Is Marvin taking the right approach against Pittsburgh?

derekshank

“The key to it is that it’s not a big game for them. Let’s just play, it’s another game,” Lewis said. “You go and you play just like the last game. And that’s the point that I made all last week. Pittsburgh plays 16 ‘big games.' Just like we do. They all count the same and they’re all big."

I read this quote today on Bengals.com, and was immediately reminded of the horrors of Coach Cooper with Ohio State.

He would always downplay how big the Michigan game was... and tell his players it is just another game... and we would always, ALWAYS lose.

Enter Tressel, and he plays the big game up. He circles it on the calendar, and tells them that the game defines their season. He tells them that it is their chance to be men... and we usually win now.

It seems to me that when you downplay a big game, the players get mixed messages... because everyone but their coach is telling them it is huge. Why not play it up as a huge game, and let them know that big time players make big time plays in big time games?

It's just a thought. Marvin Lewis is one of the best leaders I've seen with a football team, so I don't want to question his plan... but that was just the thought I had. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I look at this way. If the other team thinks it's a big game, while we brush it off as another, then the team that knows big things are riding on this game will most likely win.

And I don't believe for a second Marvin or the Bengals thought this game was just another game. This is Marvin's first NFL team, against his first head coach, in a city he grew up in, a place he got his first Division Ia gig (Pitt), while the world watched to see how "legit" the team is.

C'mon Marvin, we love ya and all, but we ain't stupid. This was a big game you wanted to win and you were disappointed like the rest of us. But no one ain't left the train yet, we're still there ;)

(think he's reading this and feeling better about himself?)

Given that the Bengals were 5-1...and it's week 7 of 17...I don't think that the Tressel approach would have been the right way to go. Now...depending on what the situation is come time to go to Pitt (and my expectation is that both teams will still be neck-and-neck) I think you'll see some more fire on marvin's part.

“The key to it is that it’s not a big game for them. Let’s just play, it’s another game,” Lewis said. “You go and you play just like the last game. And that’s the point that I made all last week. Pittsburgh plays 16 ‘big games.' Just like we do. They all count the same and they’re all big."

I read this quote today on Bengals.com, and was immediately reminded of the horrors of Coach Cooper with Ohio State.

He would always downplay how big the Michigan game was... and tell his players it is just another game... and we would always, ALWAYS lose.

Enter Tressel, and he plays the big game up. He circles it on the calendar, and tells them that the game defines their season. He tells them that it is their chance to be men... and we usually win now.

It seems to me that when you downplay a big game, the players get mixed messages... because everyone but their coach is telling them it is huge. Why not play it up as a huge game, and let them know that big time players make big time plays in big time games?

It's just a thought. Marvin Lewis is one of the best leaders I've seen with a football team, so I don't want to question his plan... but that was just the thought I had. Anyone else have any thoughts?

The difference...college vs. pros. If you put to much emphasis on one game in the NFL you are done. Marvins point is every game is big, not just Pittsburgh. If he points out certain teams then the Bengals will be down for other games. In the NFL, you can never be down.