Sapp to Ravens?

HoosierCat

courtesy of ffmastermind.com's nfl quick bits column:

The St. Petersburg Times reports less than three weeks before the free-agent signing period, the Bucs don't sound optimistic about their chances of keeping DT Warren Sapp. The worst salary-cap figure in the NFC, coupled with glaring needs on both sides of the football will make it difficult to retain the seven-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle. GM Bruce Allen will meet again with Sapp's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis next week. "It'd be a shame if he left for something that we could do," Allen said Thursday. Though he has been given no assurances, Allen is hopeful Sapp gives the Bucs a chance to match any offer he receives from another team. "I believe so," Allen said. "You don't know how it works sometimes. A team will challenge a player to sign right there without making a phone call. If not, maybe 20 years from now, I'll be hiring him. Doug (Williams) will have been gone by then and maybe (John) Lynch will have been in here in between. We'll see." The front-runner for Sapp is believed to be the Ravens, who are nearly $25-million below the projected $78.7-million salary cap. Sapp is being recruited by former Miami Hurricanes teammate and Ravens Pro Bowl LB Ray Lewis.

Can't decide whether this would be good or bad. Sapp, even in his declining years, is still a dangerous player...but heck, it isn't like he could add all that much to an already-great defense. Sapp isn't going to come cheap, and it would make more sense for the Ravens to spend a big chunk of their FA dollars on some offensive weapons, namely a real corps of WRs.

C'mon. The Raven's needs on offense is as bad as the Bengals are on defense. And as hard as Ray Lewis is trying to "recruit" Sapp, he isn't the one who makes the decisions on personell. I'm sure he'd like to buddy up again with Warren, but from the chatter I'm reading on "Ravens Talk.com", their fans a seriously doubting it will happen. Nor do they really want him. They know they have to address their offenses problems first and foremost. B)

C'mon. The Raven's needs on offense is as bad as the Bengals are on defense. And as hard as Ray Lewis is trying to "recruit" Sapp, he isn't the one who makes the decisions on personell. I'm sure he'd like to buddy up again with Warren, but from the chatter I'm reading on "Ravens Talk.com", their fans a seriously doubting it will happen. Nor do they really want him. They know they have to address their offenses problems first and foremost. B)

Well to add my own skewed perpsective over here, Id also add that while most Ravens fans dont necessarily want Sapp, we feel that if Ray wants him, then he surely is good enough for the fans. Id take Sapp in a heartbeat

However, word is that the Ravens are also interested in bringing in Gary Walker who may be a cap casualty in Houston. He could perhaps be a better fit for our defensive schemes.....

Per offense, all we need to do is sign TO and then we'd just be ridiculous!!! My fingers are crossed :rolleyes:

Well to add my own skewed perpsective over here, Id also add that while most Ravens fans dont necessarily want Sapp, we feel that if Ray wants him, then he surely is good enough for the fans. Id take Sapp in a heartbeat

Jam-man,

You have to admit it was your Ravens offense that let your team down last season, as was our Bengals defense. It's sooo hard to put the entire package together on both sides of the ball, and then get them to play to their potential. You guy's appear to need TO far more than Warren Sapp. B)

Jam-man,

You have to admit it was your Ravens offense that let your team down last season, as was our Bengals defense. It's sooo hard to put the entire package together on both sides of the ball, and then get them to play to their potential. You guy's appear to need TO far more than Warren Sapp. B)

Kirk: Ray and Warren go all the way back to Miami days hence Ray's recruiting job egos wouldn't be an issue

Billy: Absolutely, but if you saw the Tennesee game our offense actually tied it up late. We are not so far off on that side of the ball as some in the media think. Adding TO could be the move that puts this unit and thus our team over the top.

If Jamal ever sees 7 man fronts again, those defenses are screwed

Now we definitely need TO more than Sapp but we can have both, can't we???

Kirk: Ray and Warren go all the way back to Miami days hence Ray's recruiting job egos wouldn't be an issue

You're right. I completely forgot about that. You don't think though after this many seasons as the leader of their respective teams in the NFL they could conflict with each other? Humm.. but you're right, I'm sure they are boys and all from the 'Canes days.

Ravens | Bucs' Sapp Not Top Priority - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:12:40 -0800

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports the Baltimore Ravens, who have been rumored to be the front-runners to sign Tampa Bay Buccaneers DT Warren Sapp as an unrestricted free agent next month, do not have Sapp at the top of their priorities list. Although it would be a good fit for both sides, the team is not willing to offer Sapp a contract on par with the league's elite defensive tackles.

Ravens | Bucs' Sapp Not Top Priority - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:12:40 -0800

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports the Baltimore Ravens, who have been rumored to be the front-runners to sign Tampa Bay Buccaneers DT Warren Sapp as an unrestricted free agent next month, do not have Sapp at the top of their priorities list. Although it would be a good fit for both sides, the team is not willing to offer Sapp a contract on par with the league's elite defensive tackles.

By Jamison Hensley

Sun Staff

Originally published February 14, 2004

Although published reports have named the Ravens as the front-runners to sign Warren Sapp, the team apparently has not targeted the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle as a priority when free agency begins next month.

The Ravens likely would show an interest in the seven-time Pro Bowl selection since the pairing would be a natural fit for both sides. Sapp probably would want to join a Super Bowl contender, and the Ravens' defense could use a penetrating force in the middle.

But Ravens officials, who repeatedly have said they would be prudent with their spending this offseason, probably would not be willing to give Sapp a contract on par with the league's elite defensive tackles. In fact, a league source said the Ravens may be equally intrigued with defensive lineman Gary Walker, who is expected to be released by the Houston Texans for salary cap reasons.

That's why no deal with the Ravens is expected to occur early in the free-agency period unless Sapp opts to take a less-than-premier contract.

----------------------------------------------------

The Ravens aren't throwing the bank at him, but at the right price, he can be ours.

The Ravens motto is "right player, right price"