Madieu Williams Injury

rizzy

I dunno.

I hope its not long.

We REALLY need Madieu on the field.

Dunno about football safeties, but I know it's killer for baseball pitchers. Two competely different uses of the arm, however, so he may be able to 'play through it'. My understanding is that it's the sort of thing that is very hard to diagnose definitively without surgery.

Torn Ladrum - Pitcher

FS Madieu Williams (shoulder) is believed to have a torn labrum.

Is a torn labrum bad? and how long are people out with this type of injury?

It really depends on the severity of the tear. Didn't Landon Johnson play last year with a slightly torn labrum? I had a torn labrum and it really limits your range of motion. My tear was at the top of my labrum (non-throwing shoulder) and I could not lift my hand above my head without serious pain. However, stupid me did play flag football, volleyball and softball for several years before getting it fixed. Obviously nothing compared to the pounding that these guys go through. You also run a significant risk of separation, since the labrum basically holds your shoulder in socket.

The only things that can stop this team, thus far, are penalties, and looks like possibly injuries. The injury bug hit hard last season, and I would HATE to see it happen again. Hopefully Madieu makes a quick recovery, and we see him back on the field against Jacksonville.

Gathered from various and sundry places across the Internet:

The labrum is a thin matrix of collagen seated between the head of the humerus (bone of the upper arm) and the glenoid fossa (the shallow depression where the humerus fits). It functions both as a shock absorber, cushioning the blow when the bones in the shoulder collide, and as part of the joint's connective structure. Signs and symptoms of a labrum injury include pain accompanying overhead arm motion, occasional pain in the shoulder at night or during daily activities, decreased range of motion and loss of strength in the shoulder. Treatment may include anti-inflammatory medication and rest. Exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles may then be recommended. If these measures are not effective, arthroscopic surgery may be done.

Niners Jennings also has torn labrum Jennings injury . This story indicates that the tear showed up with an MRI ... did Williams' show up like that too? Did he even get an MRI? Just wondering. At least for an OT, it doesn't sound like he will make it very long. Hoping it's different for Madieu's case.

Niners Jennings also has torn labrum Jennings injury . This story indicates that the tear showed up with an MRI ... did Williams' show up like that too? Did he even get an MRI? Just wondering. At least for an OT, it doesn't sound like he will make it very long. Hoping it's different for Madieu's case.

Well Landon Johnson had one last year and look at him now. :sure:

williams suits up per bengals.com. TJ doesn't sound so good tho:

Free safety Madieu Williams (shoulder) suited up Thursday for the first part of the Bengals' practice in shoulder pads and shorts after missing Wednesday's practice. Center Rich Braham (knee) and wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh (hand) sat out Thursday for the second straight day. Houshmandzadeh, who's got a big, puffy bruised hand, says he's wearing a cast-like contraption only at certain times of the day to fight the swelling and is optimistic he can play. Running back Rudi Johnson (knee) returned to work Thursday. Right tackle Willie Anderson (knee practiced for the second straight day.

williams suits up per bengals.com. TJ doesn't sound so good tho:

I don't mean to split burning hairs but identifying TJ's injury as a bruise is good news.

That's great news... It was starting to sound like he broke something in it. Damn the rumors, damn them all to hell.

not to split an already split burning hair, but...

I once "twisted" my ankle playing Rugby. Two huge black-and-blue bruises formed above and below it. Nine months later when I went to the doctor because my foot kept clicking when I went for a jog, he showed me that I had broken it on an xray and it had healed improperly. I'm not saying that his hand isn't just bruised, but I read this as the bruising being more a visual characteristic than being the actual injury. I hope I'm wrong...

not to split an already split burning hair, but...

I once "twisted" my ankle playing Rugby. Two huge black-and-blue bruises formed above and below it. Nine months later when I went to the doctor because my foot kept clicking when I went for a jog, he showed me that I had broken it on an xray and it had healed improperly. I'm not saying that his hand isn't just bruised, but I read this as the bruising being more a visual characteristic than being the actual injury. I hope I'm wrong...

Given the track record of the Bengal's medical staff, I predict that TJ has played his last game. I wouldn't let them prescribe catnip for my cat Puff! And I don't even like the damn cat.

I had a torn labrum a few years back. My shoulder came out of the socket fairly regularly because of it. I found out I was going to need surgery, so I stopped being careful... because even though it hurt like a son of a bitch... it wasn't getting any worse. I played basketball, and when it came out, I'd pop it back in, and keep playing.

It weakens the arm quite a bit, so in basketball, I couldn't shoot for nothing... (that was my excuse anyway) but in football, it seems like it would be mostly a toughness thing. Depending on how bad the tear is (if it can get worse, and how much it effects his tackling) I would expect him to play out the season, and get it fixed in the off-season.

It's hard to say though. It's not like he's got to make throws like a QB... but in a physical sport like football, he might not be able to be in there every play anymore. If his shoulder comes out of the socket as easily as mine did, he's going to need lots of wrapping, and will probably not have enough strength in his arm to finish a game if it comes out.

That was just my experience though.

As far as T.J. goes... I'm not worried about Henry playing opposite of Chad... but does that mean we would be left with Washington or Walter playing the slot? I don't like the sound of that.

I had a torn labrum a few years back. My shoulder came out of the socket fairly regularly because of it. I found out I was going to need surgery, so I stopped being careful... because even though it hurt like a son of a bitch... it wasn't getting any worse. I played basketball, and when it came out, I'd pop it back in, and keep playing.

It weakens the arm quite a bit, so in basketball, I couldn't shoot for nothing... (that was my excuse anyway) but in football, it seems like it would be mostly a toughness thing. Depending on how bad the tear is (if it can get worse, and how much it effects his tackling) I would expect him to play out the season, and get it fixed in the off-season.

It's hard to say though. It's not like he's got to make throws like a QB... but in a physical sport like football, he might not be able to be in there every play anymore. If his shoulder comes out of the socket as easily as mine did, he's going to need lots of wrapping, and will probably not have enough strength in his arm to finish a game if it comes out.

That was just my experience though.

As far as T.J. goes... I'm not worried about Henry playing opposite of Chad... but does that mean we would be left with Washington or Walter playing the slot? I don't like the sound of that.

Kevin Walter has a superb game at Cleveland and I am confident he can do it again and do it even better!!!!

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but does anyone know which shoulder it is? When you have this type of injury, the most painful thing to do is lift your arm above your head. Assuming he is right-handed, a right shoulder injury would be more difficult to overcome, because he would normally play the ball with his right hand.