Jim Fassel

HoosierCat

OK, McGinnis got the axe in AZ and Fassel is the guy most people think would get the job...but if he doesn't, am I the only person who think he'd make a good fit in Cincy?

His history is offense, and he runs the same type of game that Brat's installed: ball control behind a power RB combined with shots downfield. I've liked him up here with the Giants and despite their bad showing this year the team respects him and he leaves with an overall winning record, including a Super Bowl appearance. And he's got more cajones (playcalling-wise) in his left pinky than Brat's got in his whole body.

But maybe I'm nuts. Comments?

Fassel has already made it clear that he wants a head coaching job or nothing. He doesn't feel he should take a step backwards and become a coordinator. We were fantasizing about the same thing here in Baltimore.

do you guys think marvin lewis will stay in cincinnati and build a winning program here for years to come, or do you think he'll use the bengals as a stepping stone to a more prominent program, like the cowboys (parcells won't be there forever) or baltimore (you know, with all that whining over the officiating, Coach Billick's going to blow an artery)... but seriously, do coaches in the NFL look at the Bengals as a legitimate place to grow as a coach and prosper, or a place where they can build their resume until a "better" job comes along. I like Marvin Lewis. I think he's a good fit in Cincy. But he needs to get another offensive coordinator. that guy blows chunks.

Fassel has already made it clear that he wants a head coaching job or nothing. He doesn't feel he should take a step backwards and become a coordinator. We were fantasizing about the same thing here in Baltimore.

I wouldn't expect Fassel to say anything less. But the bottom line is that there are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the whole wide world, and so far only 3 of them are open (to him). And there's a bucket-load of candidates. If it should happen that the Bears, Bills, and Cards go in different directions...what then? A college job? No less a step down than NFL OC, IMHO.

Both the Bengals and Ravens would be good fits. The Bengals a bit more so, I think, if only because there are some obvious similarities between Carson Palmer and Kerry Collins. But Marvin Lewis has also reportedly said his coachig staff will return intact in '04, so there's that, too. Time will tell...

do you guys think marvin lewis will stay in cincinnati and build a winning program here for years to come, or do you think he'll use the bengals as a stepping stone to a more prominent program, like the cowboys (parcells won't be there forever) or baltimore (you know, with all that whining over the officiating, Coach Billick's going to blow an artery)... but seriously, do coaches in the NFL look at the Bengals as a legitimate place to grow as a coach and prosper, or a place where they can build their resume until a "better" job comes along. I like Marvin Lewis. I think he's a good fit in Cincy.

Very valid points. While in my blissful and euphoric love of peace, I'd see Marvin here until my days of growing old has completed. I hope Marvin stays, we love him and I think he likes being here (after all of the chocolates I've delivered to his house, he better!). But turning around the Cincinnati Bengals is one that commands respect, durability and a proven rebuilding plan. Inasmuch as I'd love to see Marvin stay here, is that feasible? I'm not sure. In todays NFL, I could see Mike Brown firing him before his contract expires, afterall, there is a lot expected from this first year coach in Cincinnati and well, the main leader is still the author to Helplessism, which is yet to complete.

Well, Id love to have Fassell, but I dont see it coming. First of all, who says Brat gets canned? I dont think that happens. The only NFL system Carson knows is the current one and even though it has holes, I dont want him to have to start over again. My two cents....

True, but if you were going to make a change at OC, now would be the time to do it and Zampese would be the obvious choice.

Kirkendall is right...Fluck Fassel, Zampese is a way better choice! But this conversation a moot point. Like someone said earlier, Marvin says the coaching staff is set for '04.

God!! I can't believe we lost to the Browns, of all teams, and now we have to endure the whole off season at 8-8!! 9-7 was totally within our grasp, even without a playoff berth. I can't believe it. I'm still in denial, and I ain't talkin' about that river in Egypt!

At least my brother Jim, who still lives in my old home town in Northern Kentucky (Hebron), hooked me up with the official Bengals hat and T-Shirt for Christmas so I have something worthwhile to wear out here in Arizona! :lol:

Billy - Too bad you have to wait eight years before the Bengals go back out there, or some astronomical date like that.

God!! I can't believe we lost to the Browns, of all teams, and now we have to endure the whole off season at 8-8!! 9-7 was totally within our grasp, even without a playoff berth. I can't believe it. I'm still in denial, and I ain't talkin' about that river in Egypt!

We're going to have at least two chips on our shoulders playing the Oranges version -2 next season.

Billy - Too bad you have to wait eight years before the Bengals go back out there, or some astronomical date like that.

Oh by the way, thanks for the update Josh. My depression just wasn't quite deep enough until you tossed that bone in the yard! :rolleyes:

Billy - we'll have to hit the road. Maybe we can catch them in San Diego or Denver or Dallas before the next 8 years. Or better yet, I think just go home and hang with our Bengal family at PBS.

Yo Boobie...that sounds like the plan! This time next year. All aboard the Arizona to Cincy playoff express! B)