THANKS KITNA, DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE A*

KYBENGALFAN

Kitna did an admirable job up until the second Ravens game, then he just laid an EGG. I don't care to have him back next year because he might beat out Carson Palmer for the job and here we go again. We need to throw in Carson Palmer from Game 1 and let him take his lumps, like Boller for the Ravens or, I guess, Couch for the Browns. UGH.. HOW THE HELL DO THE BENGALS LOST AT HOME TO THE BROWNS!!!!! GOD DARN IT... Kitna is gone in my book and Carson Palmer is in.. Rudi JOhnson and a good running back in the draft, maybe Michael The Burner Turner, from Northern Illinois University, my alma mater, are IN and Corey Dillon, I don't want to play here anymore, is OUT... Get the bad apples and bad eggs out of here... It's time to CLEAN HOUSE and get the Marvin Lewis era underway in CINCY... WHO DEY !!!

Kitna did an admirable job up until the second Ravens game, then he just laid an EGG.

To put the failures on offense, while you're excluding his good day in SF, all on Kitna is incredibly narrow minded. You forget that plays called by Bratkowski were horrible, they all but forgot the run. Or the makeshift offensive line with Levi going through injuries, O'Dwyer on the IR, and Rehberg filling in where needed. Or the game Warrick was out, or the defenses inability to allow the offense to get things rolling (because they give up 380-500 yards a game).

We need to throw in Carson Palmer from Game 1 and let him take his lumps

KITNA is the MAIN reason why were are 8-8. His TD pass to Schobel in Pittsburgh II, his four TDs in San Diego, 3 TDs in Baltimore I and Cleveland I. His QB rating is better than Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger, Donovon McNabb. Has more passing yards than Culpepper, Brooks, Favre, McNair.

If it wasn't for Kitna, the Bengals could have been 4-12 and we'd be begging for an 8-8 season in 2004.

I still believe it's his job to lose. He not only played admirable, but he's the team MVP, not Chad. However, I believe if Palmer is the starter next season, then you annouce it soon so that he'll have 7 months to prepare for the task.

You however completely ignored the main instigator of why the Bengals failed to get to the playoffs, the defense. When you ranked 29th in points allowed and 27th total yards allowed, this team will not get anyway.

KITNA is the MAIN reason why were are 8-8.

I wouldn't pin everything on Kitna, nor call him the "main" reason anything happened, but yes, he played a role in 8 wins...and 8 losses.

In 8 wins, he tossed a sterling 20 TDs to just 1 INT; in 8 losses 14 INTs to just 6 TDs. He had 7 games in which his QB rating was in triple digits (betwen 102 and 130) and 9 games in which his rating averaged a pitiful 68.3.

Can Carson Palmer do better? Than what? The 68 and 2-1 INTs-to-TDs? I should bloody well hope so. The 100+ games and 20 to 1 TD/INT ratio? Probably not -- at least not right away. But Carson has to go sooner or later, and there's nothing in Kit's numbers that cements him in the No. 1 slot. Bring on the competition, and may the best QB win.

I agree - bring on the competition. I saw three games this year: AZ in person, StL & Cleveland on TV. All three loses, all three Kitna didn't show up. What the hell was that thing at the end of the first half? He looked like Jake Plummer during his AZ days. Kitna helped this team this year, but I doubt he's going to take us all the way.

Open it up. Let Palmer compete. If Kitna wins, fine. But if Palmer wins, why not play him?

KITNA is the MAIN reason why were are 8-8.

I wouldn't pin everything on Kitna, nor call him the "main" reason anything happened, but yes, he played a role in 8 wins...and 8 losses.

In 8 wins, he tossed a sterling 20 TDs to just 1 INT; in 8 losses 14 INTs to just 6 TDs. He had 7 games in which his QB rating was in triple digits (betwen 102 and 130) and 9 games in which his rating averaged a pitiful 68.3.

Can Carson Palmer do better? Than what? The 68 and 2-1 INTs-to-TDs? I should bloody well hope so. The 100+ games and 20 to 1 TD/INT ratio? Probably not -- at least not right away. But Carson has to go sooner or later, and there's nothing in Kit's numbers that cements him in the No. 1 slot. Bring on the competition, and may the best QB win.

Kitna " reverts to form " when the O line lets him down. Before busting my butt, check how many sacks he had, how many tipped balls etc.

I also know that Jones and Steinbach were hurt for the last 2 games, but you need to have enough depth so the line doesn't go to hell when a couple of guys go down.

Having said that, I do have to agree that Palmer would most likely be less vulnerable due to his size and probably better ability to avoid the rush. That would be an added dimension that Kitna ( as much as I like him ) doesn't have.

Kitna " reverts to form " when the O line lets him down. Before busting my butt, check how many sacks he had, how many tipped balls etc.

I also know that Jones and Steinbach were hurt for the last 2 games, but you need to have enough depth so the line doesn't go to hell when a couple of guys go down.

That's the big reason I shy away from saying Kitna is the "main" reason the Bengals won or lost anything. Win or lose, it's usually a team effort. And I agree, the o-line needs work, tho I think that the "depth" is already playing in some spots, and we need some starters!

But the bottom line is that this is going to happen over the course of a season. Guys are gonna get hurt, lineups are going to get shuffled, and the QB needs to be able to still get the job done even when conditions aren't optimal. Kit, demonstrably, can't do that; Palmer -- as you note -- brings dimensions that he doesn't, and so may be able to (and if he can't...well...it isn't as if we lost anything!). The *real* question is, can Palmer do as well as Kit when the o-line and offense *are* intact and performing (i.e. can he *not* kill us with dumb mistakes). That's what we need to find out...and there's only one way to do it.

The *real* question is, can Palmer do as well as Kit when the o-line and offense *are* intact and performing (i.e. can he *not* kill us with dumb mistakes). That's what we need to find out...and there's only one way to do it.

Good points about some of the " depth " being in starting positions. Can't get rid of everybody all at once though. I'm sure we'll have a few new guys next year as well.

As for Palmer. Literally everybody on the team says he's the real deal. The guy that should be his biggest critic ( Kitna ) says he's phenomenol. If you remember, in pre - season CJ was downright gloating about what the receivers were going to be able to do with Palmer. Time will tell whether they're right or not, but in the mean time, I'm inclined to take their word for it.