The Big Decision

BengalszoneBilly

I must be the only one on here that thinks this FA class of cornerbacks are overrated.!!

Ahmed Plummer still lacks basic body control to play the corner position. He's too stiff in the hips, and doesn't have catch-up speed when he guesses wrong.

Antwoine Winfield is too short, and only this past year did he have a season that made people take notice.Plus he had more opportunities to make plays because their front 7 was better.

Shawn Springs. Another Ohio St. guy that hasn't lived up to his billings. He's never been a shut down corner and never will be. Plus he's injured more that Pluto in a disney cartoon.

Champ Bailey.....too expensive, and getting turned and burned by Marty Booker (bears) Chad, and Marvin Harrison repeatedly in the Pro Bowl raises some questions to me as well.

Charles Woodson....great when he's healthy. I like him more than Bailey, but too many injuries to his legs. Sometimes he seems like an aging running back with the wheels (legs) going.

Having said this, in this day of Free Agency, picking up another teams castoff can be just as much a crap shoot as a guy coming from the draft. Too many times have we seen players opt for greener pastures and play like straight up bummmmmsssss.....when they get there.

Good points for the most part, except I disagree on the "Champ Bailey" part. Getting burned in the Pro Bowl, which counts for nothing, is to be discounted completely! Although it WAS the best Pro Bowl I've ever seen!

Chris - the point is, we can get a quality -- not hall of fame cornerback -- opposite Tory James so we can concentrate on other defensive positions. Whether its Plummer or Winfield or Springs, they are a huge upgrade to our cornerback solution. Picking up either, doesn't cost us TOO much and we can concentrate on fatty linemen and guys that will help stop the run and pressure the QB.

Having said this, in this day of Free Agency, picking up another teams castoff can be just as much a crap shoot as a guy coming from the draft.

The difference is, Chris, that these guys have shown their ability in the NFL.

Good stuff Chris, I see a great conversation brewing.. :)

I tell you what....I'd much rather have Plummer or a drafted CB than hawkins.....

I beat him in coverage everyday in practice.....you can see it on his face.....

me and Chad joke about it after every scrimmage....."He gon' cry when he get in the car"...

Whether its Plummer or Winfield or Springs, they are a huge upgrade to our cornerback solution. Picking up either, doesn't cost us TOO much and we can concentrate on fatty linemen and guys that will help stop the run and pressure the QB.

That's the ticket! If it works out we will pick the best available CB,DT, or LB in the draft and laugh all the way to the playoffs!