New year wish/hope list

richmond_mat

Like all of you I watched our beloved bengles bungle in disgust today. Since I felt this coming on (notice I made no prediction this week), my transition to the off season is in gear. PBR is easing the pain. (Anyone remember the Jack Snodgrass banners over the stadium?)

Anyway, I thought we could start a new year's wish list. Everyone can add or subtract what they like. Perhaps captian kirk can start a mock lineup for 2004. In any event here are some things I'd like to see.

A shut down corner.

Some beef and speed for the defense.

Better play calling, especially on offense.

A third string qb that can play special teams and play some receiver.

Better punting.

Better play calling, especially on offense.

Mikey stuck Lewis with Brat, Lewis gave Brat plenty of rope, and Brat finally hung himself (IMHO) today. CD was averaging what, 6+ yards a carry in the first half? Where'd he go? Give him a jelly doughnut laced with prozac and get his bipolar arse on the field! No, no, instead we're going to lob rainbows to CJ...hey, they won't be expecting that, right?

As for the rest, the key is admitting that the Kevin Hardy experiment failed. He's no MLB. Find a big, run-stuffing MLB and put him back outside. Help him by drafting a big 350-lb. DT to put in Oliver "defensive taunting, face mask, what the hell's next?" Gibson's place. And give up whatever draft picks it take to the Skins for Champ Bailey.

i think dillon not hitting the 2 or 4 hole before half may be why he disappeared.

1. shut down corner.

2. a fire under justin smith's ass

3. a solid linebacker

4. 2 or 3 offensive linemen

5. some-one of value in the corey dillon trade, better then a release

6. better suppoting fans. i have never ever sat thru games where the fans attitudues and support TURNS on every play

7. a chasity belt for CJ's mouth that can't be opened until the end of the season.

CJ not worrying so much about how to celebrate but worrying more about how to get there. Missed his celebration today. According to TV announcers he had a steelers terrible towel he was going to wave. HEY CJ, we need to win the game first before worrying about the steelers.

A shut down corner. Possibly Gamble or even Sean Taylor if by any freak chance he would be there.

More quality fans who don't give up on their team. Loyalty in a great trait.

Perhaps captian kirk can start a mock lineup for 2004.

At least I get all of the chicks! :P

In order of importance:

1. Fire Brat and replace with Zampese (Palmer's QB coach)

2. Dump CD's contract (trade or release, doesn't matter, we need the money for a shutdown CB and it's only fair to him).

3. Draft a corner, DL, OL

4. Announce Palmer is the starter NOW so he'll have 7 months to prepare!

By position:

QB - Draft a 7th round QB for the 3rd stringer, we don't need Matthews.

RB - Dump Bennett (don't expensive for 3rd down back) draft a 2-3 round RB.

FB - Love Johnson, do nothing.

WR - Nothing.

TE - Dump all three, draft a high prospect.

OL - Dump Goff and O'Dwyer, tap the FA market -- if nothing, then draft.

DT - Get rid of everyone. I love Gibson, Thornton and Williams, but today prove they are doing about nothing for us.

DE - Tap FA. Smith has played well against the rush, but needs better pass rushing.

OLB - Dump Ross and start Abullah (sp?)

MLB - Tough one. I wasn't impressed with Hardy, but he wasn't given any help up the middle with poor DL play.

CB - Dump everyone, including James. Start from scratch if possible.

S - Keep Beckett, dump everyone else. Beckett is good for run support, but need some decent coverage safties to help the cornerbacks.

P - Dump Richardson.

I will echo what everyone is saying about a shut down corner. I think this has to be a free agent and not a draft pick, we dont have time to wait for one to develop. I also would love to see a big run stopper on the D-line. OG and the boys need help!

Also, thanks to Kevin Hardy on a solid year, but, youre outta here man. You are the worst cover LB I can remember and your time in the league is up. We need another LB.....

And finally, some depth at Offensive line.

1. Fire Brat and replace with Zampese (Palmer's QB coach)

Fire Brat, yes. Zampese? I dunno. The upside is minimal change for Palmer to deal with, the downside is...minimal change.

2. Dump CD's contract (trade or release, doesn't matter, we need the money for a shutdown CB and it's only fair to him).

I don't think CD saves us any significant amount of money. We might get a bit if we push the move off until after June 1 but then we take a bigger hit in '05.

3. Draft a corner, DL, OL

Agree with corner, DT. Fill in the o-line through free agency and draft a good MLB someplace instead. Move Hardy back outside.

4. Announce Palmer is the starter NOW so he'll have 7 months to prepare!

Prepare what? What can he do in March as starter that he can't do as No. 2? There's a case to be made for skipping a QB competition and naming him starter right at the beginning of training camp. That's where it might make a difference, not now.

By position:

QB - Draft a 7th round QB for the 3rd stringer, we don't need Matthews.

Works for me.

RB - Dump Bennett (don't expensive for 3rd down back) draft a 2-3 round RB.

Waitaminnit. First you say draft corner, DT, OL, now we're plugging in a first-day RB? Bennet stays pending what happens with Corey and Watson.

FB - Love Johnson, do nothing.

WR - Nothing.

TE - Dump all three, draft a high prospect.

With ya on FB. On WR, it's hard to believe there isn't someone better than TJ out there. On TE I hang on to Kelley and Schobel (and again, how many high draft picks are do you expect to have?)

OL - Dump Goff and O'Dwyer, tap the FA market -- if nothing, then draft.

As I said elsewhere I'd also be looking at center. I think that the draft is *not* an option here. We need vets to protect Palmer.

DT - Get rid of everyone.  I love Gibson, Thornton and Williams, but today prove they are doing about nothing for us.

Nice idea, but is as unrealistic as dumping every corner. Gibson, I think, is done, Thornton stays. Williams? Flip a coin.

DE - Tap FA.  Smith has played well against the rush, but needs better pass rushing.

He's having pass rush issues because a) he draws constant double-teams, and B) half the time he's being dropped into coverage. Get a real MLB, put Hardy on the outside and let him cover, and let Smith sic the QB.

OLB - Dump Ross and start Abullah (sp?)

MLB - Tough one.  I wasn't impressed with Hardy, but he wasn't given any help up the middle with poor DL play.

CB - Dump everyone, including James.  Start from scratch if possible.

S - Keep Beckett, dump everyone else.  Beckett is good for run support, but need some decent coverage safties to help the cornerbacks.

P - Dump Richardson.

Dumping Ross doesn't bug me, I with ya on Richardson, I want Beckett back too. We're going to have to keep some of our secondary, however. I hang on to Weathersby, Roberts, James, and Roman, minimum. Maybe move Burris to safety?

Good food for thought, kirk.

Dump Burris. Roman , Kaesviharn,

keep Myles and Roberts for Special teams...

Hawkins... flip a coin .

Tony williams.. flip a coin.. .. nah what the heck.. bus tickets..!!

Oliver gibson... Uhaul... here's my credit card number..i'll pay to move his sorry a$$

Steele.....What exactly does he do to warrant a roster spot.. sure he made some good plays against the run in relief.. but if he doesn't have enough talent and athleticism to beat out gibson and williams... send him back to michigan.

Odwyer....... put him in a catapault.... get an axe.. and cut the friggin' rope.

Braham gets one more year.. (unless draft or free-agency take care of him).

Goff... gets one more year.. etc.. etc.. etc..

Reggie Kelly.. (gun loading sound).... BOOOM...

Tony Stewart ( shotgun loading sound)......KA- BOOOOM....

Matt Schobel..?????? one more year.. why not.. and buy him a "total gym" so he'll stay healthy during the off season...

Shane Mathews.. Keep ( unless 7th rounder is found)...

Kitna .. better start restructuring your contract buddy.... I honestly don't know how much longer you're an nfl player, let alone a Bengal...

Kevin Hardy.. enjoy playing over the tight end ......

Adrian Ross.. Chances are you'll be helping Dillon pack... then someones gonna say... "can you step into Coaches' office.. oh and bring your playbook...

and last but certainly not least.......

T.J. HOUSHMANZADEH........YOU ARE TO WIDE RECIEVERS WHAT BARBARA STREISAND WAS TO JEWISH MEN...

A FRAUD !!....

QB-It's amazing how people were all talking about Kitna getting consideration for League MVP and after Sunday's loss were ready to move him out. I like Jon but I think they have to try to push Palmer to take over. Jon has some limitations.

RB-See ya Corey. Thanks for the good times but I am tired of your mouth and watching you get stuffed at the goal line or lose yardage on a sweep-right.

Sign Rudi now and get a smaller, quicker back to compliment him. I've had my ups and downs with Bennett...just when I'm ready to send him packing, he does something good.

WR-Serious depth there which is good. I still can't figure out the story with TJ for this year. IR would have been a good idea since he didn't contribute at all.

TE-It was obvious that Schoebel is the go-to guy here. I was disappointed in Kelly. I expected more production out of him.

OL-Steinbach is an obvious cornerstone. I still have mixed feeling about Levi though. Even before the injury, it seemed like teams got a lot of pressure from that side. Braham and Goff played well and Willie is finally getting the recognition he deserves. Perhaps a FA pickup at G or C or draft someone for the future there. I did hear a great stat though that the starting five players are all third rounders or higher. When's the last time a Bengals O-line could say that?

DL-Always in the neighborhood but never at the right house. How many times did we see a good pass rush but the QB step up and make a play. Especially on third down. I don't know if it was the scheme or the personnel but they needed more pressure up the middle to collapse the pocket. A great pass rush makes up for an average secondary. Maybe blitz more rather than rush four only. A big run stuffer would be a big pickup.

LB-Hardy made plays but never seemed to affect the outcome of the game that much. Simmons looked good at times on the outside. I was glad to see him get out of Takeo's shadow. I like Ross but there was a dropoff with him compared to Hardy and Simmons. Obviously with the injury they need to fill that spot.

DB-James was a nice pickup and it was obvious that teams stayed away from him especially when Burris was out and Artrell was in. Beckett was a good player also. I was disappointed that they didn't seem to play as much close coverage like I thought they were supposed to in this defense. Champ Bailey sure would look good back there.

P-Keep Richardson if you are looking for stablilty. At least you know what you get with him. We don't need any head-case college kids coming in and trying to work out the kinks. By the way did Travis Dorsch ever get picked up?

PK-I think Graham should have been given serious consideration for team MVP. He was so steady and his misses where long ones. He solidified a troubling position. However, the kickoffs are still too short.

Coaching-I would keep Bratkowski. Do you really want to start with a new playbook when you have invested so much in Palmer? Not only would he have to start over but so would the rest of the O-team. I give him this year. How many times did Jon underthrow someone or did they try to pacify Corey after Rudi had established himself? That's not Brat's fault.

Coach Lewis will also be here from the end of the season on. Think of what he did in the last 11 months. Weed out a few more of the bitchers and underachievers. The rookie mistakes will be corrected too. I see us competing again for the AFC North title and beyond.

Lorenzo Neal and Takeo had their bags packed for home last weekend. At least we didn't. Thanks for the ride guys.