TJ Out, Clemons In

HoosierCat

From da site...

NASHVILLE _ Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh won’t go here Sunday at The Coliseum against the Titans, but free safety Madieu Williams and defensive end Duane Clemons got the call for the Bengals as they try to bounce back from their first loss of the season. As expected, center Rich Braham returned to the starting lineup after missing the bulk of the last two games.

Williams is active but won’t start after injuring his shoulder 16 days ago late in a practice falling on his shoulder. He said earlier in the week he wasn’t sure how the injury is going to respond. He may need surgery after the season, but he said he wants to see if he can play with it for as long as he can.

As they have for the last three games, Kevin Kaesviharn and Ifeanyi Ohalete start at free and strong safety respectively.

Clemons, making his first appearance of the year after spending the first four games benched because of a violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy, hopes to give the Bengals’ pass rush a boost. Sandwiched between the seven-sack effort against the Texans two weeks ago are sackless games against the Bears and Jaguars. They also had no sacks in the opener in Cleveland.

In order to make room for Clemons, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis opted to make inactive Carl Powell, a guy that plays end and tackle while Clemons only moves inside on passing downs.

Houshmandzadeh, hurt near the end of his 105-yard outing against the Texans, missed his second straight game. With their top slot receiver out again, the Bengals need to get more production out of wide out Kevin Walter inside when the Bengals go with more than two receivers. Walter, who had a touchdown in the opener and continues his solid play on special teams, ended up Sunday night’s 23-20 loss in Jacksonville with as many catches (three) as penalties.

Rookie Chris Henry, who had a 25-yard touchdown catch and a 47-yard catch against the Jags last week, started in place of Houshmandzadeh.

Also inactive for the Bengals are cornerback Rashad Bauman, fullback Nick Luchey, tight end Tony Stewart, and defensive linemen Jonathan Fanene and Matthias Askew.

I'm glad they activated Clemons - and am wondering how they'll use him. They need a someone who can actually get to the QB more often, or at least pressure him. Pollack is too inconsistent to rely on right now. Justin is fine, but he can't do it all himself.

I'm really getting tired of them not lining up Geathers on the outside 100% of the time like last season. Guy's too damn fast to be rendered ineffective at DT. Please stop that failure of a move Breshnahan. They need his speed on the outside to contain QB's and RB's and cause havoc in the backfield, like Smith does on the other side. Rotate Clemons in like they did last season and drop the Pollack B.S. unless he can play OLB, or do something other than just rush the QB.

I found it notable that they chose to fit in Duane by deactivating Carl Powell, a.k.a. "Skipper" Marvin's Little Buddy. Is he dinged or is marvin finally realizing that the guy is a useful backup but nothing more?

It will be interesting to see how effective Williams is.

Did we re-sign Luchey for any reason, or were they under-quota in the "butts on the bench" department?

Is Askew ever going to amount to anything?

It will be very interesting to see how much and how well Madieu plays. Ohalete and KK get the start. I think Madieu is key to a Bengals victory today.

I agree, hopefully his shoulder holds up. I'd hate to lose him for the season.

Hopefully, Clemons will bring some much needed pass rush while I think we've been getting decent pressure we seem to be a step away from getting the QB on the ground.

I think Walter will do fine in the slot. He's got great hands & isn't afraid to give himself up to make a play . I don't think Washington is willing to go across the middle & give himself up.

I found it notable that they chose to fit in Duane by deactivating Carl Powell, a.k.a. "Skipper" Marvin's Little Buddy. Is he dinged or is marvin finally realizing that the guy is a useful backup but nothing more?

It will be interesting to see how effective Williams is.

Did we re-sign Luchey for any reason, or were they under-quota in the "butts on the bench" department?

Is Askew ever going to amount to anything?

:lol: Carl Plowed!

One good, minor thing about the actives this week is Poor Man's Pollack Larry Stevens. Proly won't see the field on D but he's a killa up the middle on special teams. Good to see him back in.

I guess they're keeping Askew inactive until he's an RFA :lol: