Texan's Game Plan

mtmeece

Excuse me in advance if this topic has already been covered. I think that what the Bengal's can expect from the Texan's on Sunday is a focus on basic play meaning nothing fancy just trying to excute the basics like running the ball and the quick dump off pass to keep the pressure off Carr. I don't think they will try many long passing plays because this exposes Carr and so far his O line hasn't given him much time to do so. I have also read somewhere that part of their dissary stems from Carr calling audibles at the line, look for the plays to be called in from the sidelines and they will probably be fairly basic. any Thoughts??

Yeah, Pendry has been noted as one to stick to the running game and to three step drops in the passing game. I honestly expect this plan to fail miserably for the Texans. To be a power running team, you need a physical offensive line, a power back, and a quarterback that stands strong in the pocket on third downs.

That offensive line is terrible, not only in pass protection, but also in run blocking. Davis has never had a season averaging 4 yards a carry, and he has the talent to accomplish that under a stronger line. Davis is more of a Brian Westbrook type, and I don't think he fits well in this scheme either.

We all know that most of Carr's problems with getting sacked are not his fault, but still, he can be blamed for some of it. He is known for calling bad audibles to get out of passing situations if he lacks confidence. Also, he does not have good poise in the pocket, often scrambling around instead of finding the open man (last year he lead the AFC in rushing yards by a quarterback... Not a good thing for the type of quarterback he is designed to be).

We should be able to easily stop Davis, I predict he finishes with less than 70 yards rushing, and Carr will struggle as well. If he does a good job executing the three step drop aspect of the new offense, then we probably won't get all the sacks we have been expecting, but the interceptions should still be there.

If I were Pendry I would want to try to create something that would allow Carr to regain some confidence like not trying to force the ball in tight or throwing long, with that in mind I don't see the Bengals coming up with as many picks after all it's a fact that turnovers lose games and are hard to overcome even when your own defense is holding up.

If I were Pendry I would want to try to create something that would allow Carr to regain some confidence like not trying to force the ball....

Actually, unless he is just blowing smoke, Pendry seems intent on having Carr run the plays as they are Called, with little or no adjustments at the line of scrimmage for what the defense is doing.

In particularly, he is demanding that Carr do less audiblizing out of something designed to utilize Andre Johnson.

He is also pressing his offense to get their plays off much faster.

Couple those two thing together and it could very well add up to Carr trying to force the ball when the play really isn't there.

I posted a thread with some quotes on the subject yesterday, here is the link if you want to take a look at the quotes.

http://forums.bengalszone.com/index.php?showtopic=7603

I agree with your original post ...

I think that what the Bengal's can expect from the Texan's on Sunday is a focus on basic play meaning nothing fancy just trying to excute the basics like running the ball and the quick dump off pass to keep the pressure off Carr. I don't think they will try many long passing plays because this exposes Carr and so far his O line hasn't given him much time to do so. I have also read somewhere that part of their dissary stems from Carr calling audibles at the line, look for the plays to be called in from the sidelines and they will probably be fairly basic.

But I think that not being able to check off at the line of scrimmage and at the same time being pressed to get the plays off faster could very well result in Carr either trying to force passes or in him throwing the ball away.

But I think that not being able to check off at the line of scrimmage and at the same time being pressed to get the plays off faster could very well result in Carr either trying to force passes or in him throwing the ball away.

Knowing Carr's tendencies, the former is more likely. He will force passes, and that spells doom against this defense. If we get three or more interceptions AGAIN, I won't be the least bit surprised. This game seems a perfect fit for the offense to stay hot and the defense to continue it's takeaway parade.

Knowing Carr's ability to take off, I'd be real surprised if there are 3 interceptions. That is, so long as Carr doesn't force throws because he's told to run the play through no matter what. If the mini-field off the 3 step drop don't open up for him, he won't stick around in the pocket.

The Texans will use what strength they have on offense and try to exploit any advantage they can get, like Andre Johnson against Tory James and Dominack Davis receiving over the middle against Thurman.

Carr this...O-line that...running game the other...puh-LEEZE! Everyone here knows deep down what the Texans real game plan is:

TRY NOT TO LOOK AS PATHETIC IN A LOSS AS THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS DID!!! LEAVE TOWN WITH AT LEAST A BIT OF YOUR SELF RESPECT INTACT!! :lol:

Knowing Carr's ability to take off, I'd be real surprised if there are 3 interceptions. That is, so long as Carr doesn't force throws because he's told to run the play through no matter what. If the mini-field off the 3 step drop don't open up for him, he won't stick around in the pocket.

The Texans will use what strength they have on offense and try to exploit any advantage they can get, like Andre Johnson against Tory James and Dominack Davis receiving over the middle against Thurman.

Yea Carr does just take off a lot and he also will roll out (mostly to his right) which allows him to either throw on the run or try to pick up the yardage himself.

So our defense will have to be prepaired to deal with that but I think that Carr is going to under a hell of a lot of pressure in this game.

Carr this...O-line that...running game the other...puh-LEEZE! Everyone here knows deep down what the Texans real game plan is:

TRY NOT TO LOOK AS PATHETIC IN A LOSS AS THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS DID!!! LEAVE TOWN WITH AT LEAST A BIT OF YOUR SELF RESPECT INTACT!! :lol:

They most cetainly did that.

:cheers:

They most cetainly did that.

:cheers:

Hey...I could just feel it coming.

:rolleyes: