New turf for PBS

kevnz

It seems that the Bengals are gonna replace the field at PBS this offseason. They haven't decided what synthetic option they'll go with, but anything has got to be better than the "grass" that's there now.

The biggest turn around with Mike Brown that hasn't been noticed is that HE is paying it himself.... Is anyone else starting to be convinced that Brown is actually serious?

Whoa! That IS encouraging!! I think that maybe our Mikie has "come of age", or "the light just came on"...however you'd like to term this transformation in character. If he keeps this up, I'm gonna have to start calling him plain 'ol Mike!

The biggest turn around with Mike Brown that hasn't been noticed is that HE is paying it himself.... Is anyone else starting to be convinced that Brown is actually serious?

Whoa! That IS encouraging!! I think that maybe our Mikie has "come of age", or "the light just came on"...however you'd like to term this transformation in character. If he keeps this up, I'm gonna have to start calling him plain 'ol Mike!

Don't get too extreme...Besides, there is a real chance that it's his daughter making him do it...She made him hire Coach Lewis after all.

Actually, I think Brown is extremely serious about winning now...You have to think he would feels guilty for nearly destroying the franchise his father started....I think he actually got serious before 2k2. He told Dick he had to win and make the playoffs....Damn I'm glad Dick couldn't do it....The team would still be stuck in the dark ages.

I still can't figure out why they were unable to get real grass to grow properly there. The practice field looks perfect to me. I'm not crazy about the artificial stuff but hopefully it will be for the best. As long as it isn't that crap they have in New Orleans (I think). It looks like black dust gets kicked up everytime someone is tackled or drags their feet. Is that rubber pellets or what?? I hope we don't get that stuff.

I still can't figure out why they were unable to get real grass to grow properly there.

They probably tried to get Kentucky Bluegrass to grow in Ohio. It just ain't natural, is it? That makes about as much sense as growing Buckeyes south of the Ohio River!! :lol::lol:

The greater cinti area is a really poor place to grow good grass.

That's not entirely true mat. I grew some very good grass there in my high school years...albeit was only visable from the inside of my bedroom closet! :rolleyes:

From what they said over on Bengals.com, they are looking at several different types of artificial surfaces. The one thing they all have in common is that they are suppose to be fast.

Gotta wonder what that is going to mean for a couple of big speedy recievers and a strong armed qb.

Also wonder what it'll mean for a cb that looks like he has a grapefruit where his knee belongs ??????

The greater cinti area is a really poor place to grow good grass.  It gets too cold for good southern varieties and too warm for good northern varieties. 

Maybe there's a reason many stadiums had artificial turf. :o

zoisia blows :angry:

You may be right - I'm no expert on grasses - but the weather in Massachusetts doesn't seem that much different than Cincinnati to me. More snow, fewer thunderstorms, maybe a little colder. Yet they have natural grass at Gillette in Foxborough.

Actually, by the end of the season they mainly had natural dirt spraypainted green. That's why the league made them resod for the playoffs. Even so, I never heard anybody else - not players, not coaches, not fans - complain about the quality of the field. At least nothing like the complaints that the field at PBS has gotten. I find it hard to imagine that somebody down there can't do as well as whoever is doing it up here. In fact, isn't there a large sod farm north of Cincy on I-75? I believe there used to be one, if it's not still there. They seem to be able to grow grass.

I believe it's going to be the kind of synthetic grass blend that is used in Seattle and Detroit. Most of those players say it's not all that different from playing on astro-turf.All though your cleats won't grab into it like the old days of playing on that cemented-carpet,however there isn't a lot of give to it when you fall on it.

there is a real chance that it's his daughter making him do it

Katie, I believe is the next in line to own the team once Mikey steps down. With her recent decisions the past calendar year, this might be a franchise to stick around for awhile now.

That's not entirely true mat. I grew some very good grass there in my high school years...albeit was only visable from the inside of my bedroom closet!

Nomination for Quote of the Year #2. I was laughing pretty hard on that one...

The greater cinti area is a really poor place to grow good grass.

That's not entirely true mat. I grew some very good grass there in my high school years...albeit was only visable from the inside of my bedroom closet! :rolleyes:

I simply mean that good northern varieties wilt in the summer heat and the good southern varieties go dormant (turn brown) as soon as it frosts. I wasn't addressing closet varieties.

You might like some of Carl Spackler's (Bill Murray) special variety:

CARL speaking to Ty (chevy chase): You know i'm making my own grass. This is a hybrid of bluegrass, Kentucky bluegrass, featherbed bent and northern California sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this, is that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on the stuff.

....cannonball..... :lol: