What happened to the crowd noise?

cincyhokie

First off, unlike alot of people I come to game to watch football and cheer, I'm not one of those that hangs out and drinks beer by the vending booths ingnoring the ongoing game. When you come to the games you have a RESPONSIBILITY to cheer and make noise...if you just wanted to watch the game and be comfortable, STAY HOME and watch.

I was at the game yesterday and it was NOTHING like the Vikings game in regards to crowd noise. People, for the most part, were sitting and not making any noise. It was not until about 5 minutes to go after the Bengals scored the the field goal to make it 13-10 that there was any kind of disruptive noise...and what do you know, when the crowd made alot of noise, good things happened. What a surprise?

People were sitting ALOT more than in the Vikings game, I don't know if it was because of the heat, or because we were playing the Texans or what, but it was pathetic. There was a lady in front of me sitting and eating her hot dogs that was more concerned with recovering and eating the crumbs that had fallen in her lap instead of watching the damn game.

Then....after the Bengals scored the final field goal to make it 16-10 with 1 plus minutes to go, people began to leave the stadium....unfreakinbelievable.

I'm sorry but after yesterday the band wagon label this city gets is justified. We better hope that the fans come out to do their job for the Pittsburgh game.

And I'll keep saying it, and in total agreement with you ... the fan support in that Pittsburgh game on 10/23 is going to be critical. First, we need to BE THERE! I always hear people here in Pittsburgh brag about how Bengal fans sell them their tickets, and then they consider the game a 'home game' for the Steelers. THAT CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN THIS YEAR! Go to the stinking game ... root the Bengals on to victory ... DO NOT sell your tickets to the enemy! Second, cheer like you have never cheered before! BE HEARD! I don't care if the Bengals finedthemselves down or not ... CHEER! SCREAM! DISRUPT! Our D will be energized by the 12th man, and then they'll do their own disrupting of Ben Rottenburger. Get in his face, and he gets happy feet.

My message to Bengals fans for 10/23 ...

BE THERE! BE HEARD!

BE THERE! BE HEARD!

BE THERE! BE HEARD!

BE THERE! BE HEARD!

I don't think that's fair, some of the wind was taken out of the fans' sails. They were used to seeing the Bengals score like 20 points in the first half, so to see something low scoring can be demoralizing. And, several silly penalties and some big plays getting called back... that can make it hard to be excited.

I don't think that's fair, some of the wind was taken out of the fans' sails. They were used to seeing the Bengals score like 20 points in the first half, so to see something low scoring can be demoralizing. And, several silly penalties and some big plays getting called back... that can make it hard to be excited.

Very true but fans who have been to games before should know at least 2 things:

Not every game is going to be a walk away blow out, even good teams have rough days.

The more noise that is made makes it much HARDER for the other team to execute.

Lame excuse. You don't see that happening in cities with great crowds. I went to the Giants game last year and had the exact same reaction. They should pass out those towels at every game. It seems to give the people something to do. Otherwise, they all sit and drink beer. Instead of saying that they weren't cheering because we weren't playing up to par, maybe we weren't playing up to par because they weren't in the game.

Lame excuse. You don't see that happening in cities with great crowds. I went to the Giants game last year and had the exact same reaction. They should pass out those towels at every game. It seems to give the people something to do. Otherwise, they all sit and drink beer. Instead of saying that they weren't cheering because we weren't playing up to par, maybe we weren't playing up to par because they weren't in the game.

Exactly. Thank you.

Could not agree more. I went to the game yesterday and was disappointed with the atmosphere. The tailgating was still rowdy but the crowd as a whole in the game seemed a bit hungover after half. I also have a question regarding standing at the game. My buddy was standing cheering in an aisle seat while I went to get a couple adult beverages, and apparently he was told by the usher to sit down???? Can they even say that or enforce that, and have you heard of that ever before? When I came back and heard that I was pissed and stood the whole rest of the game, without being told to sit down. I just thought the whole premise was idiotic, you pay for the seat, you stand to cheer your team then you get told to sit down by some usher who you previously paid 5 bucks to show you to your seats, come on thats horrible.

:cheers:

The Texans did a great job in taking the crowd out of the game. When you run the ball and can keep the offense off the field, the crowd (here, there or anywhere) tends to go to sleep.

Also, the game yesterday was UGLY. The Texans never let the Bengals gather any momentum. The crowd would get fired up about a big first down, only to have it negated by a holding, etc.

The Texans did a great job in taking the crowd out of the game. When you run the ball and can keep the offense off the field, the crowd (here, there or anywhere) tends to go to sleep.

Also, the game yesterday was UGLY. The Texans never let the Bengals gather any momentum. The crowd would get fired up about a big first down, only to have it negated by a holding, etc.

Which is why if the fans have that attitude against Pittsburgh it's going to greatly reduce the chances for the Bengals to win.

Fans cheer because emotionally they're stimulated to do so. A fan pays a bunch of money for a ticket and if they want to go buy a hot dog they are welcome to. A fan has as much responsibility to cheer as a team has a responsibility to win. The Bengals did nothing for this city for 14 years and yet fans still attended. You sir misunderstand a fair weather fan. Cincinnati always supported this team with what was the worst franchise in the NFL.

I go to a game to cheer. If the Bengals don't do anything exciting though, i can understand why the casual fan would not cheer. The fan does not have an obligation to cheer, and after 15 years, it is unfair for you to call the city a bandwagon town. The Bengals played undisciplined football yesterday, and most fans were probably bored after so many penalties. This city does not even have a bandwagon title in football, you were the one to give it to them.

Fans cheer because emotionally they're stimulated to do so. A fan pays a bunch of money for a ticket and if they want to go buy a hot dog they are welcome to. A fan has as much responsibility to cheer as a team has a responsibility to win. The Bengals did nothing for this city for 14 years and yet fans still attended. You sir misunderstand a fair weather fan. Cincinnati always supported this team with what was the worst franchise in the NFL.

I go to a game to cheer. If the Bengals don't do anything exciting though, i can understand why the casual fan would not cheer. The fan does not have an obligation to cheer, and after 15 years, it is unfair for you to call the city a bandwagon town. The Bengals played undisciplined football yesterday, and most fans were probably bored after so many penalties. This city does not even have a bandwagon title in football, you were the one to give it to them.

The bandwagon label is what other cities and fans call this fanbase. Ok, getting away from the band wagon topic, you're right, a fan can do whatever they want when they come to the stadium. Can't argue with that at all.

However, anyone can tell the difference between a fan who is easily distracted, can't understand the importance of crowd noise, leaves a game early.....and those fans who know to cheer when the team is on defense, quiet down when they are on offense, and make as much noise as possible to help the team they paid to see win.

I remember 1986, 1988, 1989, and 1990 and Riverfront was ROCKING all of the time. Alot of the reason that 1988 team was undefeated at home was because of the crowd noise. I don't think that can be argued. The Steelers, Ravens, Broncos, and Chiefs stadiums are some of the loudest and rowdiest in the league. Guess what? They're also some of the hardest stadiums to play at.

My unltimate point is that fans need to know that NOISE is GOOD and sometimes by pulling themselves out of a state of self pity, they and those around them may be able to help the Bengals gain momentum and ultimately win the game. The crowd did this yesterday late in the 4th qtr and I think that it helped them win the game.

I think this game was an afterthought for the fans. Everyone expected the Bengals to roll Houston by 3-4 touchdowns. When it didn't happen like that, I think the fans were kind of deflated. Also, over a 16 game season, there are going to be some games that just don't excite the fans. A game against a winless team certainly qualifies as one. But wait until Pittsburgh comes to town...it will be LOUD!!!!!!

I disagree with your initial statement. The section I was in, stood and yelled during the first quarter, the fourth quarter and everytime the Texans had a critical play or a third down near our section.

4-0 is all I know.

I hear ya man. My section, for the most part, was into it. But it was nothing like the Vikings game. I guess I get way too into the games. I got off an overnight shift at 6am in Columbus, hadn't slept in 24 hours and showed up to tailgate and make some noise.

I am with you in my minor pessimism about the fans.....4-0 is 4-0. Who-Dey!

The Bengals did nothing for this city for 14 years and yet fans still attended. You sir misunderstand a fair weather fan. Cincinnati always supported this team with what was the worst franchise in the NFL.

In total agreement with you there. The Bengals have had great attendance given how terrible they were as a franchise for a decade and a half. Anyone who claims Cincinnati is a bandwagon or fair-weather town simply doesn't know what they are talking about.

I was also at the game, in the nose-bleeds, and there were times in the game that it got quiet... but it was boring. We were winning, and their offense was running the ball for about 3 yards a play. Nothing to get happy about... nothing to get angry about. It was the way the game went.

Anytime there was a 3rd down though, the crowd got loud. I was impressed with the crowd in that way. But you can't expect everyone in the stadium to scream at the top of their lungs because the Texans have the ball 2nd and 7 on the Bengals 30 yard line. Not exciting.

Oh yeah... at the beginning of the 4th quarter the fans really put the Texans behind the 8-ball. I remember specifically tha crowd noise became a very important factor in that drive. They were forced to use their final timeout, they had a false start, and after those two plays the energy for the defense resulted in a 17 yard sack.

You may be able to find some complaints about the crowd at times mid-game, but once the 4th quarter came, we reeked havoc on their offense.

Crowd energy varies directly with the level of competition. I see this all the time at Ohio State games. Last year, I went to the Indiana game, and for the most part, the crowd was quiet, expecting an easy win. I went to the Iowa game this year, and it was MUCH louder. You noted that when the game went into the fourth quarter, and was still close, the crowd started to get more into it. When we play the big teams like Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, it will be much more energetic, just like the Minnesota game (because the Vikings at that point were being lauded as superbowl contenders).

First off, unlike alot of people I come to game to watch football and cheer, I'm not one of those that hangs out and drinks beer by the vending booths ingnoring the ongoing game. When you come to the games you have a RESPONSIBILITY to cheer and make noise...if you just wanted to watch the game and be comfortable, STAY HOME and watch.

I was at the game yesterday and it was NOTHING like the Vikings game in regards to crowd noise. People, for the most part, were sitting and not making any noise. It was not until about 5 minutes to go after the Bengals scored the the field goal to make it 13-10 that there was any kind of disruptive noise...and what do you know, when the crowd made alot of noise, good things happened. What a surprise?

People were sitting ALOT more than in the Vikings game, I don't know if it was because of the heat, or because we were playing the Texans or what, but it was pathetic. There was a lady in front of me sitting and eating her hot dogs that was more concerned with recovering and eating the crumbs that had fallen in her lap instead of watching the damn game.

Then....after the Bengals scored the final field goal to make it 16-10 with 1 plus minutes to go, people began to leave the stadium....unfreakinbelievable.

I'm sorry but after yesterday the band wagon label this city gets is justified. We better hope that the fans come out to do their job for the Pittsburgh game.

Yeah it reallyp issed me off, people for about 3 rows in front of me didn't stand the entire game until our 2nd last defensive stand..i seriously wanted to bitch smakc them.

My friend who comes to the games next to me also sat a bunch cause some old fat lasdy, that was most likely diabetic could stand the entire game so i think he felt bad standing....I would of also,but after I was like WTF! who brings a lady that is almost about to die from heat exhaustion to a game...leave for christs sake.

I wasn't at the game, but I'm sure if it is a Pittsburgh or an Indianapolis that is in town, as opposed to what many consider the worst team in the NFL (which they are NOT), the whole stadium will be constantly rocking.

I remember, though I wish I didn't, 2002 when the Bengals played the Saints at the end of the year, and it was a must-win for the Saints. There were maybe 40,000 people there for that game, and because the Bengals had the chance to get a second win and to ruin playoff chances, the house was a-rockin.

I totally understand complaints about cheering, but it's not something to get worried about and certainly not something to call Cincinnati a bandwagon fanbase, because it is the exact opposite. I've been a fan of the Bengals since I could think, and still put up with the crap of people saying "Ha, you're a Bengals fan?" But who cares, they're my home team and I'm gonna root for 'em, and I'm sure that's how everyone else here feels.

OK, enough ranting for me. :ike:

The crowd could have been a bit more rowdy, but the noise was there when it mattered. All the 3rd down plays had a nice roar, particularly at the end of the game. The 12th man concept is really interesting. I think it is simply the unfulfilled desires of non-athletes, who want to be part of the action. A fantasy really. You are fat, slow, and never did have any ability, so get over it and just enjoy the game.

I was also at the game and I thought the crowd was pretty good up until halftime.. I swear I saw a few unattended seats and it looked like people left at half. Don't know why and personally I'm a little hoarse. I for one didn't expect it to be that hot and I had jeans on and by the time I got to my car after the game I was pooped!

The crowd could have been a bit more rowdy, but the noise was there when it mattered. All the 3rd down plays had a nice roar, particularly at the end of the game. The 12th man concept is really interesting. I think it is simply the unfulfilled desires of non-athletes, who want to be part of the action. A fantasy really. You are fat, slow, and never did have any ability, so get over it and just enjoy the game.

Interesting take on the 12th man.

I really don't think that it matters who is making the noise, as long as there is something to disrupt the visiting offense from hearing as well as they should.

It doesn't matter if the fans are "fat, slow, and never did have any ability" or they are high school players or they are little tiny women (hotties preferably).....

Noise is noise. It affects the other team and helps the Bengals. If the fans truly want the Bengals to win they should make as much noise as they can, forget about their little discomforts and get over it.

I totally understand complaints about cheering, but it's not something to get worried about and certainly not something to call Cincinnati a bandwagon fanbase, because it is the exact opposite. I've been a fan of the Bengals since I could think, and still put up with the crap of people saying "Ha, you're a Bengals fan?" But who cares, they're my home team and I'm gonna root for 'em, and I'm sure that's how everyone else here feels.

Ok, alot of you are taking offense at my first post. I am not calling the fanbase "bandwagon". Other fans and cities are. What makes it look true is when fans are LEAVING with the lead of 6 points and about 2 minutes to play.

I should have said "MAYBE the label of bandwagon is justified."

Ok, aside from eating my words, I just think it's a little sad that alot, not ALL, of the fans just simply don't know when to stand, cheer, be quiet, and stick around to cheer until they see 00:00 in the 4th. I would like the atmosphere in Cincinnati to be one like Pittsburgh and Baltimore, it's getting there but it's not there yet.

Truthfully, I may be a bit used to seeing college ball. You just don't sit at all. Granted, there were times we played teams we should have stomped. The crowd wasn't into it. As soon as the crowd realized the game was going to be close it got into it. Not in the 4th quarter, but as soon as they realized that the team might lose. I was concerned the Bengals were possibly going to lose in the 2nd quarter. They just seemed "off" a bit.

Dude I don't know what section you were in, but the crowd was easily as loud as the vikings game was. I was in section 317, and it seemed we never sat down. It was a good atmosphere, and a loud one. I mean Carr had to take at LEAST 2 time outs b/c of crowd noise before the 4th quarter.

Look all I know is I came out of that game thinking the only game I've been to that I knew was louder was the MNF game last year. I just don't see how you think it was a weak atmosphere.

Dude I don't know what section you were in, but the crowd was easily as loud as the vikings game was. I was in section 317, and it seemed we never sat down. It was a good atmosphere, and a loud one. I mean Carr had to take at LEAST 2 time outs b/c of crowd noise before the 4th quarter.

Look all I know is I came out of that game thinking the only game I've been to that I knew was louder was the MNF game last year. I just don't see how you think it was a weak atmosphere.

Must be a section by section thing. But alot of people I talked to today said the same thing that I have.