Looking back at the season, this jumped at me

walzav29

The only 2 teams to blow Cincy out were the 2 teams playing for the AFC title. Every other game was a play here and there. This team is maturing and some high character/ high impact guys at the right positions will be the difference needed. I hate to put the heat on him, but Palmer (who I love) has to take it on himself to elevate his game to Brady and Mannings levels. My football break is over. I am back baby!

Patrick Willis at 18!

We need a defensive lineman that commands a double team more then we need a linebacker. Plus we need another good defensive back bad. I would love to get any of these guys in that spot Amobi Okoye,Leon Hall, Reggie Nelson, but keep your eyes out for this guy jumping up the board and the Bengals plucking him Chris Houston of Arkansas he looked very good out there. I want Laron Landry but he will be long gone by the time the Bengals pick. I like Patrick Willis but not like that.

My football break is over.

What talk is this? There's no breaks in football.

Chris Perry: Huh?

:lol: I don't know about you guys but no matter what happens in a season..I will still be here supporting my true love (The Bengals of course) :P Yes they break my heart but I know one year they will make me the happiest man on the face of the earth B)

:lol: I don't know about you guys but no matter what happens in a season..I will still be here supporting my true love (The Bengals of course) :P Yes they break my heart but I know one year they will make me the happiest man on the face of the earth B)

Amen, preach that good word brother.

Amen, preach that good word brother.

It's what I do. B)

Patrick Willis at 18!

We need a defensive lineman that commands a double team more then we need a linebacker. Plus we need another good defensive back bad. I would love to get any of these guys in that spot Amobi Okoye,Leon Hall, Reggie Nelson, but keep your eyes out for this guy jumping up the board and the Bengals plucking him Chris Houston of Arkansas he looked very good out there. I want Laron Landry but he will be long gone by the time the Bengals pick. I like Patrick Willis but not like that.

The Bengals need to take the best talent (on defense) available to them at 18. I LOVE Reggie Nelson's skills and attitude, despite the fact that he plays for the Gators, but he’ll likely be gone to San Francisco, Atlanta, or another team in need of a playmaking, ball-hawking safety. The same goes for Landry.

Okoye and all the other impact defensive linemen such as Jamaal Anderson, who I also really like, will most likely be gone by then as well. Adam Carriker might be there, but he's a player the Bengals don't need thanks to their extension of Geathers and franchise-tagging of Smith.

As for the corners, Leon Hall was ABUSED by two receivers in the last two games of the year, one of which is slipping out of the first round because of a dramatic lack of speed (Jarrett). Fellow first round projection Darrelle Revis is s-l-o-w, and the Bengals already have a slow cornerback … his name is Keiwan Ratliff. Chris Houston is like Stanford Routt…all speed, very undeveloped technique…not too agile…raw as all hell. He would be a huge reach at 18.

Aside from all that, the Bengals could find a usable corner later in the draft who would be just as good as the others with a little bit of coaching. Cincy could likely pick up Aaron Ross or Eric Wright in the second … Josh Wilson or Johnathan Wade in the 4th. And so on.

That leaves Willis, and they're hurting at linebacker. Odell Thurman is a train wreck -- only Marvin seems to know what his deal is with him. David Pollack might never play again, and even if he does come back, who's to say he'll be the player he could have been? Brian Simmons has lost more than a step, and is only slightly above average these days. Ahmad Brooks showed flashes last year, but he needs help around him so he can grow as a player. Caleb Miller is too slow, misses too many tackles, and has a bad attitude to boot (or so the rumors say). Landon Johnson records a lot of tackles, but he doesn't impact games. He's like a less effective Cato June.

Just my $.02.

I hope we take Reggie, no matter which team he goes to ill be getting a free jersey from him of that team though, flippin sweet if it was a bengals jersey

I was hoping we would pick Reggie Nelson if he was available at our spot, but after some of the info at the combine I am starting to wonder. He ran a slow 40 - in the 4.5's if memory serves. This time would be ok if he were a normal sized safety, but he didn't even break 200 lbs. He is supposed to be a speed safety who hits hard, but if he can't get sideline to sideline we'll all be disappointed in him. I think he will be available at 18 based on his combine performance, but now I'm not so sure he would be a good pick. If we do get him, I hope he proves me wrong.

Now I'm hoping Amobe Okoye drops to us.

WHO-DEY!

The only 2 teams to blow Cincy out were the 2 teams playing for the AFC title. Every other game was a play here and there. This team is maturing and some high character/ high impact guys at the right positions will be the difference needed. I hate to put the heat on him, but Palmer (who I love) has to take it on himself to elevate his game to Brady and Mannings levels. My football break is over. I am back baby!

To bring this thread back to the original topic of conversation, here are the Bengals losses by 7 points or more:-

Home - Patriots 13-38

Home - Chargers 41-49

Away - Colts 16-34

Home - Pittsburgh 13-27

Home - Colts 37-45

Home - Buffalo 27-37

Away - Kansas 3-37

Home - Pittsburgh 17-31 (play-off)

Away - NY Jets 24-31

Home - Baltimore 9-23

Away - Pittsburgh 17-28

Away - Cleveland 17-34

Away - Tennessee 20-27

Away - Patriots 28-35

Home - Buffalo 17-33

Home - Denver 10-30

Home - Pittsburgh 10-17

Away - Baltimore 13-31

Away - St.Louis 10-27

Home - Cleveland 14-22

2002 (the season of despair)

Home - Chargers 6-34

Away - Cleveland 7-20

Away - Atlanta 3-30

Home - Tampa 7-35

Away - Colts 21-28

Home - Pittsburgh 7-34

Away - Baltimore 27-38

Home - Cleveland 20-27

Away - Pittsburgh 21-29

Away - Carolina 31-52

Home - Jacksonville 15-29

Away - Buffalo 9-27

I was quite surprised to see the numbers of 1 TD + games reduce over this period, 12, 5, 7, 5, 3 respectively.

I see nothing but the draft to talk about for the next two months.

Well that's true. And considering we're avoiding free agency like SARS, I suppose you're right.

You know, I'm preconditioned to discussing the draft as soon as the season is over, not just because for so long it was the only sign of hope for the Bengals, but also because I put together accurate draft class files for Madden every year. And I mean accurate, where the late round picks are low-rated players (lrated in the 60s) ... not the usual "even in the sixth round you're drafting players who come out as a 76 overall" deal that you get with the unedited NCAA draft class files.

I spend hundreds of hours and quite a bit of cash (on draft guides and whatnot) researching players and rating them accoring to their strengths and weaknesses on NCAA -- I even have spreadsheets showing the highest and lowest of each rating in Madden, so I know where to keep them on NCAA, and I came up with my own formula for 40 times that has really worked well in the past. After all this, I import them into Madden to see how their ratings turn out, then I go back and tweak the roster files as I see fit, and do it all over again until it's as perfect as possible. As a result of all of this work, I've been almost spot on with the ratings of many of the top rookies compared to the actual ratings on the Madden they first appear on. My wife constantly reminds me that at 28, it's a dorky hobby, but I enjoy it.

Um, I have completely hijacked this thread, and I apologize, but yea … the weeks leading up to the draft are my second favorite part of the year.

How does every thread turn to draft talk? The topic was looking back and you guys are looking ahead. Shesh. :lmao:

Who want's to reflect back on a season were we did not make the playoffs, the thing is to look forward and see how we can get back to the playoffs.

That is something every single Bengals fan is all too familiar with. :unsure:

All the close games last year tell me there's a coaching/discipline problem versus a talent issue.

If it were purely a talent issue, they'd be getting blown out more often.

It's obvious Dungy and his staff and Belichick, took Marvin and his crew out back and laid the wood on them.

That will have to change if they want to avoid another disappointing December finish for the 3rd year in a row.

All the close games last year tell me there's a coaching/discipline problem versus a talent issue.

If it were purely a talent issue, they'd be getting blown out more often.

Maybe...but the numbers don't fall out that way to me. I would say rather that they suggest something we already know, namely that our offensive talent is masking an atrocious defense.

Look at the "blowouts" scottish lists. The average was 11-25 in 2003, 19-30 in 2004, 19-35 in 2005 and 23-40 in 2006. The actual margin of defeat hasn't changed much (14, 11, 16 and 17, respectively) but points scored increased by 13 2006 vs. 2003, while points allowed jumped by 15.

If coaching were the big issue I think you'd expect to see failures on both sides of the ball. What we see is an increasingly talented O, and increasingly talent-poor D.