The Liberal Thread

Kirkendall

I switched my registration from independent to democrat a few years back so I could cast a vote in the dem primary against uber-liberal zillionaire John Corzine when he was first running for Senate. He won, but the dems have mostly kept him from causing trouble by making him their fund-raising machine.

Now he just won the alleged democratic primary (he basically threatened every other potential dem candidate with complete ostraization if they dared oppose him, so it was basically one of those Soviet runner stamp primaries) for NJ gov. He'll be running against another zillionaire businessman (notice a pattern here? :angry: ), Doug Forrester, who is basically former gov. Christie Todd Whitman without the (small) boobs.

It's only day 1 past the primary and things have already turned into a Santa-fest: Forrester has promised he'll cut property taxes (THE big issue) by 30% (no details on how this will be paid for, of course). Meanwhile, Corzine won't lower property taxes, but will increase the state's property tax rebates by 40%.

50%? Do I hear 50%? Going once, going twice... :wacko:

Because the party is voting for their candidate and it removes other entities from voting for a guy (or woman) the party chooses. The preliminaries are a party thing, not a general election.

The outcome of the preliminaries impacts the general election does it not? Why shouldn't people have a say in what impacts them if they register "Independant?" So much for "Power to the People" I suppose.

I'm just so against the whole political "party" scene. Too many valid issues are lost or corrupted in the war of rhetoric between these two camps, and has turned our election system into a complete and utter farce...IMHO of course.

He'll be running against another zillionaire businessman (notice a pattern here?  ), Doug Forrester, who is basically former gov. Christie Todd Whitman without the (small) boobs.

:o WTF? That is some scary s**t! :blink:

Because the party is voting for their candidate and it removes other entities from voting for a guy (or woman) the party chooses.  The preliminaries are a party thing, not a general election.

The outcome of the preliminaries impacts the general election does it not? Why shouldn't people have a say in what impacts them if they register "Independant?" So much for "Power to the People" I suppose.

It's never been about the power of the people. Electorial college has more of a say than the people that vote. President Bush's first election is an example of that. President, and follow Ohioian, Benjamin Harrison is an example of that. It's just the way it's always been.

But I absolutely postively 100% agree the two-party system needs a new member. This GOP vs. Dems is getting a little too ridicious (I mean politics has always been ridiculous but this is ridiculous). ^_^^_^

Well, I'm not sure how you can think their core fical beliefs haven't changed when you go on to admit the administration hasn't been fiscally conservative. Unless, of course, you're suggesting that the Bush Administration never had fiscally conservative beliefs to begin with, in which case I would agree completely.

Yes. That's it. I've never thought that the current administration has had fiscally conservative beliefs. If this turns into a trend such that the other fiscal conservatives follow suit because it is "inevitable," then I will say that the core beliefs of fiscal conservatism have changed.