Cap space

kevnz

I think we've all heard that the Bengals only have about 8 million in cap space....How the hell did this happen??? How on earth are the Bengals gonna land any kind of upgrades on Defense and the O-line??? Who's gonna get cut? Did the 8-8 season set the team back, because instead of slightly higher draft picks, and an excuse to cut a few more people...They have higher expectations, lower draft picks, and not a lot of money under the cap....

Also, considering the lack of talent for so little cap space I think it's high time the Bengals bring in someone just to manage the cap...

well we get rid of dillion that frees up 3 million gut Gibson thats a million maybe get rid of ross uh there or others to help free some room up

I thought getting rid of CD only freed up about 1 million? Plus the cap hit next year too. Yeah, I say OG is gone. But I'm not so sure about Ross...depends on the draft IMO...

What about Kitna? I know that he will be mentor to Palmer and a good backup, but unless he restructures his contract I think he might be expendable, and will free up cap space. How much does he count against next years cap?

B

Okay!! As much as I've dissed Jon in the past...DO NOT LET HIM GO!!!! He's an "Ace-In-The-Hole". He can do many jobs in his role as a backup. Mentor is just but one of them. I'm crazy, but I ain't THAT crazy!! Keep Kitna!! B)

Well, Kitna has already indicated he's willing to rework his deal to free up some space, so there's no need to worry unduly there. As to Dillon's number, the cap hit depends on when he gets cut or traded, before or after June 1. Before June 1, we take his whole remaining signing bonus hit this year; after June 1 we can spread it out over this year and next.

As to kev's question in the OP, I don't think they've done a bad job of cap management at all. That $8 million number is just the starting point, player cuts will increase it (and we have to cut someone for everyone we sign, at least in respect to the final roster).

Trading Dillon will only save 1.2 million for this year and a little under 1 million next years' cap. Kitna could restructure, pushing his final year into 3 or 4 years at around 2 million ,which would free up another 2... so now we're about 11 1/2 million under.

Oliver Gibson counts 1.6 million....( i can hear an axe sharpening...

13 million....

Adrian ross counts about 2 million... (probably will be back.)

13 million.....

Jeff Burris counts about 2 million....( HA-San CHop !!)

15 million.....

-4 million .. for rookie pool....(which will go up if we lose FA's causing us to receive extra picks or compensation picks.

either way folks.... You ain't gonna get Champ.

What about Kitna?  I know that he will be mentor to Palmer and a good backup, but unless he restructures his contract I think he might be expendable, and will free up cap space.  How much does he count against next years cap?

B

Okay!! As much as I've dissed Jon in the past...DO NOT LET HIM GO!!!! He's an "Ace-In-The-Hole". He can do many jobs in his role as a backup. Mentor is just but one of them. I'm crazy, but I ain't THAT crazy!! Keep Kitna!! B)

WHAT?! Billy supporting Kitna?

Man o' man, I could go on a rant about Kitna for tons of posts; in fact I think I did for a long time in which everyone just gave up against me. :lol: Like Joisey said earlier, Kitna has reported many times about approaching Marvin about restructuring his contract.

We've only been out of football for two months, we still have five months before training camp.

Chris - I completely agree with all of your axe welding outdoors man-ship.

Trading Dillon will only save 1.2 million for this year and a little under 1 million next years' cap. Kitna could restructure, pushing his final year into 3 or 4 years at around 2 million ,which would free up another 2... so now we're about 11 1/2 million under.

Oliver Gibson counts 1.6 million....( i can hear an axe sharpening...

13 million....

Adrian ross counts about 2 million... (probably will be back.)

13 million.....

Jeff Burris counts about 2 million....( HA-San CHop !!)

15 million.....

-4 million .. for rookie pool....(which will go up if we lose FA's causing us to receive extra picks or compensation picks.

either way folks.... You ain't gonna get Champ.

I just saw the updated cap numbers today, allow me to add some additional information. If Dillon is cut or traded before June 1st we will take the full cap hit of 4.2 million (remaining prorated signing bonus) this year without any hit next year, which would save us 1.2 million on this year's cap and 5.5 million on next year's cap. If he is cut/traded after June 1st the remaining 4.2 million signing bonus is spread out over two seasons saving us 3.1 million on this year's cap and 3.4 million on next year's cap.

Oliver Gibson counts 2.42 million against this year's cap, I expect him to be cut. He is not as athletic or productive as Lewis demands.

Adrian Ross counts 1 million against this year's cap... with that low of a cap number he could be back depending on how his knee responds. I've heard the Bengals are high on Teddy Lehman at MLB and might try and get him in the 3rd round. If this happens I see Ross being cut, with Hardy and Abdullah competing for the starting SLB spot. One scenario I could see playing out is trading down and getting Johnathon Vilma at the end of the first round.

I expect either Burris or Hawkins to be cut, but not both. Actually, I think it will be Hawkins because his cap number is higher and Burris can be used to cover slot receivers and mentor young corners like Weathersby. Look for the Bengals not to make a run at Bailey (WAS wants 1st, 2nd and additional player) but at Winfield/Plummer and Robaire Smith (DT from TEN).

I still think we have an outside chance to get get Bailey, but why is nobody discussing Bobby Taylor or Troy Vincent from Philly?

I'm guessing because of money. Picking up Bailey would be stupid because of what he'd cost for our team both financially and personnel-wise, and now they've tagged him, the cost has just gone up.

Note to Plummer: Come on home buddy B)

why is nobody discussing Bobby Taylor or Troy Vincent from Philly?

Age. They would be at best a one year solution...The team needs to think long term, not one year shots.

Has Mccalister been tagged by Baltimore...I was fairly sure he was a free agent also and he's young....not that hed want to leave with Lewis and Ed Reed around him and possibly Warren Sapp coming..but a thought

From what I was reading at "Ravens Talk.com", they fully intend to if need be!

Has Mccalister been tagged by Baltimore...I was fairly sure he was a free agent also and he's young....not that hed want to leave with Lewis and Ed Reed around him and possibly Warren Sapp coming..but a thought

i read in the paper the other day that they resigned him already so cross him off your dream list boys