The Big Decision

BengalszoneBilly

When I say "big decision", I'm talking about where will the Bengals go to fill their two biggest needs. Both of which are obviously on defense. I'm almost positive the Bengals will go through free agency to fill the "skill" position of cornerback (shutdown type would be preferable), and use the draft to bolster the admittedly weak defensive line/linebackers. Let us know how you feel here! B)

I said go with FA's to bolster the secondary and use the draft on D-line/Linebacker....I figure those positions are leastly to get burned and hurt the team by making a rookie mistake...But then it just depends on who they can get in here...maybe use FA on defense and use the early round draft picks for the o-line? I mean we can talk about their defensive needs all day but what if a top o-lineman falls to the Bengals in the first or second round? Do you say no to that?

I mean we can talk about their defensive needs all day but what if a top o-lineman falls to the Bengals in the first or second round? Do you say no to that?

I certainly do not! This game is won on the line! We need help on the offense too, just not as bad.

We've got two top picks in the past two years on the o-line plus a Pro Bowl starter. We don't need another top pick at offensive line. While I'm the biggest supporter of the trenches, if you keep focusing on one aspect, the others continue to fall as the rounds continue.

I agree with your statement for the most part. I just think depth on the offensive line is always a good thing. You never know when the dreaded injury bug will strike!! :huh:

Yeah agree go with secondary in FA. Teams tend to gun for young rookies and he could give up big plays. Easier to teach Dline and LB. Comabine is this weekend any thoughts?

You could also argue that this team really isn't expected to make it far next season anyway.. there's too much of an expected turn around to expect sudden success.. I'd rather have a guy, if the plan is to develop for a 2005 run with a young shutdown corner that we can develop and sign for a long time; its cheaper than a FA and mold him to the system rather than the system molding to him.

Just giving you guys something more to chew on for discussion.

I agree with your statement for the most part. I just think depth on the offensive line is always a good thing. You never know when the dreaded injury bug will strike!! 

There's no doubt depth is a benefit, but if you can fill a need -- like the whole defense -- rather than a young line that's expected to do pretty well with one more addition (not talking 1st or 2nd rounder) you're better off on the 2005 Super Bowl run with one, possibly two starters on defense that would have been sacrificed on O-line.

This is an excellent discussion, b/c I truly believe we are one player from having one of the best o-lines in the league. Levi Jones will do much better, Steinbach has a year under his belt, Anderson coming off a Pro-Bowl season; we could do great with one more addition.

I'd rather have a guy, if the plan is to develop for a 2005 run with a young shutdown corner that we can develop and sign for a long time; its cheaper than a FA and mold him to the system rather than the system molding to him. 

That's a plan more palatable for those of us with patience, but patience has worn thin for the past 12 or so years around these parts, don't you think? B)

I'd rather have a guy, if the plan is to develop for a 2005 run with a young shutdown corner that we can develop and sign for a long time; its cheaper than a FA and mold him to the system rather than the system molding to him. 

That's a plan more palatable for those of us with patience, but patience has worn thin for the past 12 or so years around these part, don't you think? B)

That's a plan more palatable for those of us with patience, but patience has worn thin for the past 12 or so years around these part, don't you think? 

I definitely agree, but my frame of mind was two part and I've mentioned this before. First of all you have the 1991-2002 which is the Age of Helplessim, no hope, no desire to win. Second you have the New Age of Marvinism in which we know there's direction, there's definitely hope. Hell, we've been talking up a storm, the visits to this site hasn't gone down despite being in February; we're still talking highly and confidently about the Bengals. That's never been the fact during the Age of Helplessism.. eh?

Hell, we've been talking up a storm, the visits to this site hasn't gone down despite being in February; we're still talking highly and confidently about the Bengals. That's never been the fact during the Age of Helplessism.. eh?

Now ain't that a beautiful symptom of Marvins Magic? B)

Personally I would like to see the Bengals pick up Antione Winfield (CB) and Damien Woody (G/C) via free agency then get somebody like Vince Wilfork or Randy Starks in the first round, Teddy Lehman (reminds me a lot of Dan Morgan) in the second round and a gaurd/center type in the 3rd round.

If we can't get Winfield then Plummer would be a nice substitute. I would love to see Bailey but we are more than one player away and you don't want to blow your entire load on him.

Winfield would be nice, but I don't think the Bills will let him go....in the end we'll probably sign Plummer, another Buckeye...

If we go that route, then I'd rather have DJ Williams from Miami....and then concentrate on either a DT, or CB/S in the 2nd round.....Ahmad Childress, Igor from Oregon, Donnell Washington, or even Darnell Dockett if he's there.....Matt Ware is the prototypical DB that Frazier likes, he can play both CB and S, but depending on the Combine workouts, he might rise a little higher, wouldnt be suprised to see someone gamble on him in the 1st round.....If Chris Snee is there, I say grab him....you can't go wrong bolstering the O-Line, especially since we don't know what the deal is with O'Dwyer and Braham yet...plus its an investment in Carson Palmer's well-being....he already has toys to play with, now he just needs the protection.....overall, there are a lot of directions the Bengals could go....I trust Coach Lewis will make the right decision...

Who-Dey! :D

I trust Coach Lewis will make the right decision

When was the last time anyone trusted a coach to make the right decision. I think that speaks measures on the strides the Bengals have made not only the product on the field but the trust and confidence the community has in the team. It's a damn good time to be a Bengals fan!

We could do what we intended last year and that is boost the offensive line through free agency and concentrate solely on defense in the draft.

Our only legitmate weaknesses on offense is depth and youth at center , and a new right guard and backup left tackle. The coaches are said to like Scott Kooistra to play several different positions. Why not get a guard or center via free agency.? They most assuredly will come a lot cheaper than a dt or cornerback.

The strengths of this years' draft just happens to be, DT,LB,and CB.... We could draft a corner in round 1...DeAngelo Hall

2...Dwan Edwards

3...Rod Davis ....

Not the bigger names in the draft,but they would fill all of the needs. Could still draft another running back and tight end in the later rounds .

Why not get a guard or center via free agency.? They most assuredly will come a lot cheaper than a dt or cornerback.

I'm sure all 22 positions are being looked at -- we need depth at all positions.

I've continously had the position of drafting defense and fill gaps on offense via FA. Special teams could be the run off from both sides.

With the strength of this years FA corners, I would prefer the Bengals choose to address that problem in FA instead of the draft. If they decide to draft a corner he will be picked on all year, whereas a free agent corner will make an immediate impact. Terence Newman was a close as it comes to a shutdown rookie and he still got abused in the playoffs, and there is nobody as good as Newman in this year's draft. One guy we may want to take a look at if Winfield and Plummer don't work out is Shawn Springs. According to the things I've read is he is anxious to prove he is still a shutdown corner and you can get him much cheaper than a lot of FA's. I think he would be every bit as good as Tory James... probably better.

Shawn Springs. According to the things I've read is he is anxious to prove he is still a shutdown corner and you can get him much cheaper than a lot of FA's. I think he would be every bit as good as Tory James... probably better.

Too high of a price for someone that can't stay healthy....Now if he was willing to come in at a one year vet minimum to prove he'has what it takes then yeah, otherwise stear very clear....