The Other Teams in the AFC North

kevnz

Well now the season has come and gone and the Bengals are on the rise it's probably a good idea to look at the other teams in the division.

The Browns....The Browns have got lot's of questions on offense. Who's the QB? Who's the running Back (I like Suggs and all cause he's a Hokie, but come on, the Bengals run D sucked all year) This team has made some bad draft decisions since they've been reborn and it's really starting to burn them...I don't see them having a big bounce back season.

The Steelers....A lot of talent at WR, but like Cleveland big question marks at QB and RB. The Steelers have yet to be able to develop a QB during Cohwer's time their. I see them finally drafting a QB somewhere between rounds 1-3 and either having Maddox or Batch keep the seat warm for him. But the even bigger problem is at the Running Back where Amos Z is an alright 3rd down back, but sucks as a starter, Bettis won't be with this team so they've got a problem cause Cohwer likes to run the Ball. There other big hole is at CB...You just can never predict where the Steelers are gonna be at.

The Ravens....The Ravens biggest question mark is at the QB postion. Does Pillick go with yet another different opening day QB and keep Wright and throw away the extra draft picks he gave away for Boeller? Has he shot the confidence of another QB when he didn't give the starting job back to Boeller when he was healthy? It's not like Wright lit anybody (except the Seahawks) up...For that matter what if they lose Wright cause he is a FA, and Boeller doesn't progress or has lost his confidence? The other real hole they have is at WR. Their most consistant reciever was their Tight End and it's not like that is gonna keep defenses up late at night. If their defense stays intact and it should then they are all but assured of finishing at least 8-8...But there is talk that their defensive coordinator could get a head coaching job and that would be a bit of a setback.

My interpretation:

Browns - They will not be serious contenders for awhile. Poor draft picks helped contribute to this, they are after all, the Browns.

Steelers - They need a youth movement, bad! Their offensive guys are aging and the wide receivers are potentially great players, but as long as over rated and over hyped Tommy Maddox sticks around then the Pittsburgh offense will be one passer short of winning.

Ravens - I can never anticipate this team; when I count them out they come alive and win the division. QB-wise, I like Boller and think he's the future of Balt. Lets think for a second, Ravens QB isn't really a vital position in terms of overall objective. They've proven it once and I believe they can do it again, provided the defense stays together and Jamal has a season close to what he did this year.

RUMORMILL - I hear that TO may be making an appearance in the Ravens camp, lets hope this is not true.

The Ravens going after a wideout like Owens is only to be expected. They have something like $20 million is cap space and need a big threat at WR to help open up running room for Jamal. But they now have a pretty big question at QB. I think it goes back to Boller, but I remain unsold on him as a big-league QB. They also need some o-line help. Their D is obviously in good shape, they'll no doubt lock up McAllister (with the tag if they have to). One thing to keep an eye on -- tho it's unlikely to affect them in the next year or two -- is the tick-tick-tick of Father Time. Ray-Ray will be celebrating his 29th in May-May and Boulware will hit the big 3-0 in December. ottom line is, tho, they'll be the team to beat in the AFCN come next season.

The Browns are a mess. Gerard Warren and Courtney Brown shoulder the lion's share of the blame, IMHO. These guys have performed nowhere near their draft positions. Brown can't stay healthy, and Warren's promises that he wasn't going to party all night any more didn't help. Their LBs and secondary are average, their o-line stinks (Faine excepted) even when everyone's heathy, they cut Kevin Johnson and word is Dennis Northcutt (FA this year) won't be back, and they've had more RBs since their revival than we've had QBs since our last Super Bowl! And who knows which way they'll jump at QB, or OC? What a train wreck. Time to rebuild here.

The Steelers need to find a running back and improve their o-line (namely but getting Marvel Smith back where he belongs), and find a decent vet for their secondary, and I think they'll be OK...but just OK. They need a Q and will likely draft one this year, and then have Maddox or Batch do a Kitna imitation and keep the seat warm. But I don't think 8-10 wins is out of the question for Pitt next year.

Of course, there's lots of offseason to go...

One thing to keep an eye on -- tho it's unlikely to affect them in the next year or two -- is the tick-tick-tick of Father Time. Ray-Ray will be celebrating his 29th in May-May and Boulware will hit the big 3-0 in December. ottom line is, tho, they'll be the team to beat in the AFCN come next season.

I've been asking myself this ever since I saw Eddie George pancake him last weekend. :D

Unfortunately 85-90% of rayray is bettern than most LB's. So, barring injury, rarray should have at least another 5 years in the tank.

Pitts needs a youth movement. The fans I've talked to aren't very optimistic about next year.

Prediction:

The next few AFCN winners will be our beloved bengals or those pesky ravens.

Prediction:

The next few AFCN winners will be our beloved bengals or those pesky ravens.

I concur with mat here, with the Steelers in third, and the Brownies continuing to inhabit the cellar. I'm sure that ain't gonna be breakin' any hearts around here! :P

I think it will be alot like this year again. All four teams closely bunched until the end of the year.

For the Bengals, with a tough schedule on paper it may be hard to improve on 8-8. However with the balanced schedule we all play 14 of the same teams. Then the Ravens get Indy and KC while we get Tennessee and Denver. So they have no advantage on us there. The playoff run was the first for alot of guys and I think that may have gotten to some of them. But having gone through it once will help motivate and give them confidence during the offseason as well as the tight games next season.

Unless the Ravens can pass more and become more balanced they will be very predictable. However with that O-line, they will still run people over. I am guessing that they will try to push Boller but they do have Wright who will get better too. The D will be good again but if they lose McAlister that will hurt. Plus they are all about the same age so they need to replenish with younger guys.

My take and prediction for next year before any off-season moves. From bottom to top:

4. Browns - as has been well pointed out, no clue where they want to go nor how they want to get there. Stocked with underachieving high first round picks, and based on how poorly their Front office works, these poors guys look five years away from competing. (4-12?)

3. Steelers - For some reason, everyone (the media) thinks this was the team to beat in the AFC North/Central for the last decade. Not quite. D was always good, now flawed. The offense now no longer compliments the style of D they play. Unless they import our front office, they make noise next year, but not much more. I see a replay of this year. They really do need to draft QB, but with their pass first offense, a new signal caller will set them back even more. (6-10)

2. Bengals - This is a tough one. The smart thing for Marvin to do would be to bring in guys he wants, and start Palmer. On paper that looks like a step back, but as Marvin learned many of the great coaching tricks from Billick, this team will perform above expectations again, and end up with a wild card. (10-6?)

1. Ravens - Boller is the answer at QB. His confidence isn't in question. We stuck with Wright not because he was clearly superior, but because it would have taken a game for Boller to get back up to speed, and that's a game one can't afford while trying to build up momentum for the playoffs. Age is not a factor. Every one of the 8 Pro-Bowlers on this team is under thirty. Ray will be good for a long, long time, and I expect he'll retire when he can no longer dominate. The defense will be more consistent than this year and the offense more balanced. Ravens take the Division despite pesky bengals. (12-4?)

Of course, in the "Not For Long", anything can happen. It's possible this list could be upside down next year, but this is how it looks right now.

(Now, if we get TO, it's over, 16-0!! :D )

Kirk: Where did you hear this rumor??? Please give me reason for hope!!!

I thought this to be prevalent. I would keep your eyes on this Baltimoreites, I really think he'll join up there. I heard it multiple times from sidenotes of Mort, newspapers and blog sites. Keep in mind thougth, he's just considering talking to the team, not joining. I hope he stays in the NFC personally.

I am still depressed.........................

Yea, I would be too if this were my last season as division champs, Bengals will rise. :P

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2004/01/07/ben1nte.html

Today's Enquirer had an article that said the Bengals are about $9M below the cap, and the Ravens are $24M below. That sounds like an awful big number. The Browns are $1.3M below and the Steelers are $2.67M over. Tennessee is the worst team at $16.4M over.