't. Rudi's an RFA and the deadline for any team to offer him passed last Friday...and the Bengals, once they knew he was staying, promptly dealt CD.

Doesn't look that way to me at all. If so, they wouldn't have waited to deal CD, they would have either bounced him sooner or not at all -- and they would have traded Rudi now while his value was at its peak (remember, he was the one Parcells supposedly wanted, not CD). Instead, Rudi is poised to make a big score as long as he performs in 2004.

Can't say whether he is or he isn't yet. Now we get to find out. If he is, the Bengals are in a position to pay him top dollar by working out a deal during the season; if he isn't we look to the draft next year.

Joisey--if you can't see that this is a typical Mike Brown situation, then you're as blind as a bat.

Rudi could still remain unsigned by the time the Camp rolls around (which has happened how many times to Mike Brown in the past???).

How about that???

:lol::lol: Talk about a stretch! Rudi is going to hold out? Please explain to me what benefit -- ANY benefit -- Rudi would gain by doing so. He'll sign the tender, which will give him a fat $1.8 million payday and make him an unrestricted free agent in 2005.

But there is precisely 0% chance of a holdout! :lol::lol:

Careful Billy, you might end up biting your tongue off when listening to Barbara ian. Regardless when or what offer Rudi signs, he will do it with class and dignity. Something neither CD, or any Raider, has ever shown. I think we should draft a 2-3 round back this year, because Rudi has been in the league long enough that he will be into big bucks next year. Marvin's theory is draft well and when their salary outweighs their worth... cut em and go on with the next draft pick.

Joisey--if you can't see that this is a typical Mike Brown situation, then you're as blind as a bat.

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see that at all; at least not right now. I've seen evidence of the possible persuasion implicating bad team management, but that's why Lewis is here. Is it not? He's kept his hand out of the pot for most transactions and relying on his "knowledgeable football analysts". This seems to me a bit different, far from typical in my opinion.

Rudi could still remain unsigned by the time the Camp rolls around (which has happened how many times to Mike Brown in the past???).

Most of the problems in the past, we not soley Mike Brown. I'd say 50-50 on both sides per contratual conflict resulted in extended negotiations. Camp is about 100 days away, more than enough time.

Since you're set on hating everything Mike Brown with 100% pessimism in Bengals talk in general, it makes no sense talking logically to you, does it?

How about that???

I am going out on a limb and saying that I don't think you like Mike Brown.

"Talk about a stretch! Rudi is going to hold out? Please explain to me what benefit -- ANY benefit -- Rudi would gain by doing so. He'll sign the tender, which will give him a fat $1.8 million payday and make him an unrestricted free agent in 2005."

Stretch??? You've gotta be kidding me, right Joisey??? It seems every year (except for last year) that the Bungles has had someone hold out.

If it's such a "STRETCH" then why hasn't Rudi signed yet???

Maybe Rudi and his agent thinks that a starting RB in the NFL deserves more than $1.8 mil???

Stretch???  You've gotta be kidding me, right Joisey???  It seems every year (except for last year) that the Bungles has had someone hold out.

Draft picks, yes, RFAs, no. You don't hold out as an RFA, you sign the tender, get the last year out of the way and become a full-fledged FA.

If it's such a "STRETCH" then why hasn't Rudi signed yet???

There's a boatload of unsigned RFAs -- because the RFA period only ended last week. None of them, including Rudi, were in any hurry to sign. There was always the chance that some other team would drop a big offer on them.

Maybe Rudi and his agent thinks that a starting RB in the NFL deserves more than $1.8 mil???

I'm sure they have a number in mind. And I'm sure they'll talk with the Bengals about it. If both sides can agree before the season, fine. If not, Rudi inks the tender, setting him on a course for FA next year. From there, one of several things could happen:

1. Rudi could suck. In which case, damn good thing they didn't sign him long term.

2. Rudi could shine, and they work out an extension in midseason like the team did with CJ in the middle of last year.

3. Rudi could shine, decide to test the FA waters in '05 -- in which case the Bengals have the option of letting him go, or slapping a tag on him.

This is how things work, and are working, at evry other team around the league. Nothing to b*tch at the Bengals FO about here. Move along.