Who is our eight man in the box.

Spain

Ok bengaldom I have a ? after watching are SS safetys just miss takle after takle. I was wondering if M williams shouldnt be the eigth man in the box on running downs. He clearly is the only safety we have that can do it. Herring isnt horrible in coverage so maybe its time for one more Defensive change. Moving Williams to strong.IMHO -this would help this unit what do you think?

Herring and Herana-Daze Jones are our only safeties that are over 200lbs. I don't see Jones being our guys in the box, although Hobson does seem to think he'll make the roster.

Williams is much much better in coverage than pretty much any of our safeties, so I don't see him playing strong. He is a FS through and through.

Based on Herrings interview on bengals.com with Hobson right before the draft, it seems like he has been preparing all offseason to be in the box and take on big RB's, so look for Herring to be that man, as well as a guy who can drop into coverage... because ML loves the hybrid.

I am one of the biggest Madieu fans on this board, and I don't really think he will end up moving to strong safety. He is really coming into his own as one of the best young safeties in the league and moving him to strong would seem to delay his progress. I think that he is our best safety against the run right now, but I also think that he is our best by far against the pass. I would really like to see Reg Myles or the Dazing Harena step up, but I don't really think that those guys are going to make an impact on any starting situation for a awhile, especially Jones. I think that Herring's going to do fine for now.

Agreed. Hehad a bad season last year because he was playing out of position. He'll be more prepared this year, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Anthony Mitchell SS. Drafted by ML in Washington, he is 2nd team, behind Herring, but Marvin loves him. Madieu is a free safety.

Herring hardly played last year. If at all during the regular season. He played on 2 Super Bowl teams with Baltimore and St. Louis. Why would you think he would be a liability here? If he can play near what he did for those teams, he is not a liability.

Boomerang, you are wrong here and the insiders.

Herring hardly played last year. If at all during the regular season. He played on 2 Super Bowl teams with Baltimore and St. Louis. Why would you think he would be a liability here? If he can play near what he did for those teams, he is not a liability.

Agreed... I don't think he is a liability, and I certainly don't think he is going to cost us a Superbowl. Our reliance on rookies will be sure to handle that little detail.

I think Herring will be more than adequate (although he will not be what he was to those Superbowl teams... age is catching up with him). I've said it before, and I'll say it again... the reason we are weak here is our lack of depth.

If all our starters played every down this season without getting tired and no injuries we will be a great Defense, but since that will not happen, I am concerned about what teams are going to do to our lowly backups, because the depth at DT and S just isn't there.

great just what I need is another Bengals insider troll, first of all its an opinion no one will know who ius right are wrong til the season comes. Second of all I post my opinions to talk football not to troll people out. Third this site is way better than the insider site these guys actualy talk football.

I think Madieu will be an average Strong Safety but he could be a superstar at Free Safety, that is why they will leave him at FS. Herring will get every chance in the world to take the SS job, and next year in the draft they will get someone.

When we drafted Tab Perry, I initially thought it was as a 'project' to re-convert him to strong safety . . . he appears to have all the tools.

Great posts by all, However  Herring doesnt  cut it in my opinion. Maybe Im wrong which I hope but we have a hole in the middle of the field and that could cost us a super bowl. IMHO

You must have only followed Herring last season, you know, when he was injured most of the season, and never fully healthy... When our defensive line wasn't getting the job done because they were injured, and our corners and safeties were being interchanged weekly because of injuries....

You can't count Herring out. He's a good player who had an off year.

Saying we should move Madieu, one of the future top free safeties in the league to strong safety, where his coverage skills will be wasted and he will have to change his body to be more of a force against the run is pure ignorance.

Thanks for the info big O I didnt know Herring was hurt last year. As for your insult its a long offseason and not really much to talk about so before you start being an arse remember these are all opinions.

Yes, it's all opinions. However, there are different types of opinions. There is the informed opinion of a fan, the informed opinion of the press, the extremely informed opinion of the coaching staff, and the utterly uninformed opinion. Your opinions, if you didn't know that Herring was injured last season, are entirely and utterly uninformed. We also refer to such opinions as asinine, idiotic, dumb, and foolish.

The informed press isn't sure about Herring, but they aren't negative either. The informed fans are split across the Herring will be fine and we should have drafted someone we didn't draft or signed someone we didn't sign opinions.

The extremely informed coaching staff has made it clear. Herring is the starter, we didn't NEED to sign a free agent or draft a new guy. We aren't looking for an in the box safety, we need a coverage safety and bigger stronger faster linebackers to prevent the runs from getting to the 8th man.

Frankly, I'm sticking with Marvin. If Herring is his man, he's my man too.