Thepudge's Bengals Draft Database

2/13 - Added a CB and DE section.

This is my complete Bengals Draft Database. It will be updated frequently and won't really ever become outdated. As of right now, not everything I'd like to put on there is on there already but in time you'll have all the info you need to know. Well, for now, here it is, feedback is welcome and encouraged. Enjoy!

Here is my outlook in a more mock draft style format.

MOCK DRAFT

1. (24)- Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State- Bunkley is the best fit in this draft for the Bengals system at DT and would be a steal at 24. After bulking up, many fans now realize that Bunkley is a great prospect for the Bengals. At 6'2 300, Bunkley has the size and the quickness to do well in Lewis' defense. He has already said he just doesn't want someone that will simply take up space. He prefers disruptive guys that use their quickness and strength, not size, to play DT. Bunkley is very active, a great pass-rusher and run-stuffer, recording 23.5 TFL this past year. Unfortunatley, like Travis Johnson, was a one year wonder so ther is a bit of a risk.

2. (55)- Donte Whitner, SS, Ohio State- Another good fit and another steal. Whitner loves to hit, and is also pretty strong in coverage. Whitner is pretty fast and very active against the run. He would bring the Bengals Defense that indimidating factor they have been missing at the Safety position, as well as being a playmaker in coverage. Has a lot of potential, a bit raw in coverage and at 5'11 he isn't the biggest Safety but he's a guy who could come right in and start Day One.

3. (91)- Tim Day, TE, Oregon- One of the TE's in this draft that best fit what the Bengals want. Day is two-dimensional. He is not going to be that big-play threat at the TE position like Davis, Pope, Byrd, or Lewis, but Day is a good receiver on short to intermediate routes and at 6'4 258 he could help our redzone offense a good deal. Day is one of the best blockers at TE in this draft, and is certainly the best out of the Top 6. As I said, the best fit, many like Byrd, but Day has the height and balance advantage.

4. (122)- Mark Anderson, DE, Alabama- A player very comparable to Robert Geathers. A good pass-rusher who is sort of the developmental type. The guy is very fiery and intense on the field and he works hard. Anderson would provide depth behing Geathers and fill in at times as an edge rusher. Mike Kudla is another decent fit here, but Anderson at 6'4 254 has a little more potential. If he puts on about 5-10 lbs he could crack the rotation as a rookie.

5. (152)- Brandon Williams, WR, Wisconsin- An explosive receiver who would be a great value here. After his 40 this guy may go 1st day. Williams was very productive in college as a WR and a KR and PR, and capped it off with a very good senior season. Is a bit on the small side at 5'11 175, but is very fast and could contribute as both a PR and a WR.

6. (183)- Travis Williams, LB, Auburn- A lot of you are thinking there is no way Williams falls this far, but due to his size 6'1 213 there are going to be plenty of teams that don't think he can play in the pro's. Luckily, Marvin will see this guy as a Special Teams monster and another fast, rangy LB to add to his collection. Williams is a very good player, but at 213 there is no way he can be a starting LB in the pros, scouts will notice that and he will fall, simple as that. A steal, and a bit of a reach for me to put him all the way in the 6th, but hey, that's what happens.

7. (214)- Chris Kuper, OG, North Dakota- Bobbie and Steinbach are good starters but behind them we are a bit lacking. Kuper is a small school prospect that could develop into a fine backup in a couple years. No expects him to ever start, but he should provide adequate depth to round out the Bengals draft.

Ok, well I hope you liked it and didn't think it waas too unrealistic. I thought I did a decent job personally, but doesn't everybody. Tell me what you think... I am aware I didn't add a CB, but hey there's always next year or even free agency.

CHART OF NEEDS

QB-2

RB-1

FB-1

WR-3

TE-7

OT-2

OG-4

DT-8

DE-5

OLB-3

MLB-1

CB-5

FS-1

SS-8

K-1

P-2

and here is a little more... just a few targets for each round

ROUND BY ROUND

FIRST ROUND

1. Brodrick Bunkley DT FSU

2. Leonard Pope TE UGA

3. Ko Simpson S South Carolina

4. Tye Hill CB Clemson

5. Claude Wroten DT LSU

SECOND ROUND

1. Donte Whitner S OSU

2. Marcedes Lewis TE UCLA

3. Gabe Watson DT Michigan

4. Daniel Bullocks S Nebraska

5. Richard Marshall CB Fresno State

THIRD ROUND

1. Tim Day TE Oregon

2. Daniel Bullocks S Nebraska

3. Dusty Dvorcek DT Oklahoma

4. Pat Watkins S Florida State

5. Darrell Hunter CB Miami (Ohio)

FOURTH ROUND

1. Mark Anderson DE Alabama

2. Mike Kudla DE OSU

3. Jonathan Orr WR Wisconsin

4. Freddie Roach LB Alabama

5. Brandon Williams WR Wisconsin

FIFTH THROUGH SEVENTH

1. WR, preferably a PR (Brandon Williams, Mike Espy, Willie Reid, etc.)

2. OG depth

3. LB depth, generally faster (Travis Williams, Brian Iwuh, Jon Alston, etc.)

4. QB is a possiblity in the late rounds, Doug Johnson is on a 1-year deal

***NOTES***

DT's---Notice I do not have Rodrique Wright listed anywhere in this whole article. Mostly because Wright's draft stock has been going down as of late. If he shows he is committed and he shows he can be more agressive, I think Wright has monster potential. However, as of right now I, and many others, see a lazy player who is a little soft. Also, Wright recently said he was a finesse player, not an agressive player, for that reason alone Marvin may not go near him. Bunkley would be more of an impact even in the run defense game. Wright projects right now as a 2nd or 3rd Round Pick.

At what we need is talent, not depth. That makes this a Day One need ONLY.With Shaun Smith and Matthias Askew we are fine depth wise. However, Bryan Robinson and John Thornton just aren't really getting the job done. A quicker, stronger, agressive guy is the type of DT Marvin likes. He DOES NOT want a space eater that will sit there and just take up space and not play hard for him. As you can tell, he is trying to build an agressive team, not a lazy team.

If Gabe Watson can show that he has a good work ethic the Bengals may take him at #24 because of his talent. No, I am not going against what I said earlier. Watson is not a soft space eater, Watson is a player, when he wants to, who can cause all kinds of problems for opponents OL's, especially stuffing the run. However, will he be willing to cut his laziness out and get to work in the NFL? NO one doubts his talent. Watson is a guy who we could end up taking 24th, or if he slips a little he may be there at 55.

Claude Wroten in the 1st or 2nd round is another guy who fits the system and could contribute immediately. Wroten is not as bulky as Bunkley, but also weighs 300 lbs and is a playmaker in the backfireld. He provided great push for that LSU defensive line this past year.

Dusty Dvorcek is another possibility. Dvorcek right now is 6'3 298, he needs to put on a few pounds and he'd be a good find in the 3rd Round. Dvorcek is a fiery, disruptive DT who would bring a little more intensity to the Bengals front four. He is an agressive pass-rusher who would take double teams off Justin Smith.

S's--- The Bengals tend to like their safety's rangy and agressive, yet they will play a big part in coverage as well. Marvin likes versatile, balanced safety's who don't miss tackles and who can make plays. Consistency is another thing that Marvin is very big on and likely won't take a streaky S. As I said before, he doesn't just want an enforcer, he wants a guy that can run and cover too.

Darnell Bing is another guy I did not list. Bing does not have the speed or the cover skills that Marvin wants out of his Safety's. It's the same story for Greg Blue.

If he had his way he'd have another Madieu Williams. That guy this year, could be Ko Simpson, he's versatile, agressive and good in coverage. However, Simpson likely will not last to #19.

Daniel Bullocks, Pat Watkins, and Donte Whitner look like the good fits in the 2nd or 3rd round.

TE's---At TE, the Bengals would like their guy to be as balanced as possible. They also want a guy who can take pressure of the WR's and proivide Carson with an alternate option, especially in the redzone. With the Bengals growing problems with WR depth (Kelley Washington as a RFA, Chris Henry will likely be suspened) they are now more likely to draft a guy who is a good receiver.

Leonard Pope is the best fit and could very well be their 1st Round pick. Pope is huge, fast, and can really stretch the field as a receiver. At 6'8 260, Pope also has great potential as a blocker. Right now he is only decent there, but as I said the frame and potential are there.

Marcedes Lewis who accelled as a blocker not a receiver at the Senior Bowl and erased balance doubts, is another good fit, but he'd have to fall to the 2nd for the Bengals to take him.

Vernon Davis is a bad fit and even if he is there at 24 the Bengals are more likely to take Pope, just like they took Chris Perry over Kevin Jones a couple years ago.

Tim Day fits as well, but if the Bengals WR issue gets as bad as it is capable of getting, he may not be enough of a field-stretcher.

CB's---This position is very unclear. Some people believe this is a need that needs to be adressed is the first two rounds, some don't think it's even neccessary. What we need is a fast corner that does not miss tackles. If only that was as easy as it sounds. A cover corner is needed opposite Deltha O'Neal, Tory James is still decent but is aging and misses too many tackles, Keiwan Ratliff is a more physical guy but probably does not have the speed to be a starting CB. Depth is another issue, behind Ratliff there is really no one. Hopefully this need is filled through FA so we don't have to use a pick on it. If not, as said in the beginning, it could be anywhere from a 2nd to 5th round need.

Tye Hill is a very good CB prospect if we are to target one in the 1st Round. He may be this draft's top cover corner. He's very fast and is willing in run support. He's very durable and is a good leader, a capable replacement for Tory James. He'll likely be gone, but he's definitely a good prospect.

Jonathan Joseph is an very good cover corner who really came on for South Carolina last season. This guy is flying up boards and after he runs his 40, which will likely be Sub 4.4 he is expected to rise even more. The problem there is durability and he is a bit inexperienced. If he's there, Joseph may get the call with the 55th pick.

Richard Marshall is another cover corner with similar skills to Joseph. Marshall may not be quite as fast, but his speed is pretty good. He's a better cover corner than Joseph, but is not very polished and doesn't have those ideal instincts. Has pretty good size and is willing in run support. Marshall likely will not be there when we pick in the 2nd Round but is a great fit.

Cedric Griffin is a bigger guy, however, like Keiwan Ratliff, he has only average speed and doesn't fit the mold the Bengals would like to fit.

Anwar Phillips, Darrell Hunter, and DeMario Minter are three guys fit the mold decently and could be available in the 3rd Round.

In the second day, Charles Gordon, Devin Hester, and Will Blackmon would be intruiging picks. All three of these guys also provide a spark on special teams however they are raw as corners and may not upgrade the CB position as much as they would the PR position. They would definitley help to solve the depth problem and all have very good potential.

DE's---Another contoversial position. Some feel this is a need that should be addressed on the first day because they feel Geathers is not getting the job done. Others feel we simply lack depth and youth behind Smith and Geathers and that Robert should continue to get his chance to prove himself. I am part of that 2nd group. With Clemons and Powell both over 30 some new faces are definitely needed. The best fit as a backup RE would be a pass-rusher to supplant Geathers and give him some rest at times. This could be targeted anywhere from the 3rd to 5th round, but it seems pointless to take a DE any later than that.

Parys Haralson has well below average size, but is quick off the edge and knows how to get to the QB. If Haralson can put on about 10 lbs he could be a great backup and a potential starter one day. Look for him as a potential 3rd Rounder.

Darryl Tapp was one of college's top pass-rushers this past year. Though short, Tapp draws comparisons to the Colts Dwight Freeney. However Tapp doesn't have Freeney's sub-4.5 speed. Still, Tapp is extremely quick off the edge and could make a significant impact as a pass-rusher. However, it would likely take a Second Round Pick to get their hands on Tapp.

If you are a fan of taking a DE early, Matthias Kiwanuka is a pretty good fit. Kiwanuka has the potential to be a dominant edge rusher. He is very tall, with long arms and has pretty good speed. However, he lacks bulk and will be shut down by the league's better OT's. If Kiwanuka gains weight and gives a consitent effort he could be an elite DE in the NFL. It would take the Bengals 1st Rounder to get Kiwanuka, it is not even likely that he will last to 24.

Indiana's Victor Adeyanju is a name Bengals fans have heard a lot. The guy has all the physical tools, he has the work ethic and he has the experience. Yet Adeyanju remains a raw prospect and would likely fit better on the left side. I would not be willing to use a 2nd Rounder on him, yet if he is there in the 3rd Marvin may take a long look at this guy.

Stanley McClover is another DE who would take a 2nd Round pick to get. McClover, like Tapp, is very quick off the edge and is a very good pass-rusher. At 6'3 260, the guy is not exactly too undersized either, remember this guy's name. If he's there in the 2nd, we may consider this tenacious pass rusher.

Elvis Dumervil, Mark Anderson, Mike Kudla, and Eric Henderson are 4 guys who could fit in the 4th round.

Elvis Dumervil and Mark Anderson are the two best pass-rushers out of the 4, each with a good burst off the line and both get good penetration. However, Dumervil is short and pudgy and Anderson is a little light and could afford to hit the weights.

Kudla and Henderson are a bit bigger and more experienced. However, Henderson has durability problems and is inconsistent and Kudla may lack the explosiveness to ever start. Kudla is very smart and was an elite college DE, but isn't very fast nor is he quick enough to get consistent pressure, he'll be a great backup.

Enjoy! More will be added shortly.

That is good analysis and I'm glad to see CB is in there for the 1st Day targets by rounds because help is definitely going to be needed there for the Bengals to show defensive improvement. More so than safety or DT IMO. Whitner would be a great draft pick because he should be the next most versatile safety in the draft behind Mike Huff.

My prob. with your first pick is that Flordia State guys never do well here for some reason, and being that Bunk was a one year wonder, i feel he will be the same. The same could be said for Ko Simpson, that he only had two years under his belt. If we draft Bunk, I won't be mad, I just hope he can make it.

I like the rest of your draft though, good stuff dude.