Bengals-Steelers III

cincykent

Looking at the schedule it is very possible we play the Steelers the first round of the playoffs. The Colts and Broncos should lock up the top two seeds. The winner of the AFC North should win the #3 seed and Jacksonville the #5 seed(the Jags beat the Steelers and Bengals). Unless the Chargers sneak in as the last wildcard the Steelers and Bengals will go at it one more time. The AFC is so strong at the top. Some team may go 11-5 and miss out on the playoffs. The Bengals need to go at least 5-1 down the stretch to assure themselves a playoff spot.

Looking at the schedule it is very possible we play the Steelers the first round of the playoffs.

I didn't know the NFL allowed two teams from the same division to meet in the first round (or am I thinking of baseball?). Anyway, I suspect the Steelers will get a "bye" in the first round. The Bengals will probably have to play New England or Denver.

The AFC is so strong at the top. Some team may go 11-5 and miss out on the playoffs. The Bengals need to go at least 5-1 down the stretch to assure themselves a playoff spot.

I sure hope that is not true. It would be just the Bengals luck though to be 11-5 and not make the playoffs. I hope no one will be too angry at the Bengals if that happens. A three-game improvement over last year's record is really all we can hope for (many of us would have been happy with just a winning record). The Bengals are not going to go 5-1 against their schedule. Fortunately, I don't think San Diego or KC can do that either against THEIR schedules.

There's no prohibition against division opponents meeting in the playoffs. In fact, if the playoffs started now, not only would we play Pitt in the first round, but Dallas and the Giants would play each other in the NFC...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/playoffrace/bracket

Looking at the schedule it is very possible we play the Steelers the first round of the playoffs.

I didn't know the NFL allowed two teams from the same division to meet in the first round (or am I thinking of baseball?). Anyway, I suspect the Steelers will get a "bye" in the first round. The Bengals will probably have to play New England or Denver.

I think they changed that rule when they went to 6 teams per conference, since you could have both wild card teams from the same division. Before that the wild card team would play the team with the next best record, if the top team was from the same team as the wild card team.

If we win the division, we'll probably be the #3 seed, and the Steelers would be #6 (because of the Jaguars loss). In that scenario, they'd play in Cincinnati in the first round.

If the Steelers win the division, they'd be the #3 seed, and we'd probably be #6 (because of the Jaguars loss). In that scenario, we'd play in Pittsburgh in the first round.

It now seems very likely that one of these two things will happen, and I like it either way.

If we win the division, we'll probably be the #3 seed, and the Steelers would be #6 (because of the Jaguars loss). In that scenario, they'd play in Cincinnati in the first round.

If the Steelers win the division, they'd be the #3 seed, and we'd probably be #6 (because of the Jaguars loss). In that scenario, we'd play in Pittsburgh in the first round.

It now seems very likely that one of these two things will happen, and I like it either way.

Denver looked bad yesterday, we should wait and see. But i generally agree with what you guys are saying.

I think they changed that rule when they went to 6 teams per conference, since you could have both wild card teams from the same division. Before that the wild card team would play the team with the next best record, if the top team was from the same team as the wild card team.

Actually, it changed when they added a second wildcard team in the late 70's.

The last time the Bengals made the playoffs in 1990 they played their first round playoff game against division rival Houston Oilers. The Bengals stomped them then lost to the Raiders the next week.

There's no prohibition against division opponents meeting in the playoffs. In fact, if the playoffs started now, not only would we play Pitt in the first round, but Dallas and the Giants would play each other in the NFC...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/playoffrace/bracket

Wow, that link really puts things in perspective. If we're the #6 seed, we'd be facing Steelers in Pittsburgh, then Colts in Indy. That'll get your heart pumping.