Kenny Anderson and the Jaguars

Stripes

As a QB coach, Kenny just didn't work out here in Cincy, tho the arrgument can be made that he was given little to work with. But he will always remain my favorite Bengals QB. As drafthistory.com noted just yesterday...

Monday, October 03, 2005

Bengals' Ken Anderson was the Greatest Quarterback ever Selected from a Division III School

Following the initial publication of my August 11th article on Quarterbacks selected from Division III schools, several astute readers (Paul Seeman, Bill Wood, Ken Wagoner) noted that I had overlooked the greatest Division III quarterback of them all, Ken Anderson, who played his entire career with the Cincinnati Bengals from 1971 to 1986. Anderson, who was selected in the 3rd round in 1971 from Augustana (Illinois), was known as one of the most accurate passers of all-time. His accuracy, intelligence, mobility and toughness made him the perfect quarterback for a Paul Brown led team. Anderson was a Pro Bowl selection on four occassions: 1976, 1977, 1982 and 1983 and tossed 2 TDs in the 1976 game. Anderson was the league's MVP in 1981. Anderson completed 25 of 34 passes for 300 yards and threw two second half touchdowns while running for another in Superbowl XVI as the Bengals gamely tried to overcome a 20-0 half-time deficit to the San Francisco 49ers only to fall short and lose 26-21. Anderson led his conference in passing in 1974, 1975, 1981 and 1982. In 1981 he threw 29 touchdowns with only 10 interceptions. In 1982 he completed 70.6 percent of his passes. For his career, Anderson completed 2,654 of his 4,475 passes for 32,838 yards and 197 touchdowns. In addition to his great passing, Anderson also ran the ball 397 times for 2,220 yards, 20 touchdowns and a 5.6 yard average.

Ken Anderson was Tom Brady before there was a Tom Brady. IMHO the fact he isn't in the Pro Football Hall of Fame remains one of the Hall's greatest injustices.

B) Kenny didn't do real well with Akili or David either one. I remember one of the complaints here was that he kept trying to make Kenny Andersons out of them. Could be true ... but on the other hand ... if he'd had a Kenny Anderson talent to work with it could've been a different story.

I don't really remember any of the coaches at any position exactly burining it up ..... running backs coach excepted of course.

B) Kenny didn't do real well with Akili or David either one. I remember one of the complaints here was that he kept trying to make Kenny Andersons out of them. Could be true ... but on the other hand ... if he'd had a Kenny Anderson talent to work with it could've been a different story.

I don't really remember any of the coaches at any position exactly burining it up ..... running backs coach excepted of course.

I don't think anyone could have coached them out of their destinies as busts. Props to Kenny for even trying.

I love Ken the player, but Ken the QB coach was horrible. I know he didn't have much to work with Akili and Mitchell, but I think he is too conservative as a coach and I think he'll hold back Leftwich. Which will help Sunday night. This is such a big test for our boys. EVERYONE will be watching the Bengals on this one. I hope they don't choke. I can picture a big Chad Johnson night.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../1066/SPT030101

Friday, October 7, 2005

Anderson: No time to miss the past

Former Bengals QB now with Jags

By Mark Curnutte

Enquirer staff writer

HIGHS AND LOWS

Ken Anderson's 16 years (1971-86) with the Bengals as a player are the most in franchise history. He spent another 10 years with the team as an assistant coach and offensive coordinator (1993-2002).

Anderson recalled the highs and lows with the franchise.

High point as player: The 1981 AFC Championship Game against San Diego played at Riverfront Stadium. "The Freezer Bowl, because we won that game. It was a big game played under lousy conditions."

Low point as a player: The Super Bowl following the Freezer Bowl, a Bengals loss to the 49ers in Detroit. "Everyone thinks you're going to get another shot. We didn't."

High point as a coach: The success of the offense in the mid-1990s, including quarterback Jeff Blake's Pro Bowl berth in 1995. "We had some pretty good offenses. Jeff Blake lit it up. (Receivers) Carl Pickens and Darnay Scott had some big years. Then in Boomer Esiason's last season (1997), we had a hell of a run offensively."

Low point as coach: Not being a part of the staff that turned the franchise around. "All of a sudden we got very old. Changes had to be made."

There are three sacred uniform numbers in Bengals franchise history.

The only one that's officially retired is No. 54, worn by Bob Johnson. The former University of Tennessee center was the first player drafted by the Bengals in 1968, and he played through 1979.

No. 78 was last worn by left tackle Anthony Muñoz, from 1980 through 1992. He is the only primary Bengals player enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

No. 14 has not been worn since 1986, when quarterback Ken Anderson ended his franchise-long 16-year run as an active player. Then he coached with the Bengals for 10 seasons as an assistant and offensive coordinator.

Anderson could be excused for getting a little emotional Sunday night. Now in his third season as an assistant coach for the Jaguars - his second working with quarterbacks - Anderson will face the Bengals for the first time.

He could get emotional, if his schedule would allow it.

"Quite honestly, I haven't had time to think about it," Anderson said Thursday in a phone interview. "I've been too busy preparing for a football game. I've got enough to do."

Anderson was not retained in 2003 after the hiring of Marvin Lewis as Bengals coach.

Anderson was one of nine assistants on Dick LeBeau's 2002 staff not asked back.

"It was devastating," said Bengals radio analyst Dave Lapham, who roomed with Anderson for eight years when they were teammates. "The Bengals were his adult working life. Kenny is a loyal guy, a humble guy, and I think he felt devastated that he had to go elsewhere and devastated that it didn't work out."

Anderson, now 56, still holds Bengals franchise records for pass completions (2,654), yards (32,838) and touchdown passes (197). He was league MVP in 1981 and still holds the NFL record for highest completion percentage in a season (70.55 in 1982).

"He was the franchise," is how Bengals president Mike Brown once described Anderson.

And though Anderson is leaving the nostalgia behind Sunday night, he said the game might be more emotional for his friends, wife and three adult children - all of whom still live in Greater Cincinnati.

He and his wife, Cristy, now live in Jacksonville. Anderson said it is a nice place to call home and he likes working for Jaguars CEO Wayne Weaver and coach Jack Del Rio.

"He's got a wealth of experience on offense," Del Rio said. "He obviously had a great career there as a player and then as a coach. We're happy to have him. He's done a very, very good job with Byron (Leftwich), developing a young quarterback."

Leftwich is in his third season. Anderson was his position coach as a rookie in 2003 but was switched to receivers in 2004, when one-year offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave wanted to coach quarterbacks.

Leftwich asked Del Rio to move Anderson back to quarterbacks.

"The great thing about it is you've got a guy who has played quarterback and been successful in the National Football League, so he understands what's going on out in the field, unlike some people who never really played the position before," Leftwich said.

Anderson never coached Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, who was drafted first overall in 2003. Leftwich was taken seventh. Anderson already had gone to work for the Jaguars when he spoke to Palmer about playing in Cincinnati.

"He's a very passionate person, and you could tell Cincinnati had a very big place in his heart," said Palmer, whose 71.8 completion percentage through four games is ahead of Anderson's single-season record.

"I always wish them well," Anderson said of the Bengals, "except this week."