Offense or Defense

BengalszoneBilly

Some folks here might think this is a "no brainer". Unfortunately that's how the Bengals have handled the majority of player aquisitions in the past. With Marvin coming of age in Cincy...where do you guys anticipate Mikes money being utilized at? Free agents? The draft? A combination of the two.

Even though my thoughts on this is the Defensive line needs to be addressed first, I think Marvin is looking at shoreing up the secondary. Then probably the linebackers. Anyone else have any ideas here? ;)

Just my opinion but ....... I think it'll be a combination of the two. Draft picks are good, but as well as we did with them this year, only 1 of them had a real impact, and that was Steinbach. I'm sorry ... make that 2 ... can't forget Abdullah. Palmer, Washington and Weathersby were all pretty much non factors.

Now look at the free agents that we got. How much of an impact they had is debateable, but they all played, and for the most part pretty well.

Coach Lewis has already said that he is looking for a few guys with intensity .... " guys that know you have to play the same whether you're down by 10 points or up by 10 points ". That, to me sounds like he's describing veteran free agents.

I think he'll do pretty much as he said. He'll try to get the best guy available at the 17th spot. Strait looked good ......... so did Poole, but I think he's a bit to the small side for Fraziers liking. Wild card could be a trade for Dillon that would move us up in the draft order.

In the draft, I'm cetain that the first round pick will be on the defensive side. DE, DT, CB or LB. I suppose there's an outside (very outside) chance that if some stud WR fell to 17, and Marvin thought he was the "best player available" they go go that way...but between picking up K-wash last year and extending CJ I don't think they dumping more big bucks into the WR position makes sense.

I would not at all be surprised to see them pick a wideout someplace in the first 3-4 rounds, tho, in an attempt to get something better than TJ.

If we trade/cut Dillon, RB also becomes a first-four-rounds priority. I don't expect any day 1 picks this year for him.

In FA I think they pursue a CB and maybe a guard or center.

On offense they need to look at TE,G and C But only after the MANY holes in the defense are taken care of. I think we will get a corner in FA along with the C and G. In the draft I see a DT in round one and a corner in round two.

As long as Hawkins is not in the top 4 @ corner we should be OK But I look for him to be dumped along with a few others.If we could get a solid DT then Smith becomes a great DE and with another solid corner this Defense is a much improved unit.

can't forget Abdullah. Palmer, Washington and Weathersby were all pretty much non factors.

Most players when drafted into the NFL aren't immediate impact players. All mentioned above will have good careers, Washington Palmer and Abdullah just didn't have the space to play yet. I still think that Washington will have a great career for some reason, I grew up watching Cris Carter and man he reminds of Carter when he was young a lot -- I don't have stats to back that up, just familiarity.

Weathersby has the skills but it concerns me that he couldn't even beat out Hawkins or putting Kevin K at 3rd corner when Burris was hurt.

Personally I believe rounds 1 through 7 go to defense. We'll pick FA for offense. Then in 2005 will be the year to plug the holes left over and the year we bring home the Super Bowl.

can't forget Abdullah. Palmer, Washington and Weathersby were all pretty much non factors.

Most players when drafted into the NFL aren't immediate impact players. All mentioned above will have good careers, Washington Palmer and Abdullah just didn't have the space to play yet. I still think that Washington will have a great career for some reason, I grew up watching Cris Carter and man he reminds of Carter when he was young a lot -- I don't have stats to back that up, just familiarity.

Weathersby has the skills but it concerns me that he couldn't even beat out Hawkins or putting Kevin K at 3rd corner when Burris was hurt.

Personally I believe rounds 1 through 7 go to defense. We'll pick FA for offense. Then in 2005 will be the year to plug the holes left over and the year we bring home the Super Bowl.

All right Kirk ....... what'd you do with my post ?????? I know you saw it cause you quoted it, and now its not showing up on the page ?????

Any way. Grizzly I didn't ignore your post. The point was well taken that the Johnson Jeremi should have been mentioned.

Guess it depends on what you mean by impact. I thought the other 2 had much more of an impact over the course of the season as opposed to contributing on certain plays, which Jeremi definitely did.

Kirks quote about Washington, Palmer, and Weathersby being non factors was me speculating about how much each or any had an impact on the team just by being there.

All right Kirk ....... what'd you do with my post ?????? I know you saw it cause you quoted it, and now its not showing up on the page ?????

Actually I didn't do anything. But that's happened to me before but I just thought I was being dopey and accidently deleted it. But I didn't do anything to it, I got your quote from the top, it's the second post. That's the one I quoted from.

I'm betting Mike and Marvin will use Corey Dillon in a attempt to trade up in the draft, or even more importantly to clear some money off the payroll to free up some breathing room underneath the salary cap. That would of course make the aquisition of a top notch free agent all that much more likely. Which side of the ball that player will line up on is the tough part of this question.

I honestly don't think Mike Brown and Coach Lewis have ANYTHING etched in stone at this point as far as names go. But as positions, I'm almost positive that list has been agreed upon. They are going to wait and see at draft time what the situation is, who's still available, and with their list of probables, work from there.

Let me finish with I have the utmost trust in Marvins decisions, and the direction he goes in both the draft and free agent market. B)

Actually I didn't do anything. But that's happened to me before but I just thought I was being dopey and accidently deleted it. But I didn't do anything to it, I got your quote from the top, it's the second post. That's the one I quoted from.

:blink: Doh !!

I'm betting Mike and Marvin will use Corey Dillon in a attempt to trade up in the draft...

Does anyone see us tradingCorey and ending up with (1) a higher first or second round pick or (2) getting multiple first round picks? I would love to see the Bengals copy what New England has done in stockpiling multiple future first-round picks. It gives you the flexibility to trade up or down in future years depending on your situation. Is it too late to get 8 draft picks for Akili Smith? :unsure:

QUOTE (billybroome @ Jan 10 2004, 01:16 PM)

I'm betting Mike and Marvin will use Corey Dillon in a attempt to trade up in the draft...

Does anyone see us tradingCorey and ending up with (1) a higher first or second round pick or (2) getting multiple first round picks? I would love to see the Bengals copy what New England has done in stockpiling multiple future first-round picks. It gives you the flexibility to trade up or down in future years depending on your situation. Is it too late to get 8 draft picks for Akili Smith? 

I don't see Dillon being traded. Who in the hell would want him? I think if he does get traded, it would be before week 10 during the '04 season. But I can see the Bengals taking the hit on the cap for releasing Dillon.

But we first must see what happens with Rudi, he is after all a restricted free agent and if someone puts up a ridiculous offer that the Bengals can't match, then having Corey on the team must be a priority until we pick up someone else.

I don't see Dillon being traded.  Who in the hell would want him?

Josh,

Not all teams will see Corey as we see Corey. I'm pretty sure there are some teams out there that see him as a running back with better than average skills. (Which is honestly what he is.) If Mike makes an attractive offer, and their needs in the offensive backfield are bad enough, there's going to be someone desperate enough to deal for Mr. Dillon.

Or stupid enough. Remember teams like Arizona trading for a guy like Emmit Smith? That deal makes Corey Dillon look down right attractive! :lol:

As I've said elsewhere, someone will be interested enough in CD to offer something. He's proven, and his $3 million salary (as someone else pointed out) is manageable. The real question is, will the "something" offered meet the Bengals' expectations?

I think the Bengals will want *at least* a second round pick. They won't get that this year. However, they may be able to get a day 2 pick this year (say a 4-5 rounder) plus a conditional pick in '05 that tops out in the second.

Alternatively, they could trade him for another player, but that brings two teams' caps into the picture and probably doesn't work.

The coaching staff handled Weathersby with kid gloves this year to help him with his confidence and keep him healthy. Marvin all but singled him out in his end of the year press conference as one of the players that will need to step up to the plate .

I truly feel that Cincy will draft either a defensive lineman or a linebacker in round 1, Round 2 i say we take Corey Webster from L.S.U. he's big 6-1 210, has tons of speed and plays with very good technique.. kind of overshadowed on that defense with all those good d-lineman.

I truly feel that Cincy will draft either a defensive lineman or a linebacker in round 1...

Did anyone see Coach Frazier's interview in which he said they are considering moving Hardy back to outside LB? I'm guessing that they may draft a MLB early. I don't know if A. Ross is enough at that position especially with his injury.

Did anyone see Coach Frazier's interview in which he said they are considering moving Hardy back to outside LB? I'm guessing that they may draft a MLB early.

...which brings us back to Jonathan Vilma. I told y'all earlier that he keeps falling out every time I shake that draft Yatzee cup :lol: .

Note that I'm definitely *not* pimping Vilma, at least not yet. If he was 20 lbs. heavier, it'd be a different story, but whether he's got the size to do the job at "Mike" is a legit issue. No one, however, can question his speed (and Marvin and Leslie both like that speed thing), smarts, intensity, and flat-out hard hits.

Majority of draft sites think he's a second-rounder; they like the OLBs like Williams in the first. But a few see him as first-round material, and those that do see him going in the top 20. Which means if Marvin's grading like those latter sites are...he'd surely be BPA at 17.

I kind of agree, pick up a middle linebacker who has potential all over the wall (not specificially talking about Vilma) but that will help us. Personally, I think the draft tends to overrate itself. Just b/c you're a first or second rounder doesn't mean instant or even any success. I think we can find quality guys (not the best in the nation) to fill our needs in the secondary, it all doesn't have to happen in the first 2 or 3 rounds.

i keep seening a couple diffrent names Gamble and Williams (all over), Udeze, Randy Starks, Will Smith, Sometimes even Tommy Harris, Vilma, and Dansby all defensive guys, so yeah just thought i might throw that out there

Hi new to the forum, but have read a lot of posts from this website before. I think the Bengals should not go after Pool, Strait, or Webster. I know they will probably get a FA corner, someone like Plummer from SF. A Cincinnati native and we wont have to break the bank to pick him up. Looking at the draft I like going with LB first round or Corner. Dansby or Gamble could be there for the Bengals to select. I also wouldn't mind if they used this pick to draft someone like Vernon Carey that can eventually replace Willie Anderson because he can play both G and Tackle. Second round should be devoted to drafting Dtackle. Best available maybe someon like Lavalais from LSU. Third round should be used to draft S or oline if not selected earlier. Schwiegert from Purdue could be a possibility. Sorry for spelling his name. It is not right. After that draft best athlete available. Dillon will yield a 2nd round pick next year, but I think we could use him to move up in the draft, but I don't know why the Bengals need to do that. I like their position in the draft and if anything they should move down to pick up more draft picks. Just my thoughts, and I know we will have our s**T together next season. Hopefully they start Palmer and tell John to go practice his preaching.

B

Dansby will be a monster if selected first round in the draft at 17. 6-5 235 and has a lot of room to put on weight. This guy will help in coverage situations. and is a hard hitter. Maybe drafting a big corner like Joey Thomas out of Montana State Univ. somewhere in the middle of the draft? He is a big corner around 6-2 size and weighs 190lbs. This guy was a huge player maker from a small school that could be major player for the Bengals.

B

Just my thoughts, and I know we will have our s**T together next season. Hopefully they start Palmer and tell John to go practice his preaching.

B

Hey! I like this new guy already! Welcome to the forum CJ. You certainly pack alot of good data! :)