Is Nate Webster in anyones top 50?

walzav29

I did a quick check of the Tampa Trib at tbo.com. I their pre-FA rundown of Bucs FAs, they note:

LB Nate Webster: A big hitter with an even bigger heart who is almost certain to find a starting job elsewhere, perhaps Atlanta or Indianapolis.

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGA5C4VOARD.html

And the Tampa report of the Cincy signing runs:

TAMPA - To virtually no one's surprise, Nate Webster's stint in the NFL unemployment line was a short one...The loss leaves Tampa Bay without a backup middle linebacker and a key special-teams contributor

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGASOVGAERD.html

Bottom line, to me anyway, is that it sounds like a good pickup, but nothing to break out the champagne about. I'd like to see what they paid...

Edit: espn says the deal breaks down like this:

Webster, 26, will sign a five-year, $11.3 million contract. It includes a signing bonus of $2.5 million and base salaries of $1.4 million (2004), $1.5 million (2005), $1.6 million (2006), $1.8 million (2007) and $2 million (2008). There are annual workout bonuses of $100,000 and Webster can also earn more than $2 million in "escalators" based on play time benchmarks.

So chalk off $1.9 million in cap space for this year. I can live with that. Good signing.

Edited by JoiseyCat

So chalk off $1.9 million in cap space for this year. I can live with that. Good signing.

Good Signing!?! That's a brilliant signing!!! Marvins magic is at work folks!! I can't wait to see what/who's next!!

Webster's a perfect fit here!! B)

I haven't seen Webster in anyone's top 50... BUT... he's played in Tampa Bay under some great teachers of the game (Derrick Brooks and Coach Monty Kiffin.) And he's only been in the league for 4 years so I still think he has an upside. I think he'll work well in Cincy.

But i'm more excited to see if Herring (visited Wednesday), Vincent (visiting Today), Coleman (visiting Today... I think), etc sign with us. The D-Line and Secondary are my two biggest concerns with the defense.

I have no reason to doubt the genius. I'm just wondering why no publications have this guy rated.

My guess would be because he's only started 6 games in four years -- which is no disgrace when the guy you have to unseat for the starter's job is Shelton Quarles. FWIW, pfw had him as their top "2nd tier" ILB candidate.

Inside linebacker: For those not wanting to spend bigger bucks on Denver’s Al Wilson, an interesting free agent could be Tampa Bay’s Nate Webster, who has not reached his college level of success in the pros. Webster could be a nice fit in a finesse defense that could take advantage of his read-and-react style.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Featu...dholm020504.htm

Webster finished at 119 on sportsline.com's LB rankings for last season. That was better than our Kahlid Abdullah, Cleveland's Chaun Thompson, and Baltimore's Adalius Thomas, so as far as the AFCN is concerned, the guy's a stud! ;)

Can't doubt his athleticism.... Can he be a pro bowl type of linebacker for us if we give him some beef up the middle....

Looks like he's actually under 6'0. and stands only 5-ll and 230lbs. He's got speed though, so he's gonna have to be seriously protected...

We better make sure we get a real good DT, other wise this guy is gonna be eaten alive...

Joisey-

You'll note that the Sportsline ratings are based on stats, which you won't get many of as a backup, so I doubt his skill is at that 100+ level.

What's even more telling IMO is that he's just above Dwayne Rudd, a starting OLB on the Bucs (former, he was released).

Joisey-

You'll note that the Sportsline ratings are based on stats, which you won't get many of as a backup, so I doubt his skill is at that 100+ level.

Oh, I know, I was just going for the tongue-in-cheek thing: here's a guy that's barely played ranked higher than two much ballyhooed rooks from last April and a Baltimore LB who's being touted by some as a sleeper pickup.

Re Rudd: good find.

THIS WAS ON ESPN EXPERTS RATINGS

A youngster who could keep developing, Webster is a player whom the Buccaneers seem intent on keeping in Tampa Bay. A bit undersized, he is a compact, aggressive player who isn't afraid to take on blocks. Fights to get to the ball. Might be a poor man's Zach Thomas. Great quickness and short-area burst. Has good instincts for a young guy. Slips blocks, make plays in space, and can be very effective when he is able to avoid contact or get protection from his linemen. Could turn into a good coverage linebacker because of his athleticism and effort. Flies around and gives up his body. A punishing tackler. Limited inside because of his size, but he has all of the other tools and intangibles. Can be engulfed by big linemen. Size and aggressiveness make his durability a concern. A good reserve because he can contribute on special teams and still is young enough to hold the promise of possibly developing into a starter one day.

Here we go! This is from Clayton on ESPN.

March 3, 2004

Hardy shifts to outside

The Bengals move to sign Bucs middle linebacker Nate Webster Wednesday night to a five-year deal will allow Kevin Hardy to move to his more natural position, strong side outside linebacker.

Webster was considered one of the steals of free agency, a fast middle linebacker with plenty of range.

Is it just me, or does he sound like the original Johnathan Vilma blueprint? Vilma is undersized, but he lays lumber, and he has great instincts, and can fly....hey I'd take a Zach Thomas wanna be in the middle anyday....s**t....Edwards is undersized and small and he still holds it down....good pickup Coach!

Looks like he's actually under 6'0. and stands only 5-ll and 230lbs. He's got speed though, so he's gonna have to be seriously protected...

I don't think so. He almost the exact same size (-1 inch, same weight) as the Bears great Mike Singletary, and NOBODY had to seriously protect this ball hawkin', bone jarrin', middle linebacker! Too many people here equate size with ability. Nothing could be farther from the truth. If Nate plays with half the heart of Mike, we will be much better at this position! B)

Billy !!!! Billy Billy Billy....... Hey I like Mike Singletary... but he had

and I quote...

Dan Hampton -----hall of famer..

Richard Dent -----hall of famer...

the Fridge------the size of both Dan Hampton and Richard Dent....

They didn't have to protect Mike Singletary... The offensive line never had a chance to leave their blocking assignments !!

Billy !!!! Billy Billy Billy....... Hey I like Mike Singletary... but he had

and I quote...

Dan Hampton -----hall of famer..

Richard Dent -----hall of famer...

the Fridge------the size of both Dan Hampton and Richard Dent....

They didn't have to protect Mike Singletary... The offensive line never had a chance to leave their blocking assignments !!

You're right! They made a ton of tackles which took them into the hall because offenses ran away from little ol' Mike! I do believe he was also defensive Captain to boot. His intensity was in-f**king-credible!! Smarts, speed, and strength beat big, dumb and slow every time!

Side comment...a defense as good as the Bears had then may never be seen again, but Marvin is working on it! :)

Hello all (First post) glad to be here and felt I could contribute a little bit by posting my thoughts.

Being from Tampa Bay my favorite NFC team is the Buccaneers by far...but when it comes to the AFC its always been the Bengals. I was watching Marvin lewis from the beginning last preseason and Im so glad to see where things are going.

Anyway about Nate Webster...

I really feel like this is an extreemly nice find and I am sort of torn at the response to this because I hate that he's not a buc but im not dissapointed he's a bengal.

In the small amount of time he was a starter he played with some ferocious aggression...and I really felt like he was the future at the MLB position or perhaps another line backer since the Buc's are starting to get a little thin there not counting Derrick Brooks.

But overall I really feel this is a great move for the Bengals...I think your all going to be pleasantly suprised with just how well he plays his position.

Good to be here :)

-T Bengal

Sportsline's Prisco (who IMHO is a dingbat) says...bad move:

Bucs linebacker Nate Webster to the Bengals

What it means: The Bengals badly wanted to move Kevin Hardy from the middle linebacker spot back to his natural outside position. Signing Webster makes that a reality.

The Good: Webster is a fast, quick linebacker who can get to the football when the tackles occupy blockers. He can also get down the middle of the field in coverage in the Cover-2 scheme.

The Bad: He is small at 5-10, which hurts his ability to see above the line in front of him. He also can be mauled at the point if guards are free to get to him. Some teams hate little linebackers, but Marvin Lewis is willing to sacrifice size for speed.

Good move, bad move or indifferent? Cincinnati could have found a better player, either in this free agency or in the draft. The fact the Bucs had to move Shelton Quarles to the middle when Jamie Duncan left says something about Webster. This is not a good move by the Bengals, who is trying to do anything to get Hardy back to the strong side.

I was just reading about Webster...he kinda sounds like a Terry Tate kind of guy. If you haven't already, check out the website and his films for some great laughs...we could use him on the Bengals!!!!

http://www.terrytate.reebok.com/

Terry Tate is my muthaf**kin Nukkah!! I love that dude....gotdamn he crunches fools

Different expert, different take. From Lenny over at espn...

One of the best, and most financially reasonable deals completed in the opening days of free agency was the Cincinnati Bengals addition of former Tampa Bay linebacker Nate Webster, who will almost certainly will step into a starting job. Webster has only six starts in four seasons, is viewed as too small to be a full-time player, and many teams regarded him only as a special teams guy. But the Marvin Lewis scheme figures to be a very nice fit for Webster, a very aggressive hitter, and a guy who plays a whole lot bigger than his physical dimensions. If Webster pans out in the middle, it will enable Lewis and coordinator Leslie Frazier to slide Kevin Hardy, who played the "Mike" spot in 2003, back to the outside, where he is more comfortable. Webster signed a five-year contract worth $11.3 million and including a $2.5 million signing bonus. That might seem like a lot for a player with so few starts but the guess here is that, by about halfway through the season, the Cincinnati investment will look like a good one.