milton stinks

jditty47

why is he still starting? why hasnt he been sent for assignment? i mean my god, another game where he gives up 7 runs...thats just ridiculous...and it happens all the time when he pitches. im tired of it...he has got to be our weakest link on our team now.

Milton, who got a three-year, $25.5 million deal, has been one of the NL's most disappointing pitchers. He leads the league in homers (22) and earned runs (58) allowed, skyrocketing his ERA to 7.46.

i guess im the only one that cares about this.

i guess miley and the owner sat down with the team before this series that they need to win now...the hitting has picked up but the pitching is still shiiittay.

oh and graves is about to sign with the mets....good...ridd...ance.

06/09/2005 7:01 PM ET

Notes: Milton's confidence tested

Struggling left-hander not in Cincinnati's doghouse

By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Eric Milton's confidence in himself is long gone.

"I can't say I have much confidence," he said Wednesday night after allowing the Devil Rays seven runs and eight hits in five innings. "I'm just not getting the job done."

But the Reds still have confidence in the left-handed Milton. He's scheduled to make his next start Monday at Boston.

If the team has had any thoughts of pulling Milton out of the rotation and giving him a rest, as they did with Paul Wilson last month, or putting him in the bullpen, it hasn't said so publicly.

"It's certainly a possibility," general manager Dan O'Brien said. "But not at this point."

Manager Dave Miley declined to comment in depth on that possibility Thursday afternoon, saying only that "[Milton's] not the only pitcher in the big leagues who's struggling."

While that's true, few have struggled to the extent of the Reds' $25.5 million man.

Milton leads all of baseball in runs allowed (63), earned runs (58) and homers (22) allowed. He leads the National League in hits allowed (96) and is tied for the league lead in losses with seven. He also ranks among NL leaders in wild pitches with five.

In 70 innings pitched, Milton has compiled a 3-7 record and a 7.46 ERA. That's the second-highest ERA in the Majors, behind the Royals' Jose Lima (8.39) among pitchers with at least 50 innings of work.

The Reds signed Milton to a three-year contract in the offseason with the hope that he would shore up what was a shaky rotation in '04. But he's been the shakiest of all this year.

Needless to say, that fact has come as a shock to O'Brien and company.

"There's nothing in his career that comes even remotely close to approximating what has transpired," O'Brien said. "But in the long run, Major League players usually play to their career norm, over time."

Milton didn't look to be on that path during Wednesday night's outing against the Devil Rays. Though he looked solid -- for the most part -- through four innings, he blew up in a six-run fifth which saw Eduardo Perez became the second player this season to launch a grand slam off Milton.

But Milton said his lack of confidence and frustration over his performance doesn't affect his mindset on the mound.

"It's the time in between," he said. "It's right now and however many days until I get out there and pitch again. It eats at you for a few days. That's the toughest part."

Take it EZ: Right-hander Elizardo Ramirez headed back down to Triple-A Louisville on Thursday to make room for Luke Hudson on the 25-man roster.

Hudson was officially reinstated from the 15-day disabled list to make the start Thursday against Tampa Bay.

Ramirez, whose teammates call him "EZ," made five appearances with the Reds, including three starts. He went 0-3 with a 6.75 ERA and had thrown just one inning over the last two weeks.

In short, the 22-year-old Ramirez needed regular work.

"He'll pitch out of the rotation down there," Miley said.

Hall of Fame weekend: Outfielder Eric Davis and right-hander Jose Rijo will be on hand Saturday for their induction into the Reds Hall of Fame. Also inducted will be 19th Century stars Harry Wright and George Wright.

The ceremony will take place before Saturday's 7:10 p.m. ET game against the Orioles. The event will begin at 6:35 p.m.

Davis and Rijo were voted into the Hall by Reds fans this past winter.

Davis, a two-time All-Star, spent nine of his 17 seasons with the Reds, finishing his career with a .269 batting average, 282 home runs, 934 RBIs and 349 stolen bases.

Rijo, an All-Star in 1994, spent 10 of his 14 seasons with the Reds. He owns a career record of 116-91 with a 3.24 ERA. He's best remembered for going 2-0 with a 0.59 ERA to earn MVP honors in the 1990 World Series sweep of the A's.

The Wright brothers were selected by the Hall of Fame veterans committee.

Harry Wright served as captain of the Red Stockings from 1866-70. He was elected into the National Baseball Hall of Fame as an executive in 1953. George Wright played shortstop for the Red Stockings for two seasons. He hit .633 in 1869 and .536 in 1870. He went into the Hall of Fame as an executive in 1937.

Hot enough for ya?: Talking about the weather can often be the bane of human existence, but the Cincinnati humidity has been impossible to ignore on this homestand.

As he stepped off the field after an early batting practice session Thursday, a sweaty Jacob Cruz was shaking his head.

"When are they putting the roof on this place?" Cruz said.

On rehab: There will be a glut of shortstops at Louisville soon.

Anderson Machado and Ray Olmedo will join the Bats on rehab assignments Friday. Both have been on the disabled list all season.

Machado is coming back from a left knee injury, while Olmedo is returning from a right elbow injury.

Reds report: Rich Aurilia was back in the starting lineup at shortstop Thursday, giving Felipe Lopez a day of rest. Aurilia is batting .273 with two homers and five RBIs in six games since coming off the DL. ... For just the third time in franchise history and the second time since 1900, the Reds posted consecutive wins in games in which they trailed by at least five runs. The other comebacks took place on May 20-21, 1897 and Aug. 23-24, 1918.

Down on the farm: Right-hander Steve Kelly continued his strong year in the Louisville rotation, allowing just one run on six hits over eight innings in the Bats' 6-1 win over Charlotte on Wednesday. Kelly improved to 5-2 with a 2.85 ERA. Right fielder Chris Denorfia, who homered in the game, is hitting .351 in 12 games since joining the Bats. ... Left-hander Ben Kozlowski looked sharp in Double-A Chattanooga's 3-2 win over Huntsville. Kozlowski (3-1) allowed just two runs on five hits over six innings. D'Angelo Jimenez is hitting just .245 in 14 games since joining the Lookouts.

On deck: The Reds open up a three-game Interleague set with the Orioles at 7:10 p.m. ET Friday at Great American Ball Park. This will be the first meeting of the two clubs since the 1970 World Series, which the Orioles won in five games.

Right-hander Aaron Harang (4-3, 3.48 ERA) will get the start against right-hander Rodrigo Lopez (4-2, 4.60 ERA).

Why would the Reds send this guy out there if he has no confidence in hisself. I know why, money, no way the Reds will justify having a 25 million dollar bullpen arm. Milton is horrible, he has always had a high ERA, now he is pitching terrible.

Why would the Reds send this guy out there if he has no confidence in hisself. I know why, money, no way the Reds will justify having a 25 million dollar bullpen arm. Milton is horrible, he has always had a high ERA, now he is pitching terrible.

I never got signing a guy that's notorious for giving up homers to a team that plays in a ballpark notorious for giving up homers. That one didn't make sense to me.

Absolutely a joke!!! The Reds react to the Cards signing Mark Mulder, former Cy Young winner by signing the only other lefty FA that has Starting experience. No matter that he led the NL in HR allowed last year. Paul Wilson was the most consistent starter on the team last year, when he was healthy. They scored a lot of runs for him last year. That is more of an indictment of the staff than praise for PW. Yet they gave him a big contract and make him the number 1 starter on the staff. Ho many of his wins were 7-5 or 6-5.

No improvement has been made after firing Bowden. O'Brien is an exact replica of Bowden. Wilson, Ortiz and Milton picked up off the MLB scrap heap. Weathers, Weber and Mercker in the bullpen. There is a reason they were available. No one wanted them.

I am of the opinion that the whole staff should now be fired for continuing to send Milton back out there. What 5 runs through 5 innings aren't enough, let's send him out there again to give up 2 more runs and put the game out of reach for the team. It is absolutely sad to watch Milton leave the ball up and out over the plate every game and get spanked and give up 7 runs.

That sad part is nobody else wants him and they gave this guy 8 million a year.

Add another gem to Milton's resume after tonight's stellar performance.

I wish this was football and we could dump this guy and Wilson and Ortiz. Looks like we are stuck unless someone (maybe the Yankees) will take one of them off of our hands before the trading deadline.

The way it's looking right now, with Wilson getting surgery and Milton pitching his way out of any possible trade scenarios. Best bet is we cut our losses, pick up half of his salary and get some scrub in return.

If we just had starting pitchers that could give up 4 runs or less a start the Reds would win most of the time.

Hey now guy's! Not too much upsetting negative talk about the Reds because, uh...well because... :blink: ...Sorry, I can't think of a reason not to either! Let em' have it! :lol:

26 wins and 37 losses :angry: ...and the beat goes on, and the beat goes on...