I like Rudi, but.....CHRIS PERRY!!!!

BULLDOG28

This is only my second post, but after watching every Bengals game this year, I think the the time is right for us to make a move at running back. C.P. has SUPERSTAR written all over him, while Rudi, as good as he is, is as good is he's going to get. When Perry is in the game, he simply makes plays and has the potential to be to us what Edge is to the Colts. I think that Rudi, at this point, is a better "change-of-pace" back that we could use to hammer teams in the second halves of games are chasing Perry around through screen passes, tosses, sweeps and downfield passing (See Colts Game), and mke the kind of plays that Rudi can't.

Imagine a lineup of Chad and Henry on the outside, T.J. in the slot and Chris and J.J. (NFL's most improved fullback) in the backfield. XXX-PLOSIVE! I also think that Jeremi should be the tailback or single back in short yardage/goal line situations, the way that the Steelers use "The Bus", or the Raiders use Zack Crockett. He's proven in limited situations that he can get the tough yards.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perry definitely needs more "series" in games and more touches.

I'm still not convinced he can carry the ball without being a liabilty in pass blocking, securing the ball, getting tough yards that many times a game, and not get hurt. I think his role is perfect here if they can get him in there on a few more drives (whenever the crappy defense allows for it).

This is cp's rookie year, give him time, there's no rush with someone that young, it'll just save his body for years to come.

Can't happen. I know you may be daydreaming some, but you gotta figure all aspects and the salary cap doesn't allow these things to just happen with the stroke of the keypad. :sure:

Every skill position player who regularly contributes to the offense (Rudi, Chris P., Chad, TJ, Chris H.) is signed through '08. I think it's clear to see that Chris is far more talented to Rudi at tailback and only needs more experience (and maybe some better technique) in pass blocking to excees Rudi, ability wise, at every facet of playing running back in the NFL. He is James Brooks with more size and speed or a poor man's version of Edgerrin James or Ricky Watters, 2 future Hall-of-Famers. He is what can catapult a great offense into legendary offense, such as the ones in San Fran in the '80's, Dallas in the 90's and the St. Louis Rams in the early part of this decade. Keep in mind that Chad Johnson is the old man of the group at nearly 28 years old, and this is only Carson Palmer's (next Troy Aikman) 23rd start!

I think Perry just brings more to the table than Rudi. The only way we're going to be able to find out if he'll hold up for a complete season is to let him get 20 carries a game. I think they'd much rather find out while Rudi is still a Bengal. That's why I think that Marvin will make it an open competition in camp next year for the starting RB spot. I fully expect Perry to take the opportunity and run with it, pun intended :sure:

This was the game where he showed us what's possible. I like him and Rudi together, and I wish he got more touches. I think he can carry the load because he showed in college that he was capable of playing through pain and getting a bunch of carries, but they need to phase him in. Nice job, Chris.

It makes no sense whatsoever to trade Rudi, or bench him. I think they have done a great job using Pery's talents. I for one love the insurance if one guy goes down. Think about it. Peyton is 1 weird block away from blowing out a knee and their season is over. We could at least put in Kitna.

While Chris Perry had some awesome runs he is not a running back I would feel comfortable with (yet) in short yardage situations.

Credit the o-line for opening up some great holes for C. Perry, I wonder what he would be able to do against the more physical D of the Ravens this week.

I think Perry just brings more to the table than Rudi. The only way we're going to be able to find out if he'll hold up for a complete season is to let him get 20 carries a game. I think they'd much rather find out while Rudi is still a Bengal. That's why I think that Marvin will make it an open competition in camp next year for the starting RB spot. I fully expect Perry to take the opportunity and run with it, pun intended :sure:

But why fix what isn't broken? Increase Perry's role over time when he's more consistent or earns it, and he has....but 2-3 series a game and many 3rd down plays only...almost what he's getting now.

You just don't disgruntle your star, proven franchise record-holding RB in his prime in the middle of a playoff run - be reasonable people.

Perry's in a good role right now, it's working and he's very effective. He just came back from a year of not playing at all. There's no reason to rush or give him more carries than is necessary.

If Rudi is ever ineffective, then Perry should take over during a game and see if he can change things up - that's fair. So I guess those who want to see more of Perry will have to root for Rudi to fail pretty miserably. ;) Otherwise, Perry's doing just fine in his current role as a 3rd down player with a few series a a game IMO.

are you people insane, perry can't run up the middle like rudi does when the D stacks the box for the run. In the indy game we had their D spread out for the pass. perry is great on 3rd down and the 2 minute/ no huddle. by the way anyone see when he lined up as REC and went long. unbelievable route and catch. too bad we dont have one back with both qualities like LT.

This is only my second post, but after watching every Bengals game this year, I think the the time is right for us to make a move at running back. C.P. has SUPERSTAR written all over him, while Rudi, as good as he is, is as good is he's going to get. When Perry is in the game, he simply makes plays and has the potential to be to us what Edge is to the Colts. I think that Rudi, at this point, is a better "change-of-pace" back that we could use to hammer teams in the second halves of games are chasing Perry around through screen passes, tosses, sweeps and downfield passing (See Colts Game), and mke the kind of plays that Rudi can't.

Imagine a lineup of Chad and Henry on the outside, T.J. in the slot and Chris and J.J. (NFL's most improved fullback) in the backfield. XXX-PLOSIVE! I also think that Jeremi should be the tailback or single back in short yardage/goal line situations, the way that the Steelers use "The Bus", or the Raiders use Zack Crockett. He's proven in limited situations that he can get the tough yards.

I agree, it is a complete mystery to me why they aren't utilizing Perry more. I fully believe the roles should be reversed at this point, with Perry getting the bulk of the carries and Rudi spelling him at times and at goal line situations. Hopefully this will be the case next year as Perry clearly takes this offense to another level, no matter how much they are overpaying Rudi :sure:

Wow, relax the Bengals finally have a solid team with depth and all people can do is whine about who is getting more carries and who needs to be the starter.

Well I'm very happy with 7-3 and two running backs that have completely different running styles sharing the load and I am also happy with the fact that the proven veteran is getting the bulk of the carries.

RUDI has done nothing but give 110% every time he gets the rock and has made all of us (except DPM) forget about LEON by putting up better numbers than Dillon ever did.

Perry has shown some explosive moves and has excellent hands, but he is a work in progress.

The Bengals proved they are one of the few offensive teams that can keep up with the Colts in a slug-fest, now the defense needs to mature into a top tier unit and look out. Things would have been different if M. Williams would not have been injured early this season.

But why fix what isn't broken? Increase Perry's role over time when he's more consistent or earns it, and he has....but 2-3 series a game and many 3rd down plays only...almost what he's getting now.

You just don't disgruntle your star, proven franchise record-holding RB in his prime in the middle of a playoff run - be reasonable people.

Perry's in a good role right now, it's working and he's very effective. He just came back from a year of not playing at all. There's no reason to rush or give him more carries than is necessary.

If Rudi is ever ineffective, then Perry should take over during a game and see if he can change things up - that's fair. So I guess those who want to see more of Perry will have to root for Rudi to fail pretty miserably. ;) Otherwise, Perry's doing just fine in his current role as a 3rd down player with a few series a a game IMO.

I never indicated that Perry should take over for Rudi this year. I just think Perry is the better all around back and that he will be given the chance to win the starting job next year. Marvin has always preached that the best players will start regardless of contract. As many of you have stated there's no way the Bengals would trade Rudi wth the contract he just signed, but that doesn't mean he's garenteed to start.

RUDI has done nothing but give 110% every time he gets the rock and has made all of us (except DPM) forget about LEON by putting up better numbers than Dillon ever did.

Dillon is a far more talented back than Rudi, but he never had the opportunity to play on a good Bengals team. His stats in NE last year are indicative of what he can do on a good team. I will take Rudi's attitude over Dillon's skills though.

What makes you guys think that Perry cant run up the middle? OR he cant carry the load. You never now till you try. However he should be used to we have a lead then Rudi should come in!

In case you some of you missed his collegiate career, at Michigan Chris Perry was a Heisman Trophy finalist, consensus All-American and routinely posted games in which he amassed 35+ carries. Playing in the smash-mouth Big Ten, where it is a neccessity to run up the middle, he led the conference in rushing yards and attempts. Against the Colts "D", he showed not only that he can un up the middle, but it did it against a statistically top-ten defense and showed an explosive and quick first step that hasn't been seen here since the days of J.B. Neither Dillon or Rudi has Perry's type of explosiveness. In evaluating running backs, I just think that skill wise he is in the same class as L.T. in San Diego and Edge in Indy, especially when you consider his pass receiving skills.

When was the last time you saw a Bengals back catch the ball downfield, and honestly, I'm growing tired of watching passes bounce of Rudi's helmet and promising screen passes turn into 2-yard gains due to Rudi's lack of acceleration and speed. Combine that with the fact that we're almost always in 2nd and 9 or 3rd and 7 due to his growingly routine 1-yard runs, and I think that the Bengals should at least even the carries between the 2.

If there was a Pro Bowl vote for 3rd down back, Chris Perry ought to get it.

But that's all he is is a 3rd down back for now and probably a lot longer. Unless they start using him more split or in the in the slot as a receiver. Or decide to change the right side of their O-line and get a H-back/TE like the Colts have in Dallas Clark.

Perry's the guy they want in there for passing situations or draw plays, just so long as he doesn't have to pick up any blitzers. In a game where the Bengals are down by 2 scores or more, he's also the back they want in there. Like he showed vs. Colts, he's great on draw plays and misdirection when the other's team defense is playing prevent and the box is thin because the other team is winning big or willing to give up chunks of yards.

But in their losses this year when they put in the Chris "SUPERSTAR" Perry package during the course of the games, they got their ass burned. And they did it again vs. the Colts when he had 3 carries for 9 yards and failed to get the 4th down on an ill-advised pitch out. That in itself didn't cost the Bengals the game but it damn sure came close.

I'd like to see less of Perry as an RB (espeically vs. a 3-4 D) and more of him as a receiver, but then he's competing with Chris Henry and not Rudi.

If there was a Pro Bowl vote for 3rd down back, Chris Perry ought to get it.

But that's all he is is a 3rd down back for now and probably a lot longer.

Barring injury to Rudi, at least for a couple of years. Salary cap considerations will eventually force them to pick one or the other...but there's a lot of football to be played between now and then, and who knows who will look best in two or three years?

An aside on Perry: bengals took a boatload of guff for his selection because they passed up chances to take two supposedly better players, Kevin Jones and Steven Jackson. Here's how they stack up so far this year:

Jones (through 11 games): 177 touches, 621 yards (523 rushing/98 receiving), 5 TDs

Jackson (10): 201, 1,014 (735/279), 8

Perry (10): 91, 559 (254/305), 1

Definitely looks better than Jones and stacks up well vs. Jackson.

Glad to see others are starting to see things my way :)

Perry looks more like an all around full time RB on a high powered offense than rudi does. I think Rudi will be good to have around as a backup and short yardage guy, though I too would like to see Jeremi Johnson in at HB some on short yardage, but I think Perry is well on his way to taking over the full time duties.

And to reply to Joisey's post, I think Perry is going to be a much better pro than Steven Jackson, hes just never impressed me, what did he do last week 12 carries for 6 yards against the cardinals? Pathetic, he has some big games when things go his way but as a full time starting RB in an offense that has a great passing game to take the pressure off the run, he shouldnt have these types of games.

As for Kevin Jones, hes kinda screwed by being on one of the worst teams in the league. I never realized how bad the Lions offense was before seeing that thanksgiving game.