Who do you think the bengals would have drafted?

Kazkal

"nods" I vote for pollack but I wonder if we would have picked davis eh.

Noway Pollack would have been there at #48 either I know the browns were thinking about trading down & picking him up in the 1st.

Though M.williams,brian simmons,landon johnson,thomas davis,odell thurman would be a nice lineup I'm still happy we got pollack he will be a play maker + a leader.

accorinding to 1360 on draft day they were saying that if davis was there he was gonna be there man then it was pollack

remember hearin the same thing...glad we got pollack though...he just makes me feel like there won't be ANY problem at his position...love the guy.

Yeah, I figured we'd get Davis, but I'm glad we got Pollack. I got a feeling this dude might be around for a while.

Got to agree with you here ...

I do think that we would have taken Davis if he would have been there.

Mostly due to need and by the way we would have drafted Davis as a SS.

But I am very happy with the way it turned out.

In fact I have a feeling that we may have gotten the best defensive Player of the whole Draft.

Let's Hope that he turns out to be as Good as we think he can be ...

I'm happy with Pollack more than Davis may have made me because Pollack is the all around awesome draft pick--no character issues, explosive player, great personality, and high intelligence. Combined with the other linebackers, this team could have a top linebacking corps in years to come.

I think hands down it would have been Pollack regardless. He was my number one overall player in the draft, so you just can't pass on that at # 17 !

Davis would have been nice, And Derrick Johnson was real close there for a moment too, but Pollack offers more, with his athleticism and his pass rushing skills.

* - It will be very interesting over the next few seasons to mirror Erasmus James and Pollack though. If James becomes the stud pass rusher / without the injuries and all, there will still be the mix of " we should have taken a pure pass rusher " etc. etc...

But just in case our defensive tackles are sucky' again this year... there should be more than enough in next year's draft that's for sure, DT should be the deepest part of the '06 draft. :player:

accorinding to 1360 on draft day they were saying that if davis was there he was gonna be there man then it was pollack

Yup. That's what I heard too. Davis was 1 and Pollack 1A. They would have been happy with either.

After the draft there seemed to be no doubt that had Davis been there he would have been the pick. But I'm very glad it turned out this way. I'm not sure they would have taken Odell in the second without Pollack, who Odell clearly respects, being the pick in the first round. I think the draft turned out fantastic. Of course I wasn't on the Davis bandwagon cuz I thought he was too big to play safety and too small for LB. Time will tell.

Had you made this survey "Pollack or Derrick Johnson" I would have voted Johnson.....I wass screaming at the TV for the Bengals to trade up to 14 (and then 15) when he fell that far so they could get him.

I'm thrilled with Pollack, but would have even happier still with Johnson....

(aside: heh, we seem to have some good luck with players by that name)

This seems like a meaningless conversation to me. I understand, I guess, but we got Pollack... and frankly I am happy about it. On draft day I wanted Thomas Davis, but he wasn't there. We Got Pollack, and now I am even happier than I thought I could have been with Davis.

That said... even if I wasn't thrilled, it still isn't anything that matters now. The picks we have, we are stuck with, whether we like them, love them, or hate them. My take: "Love them"

Pollak was the last real thing on the board at that time,Davis might have been taken because it was a bigger need.

According to YOU. According to Marvin, Pollack was the pick regardless of Davis being there. Davis was projected as a linebacker anyway, a small linebacker, as opposed to a big fast one in Pollack.

I'm sure davis is faster then pollack :P

If I had been able to draft Id have drafted some more linebackers that can tackle and get thru the lanes that the D-linemen make to put pressure on opposing QB's so the corners dont have to cover all day long on a single play! but first Id have restructured my d-line to fit the capabilities of all the linemen and finally gone out a signed a runstopping clogger for the tackle posittion.. that may have worked...

If I had been able to draft Id have drafted some more linebackers that can tackle and get thru the lanes that the D-linemen make to put pressure on opposing QB's so the corners dont have to cover all day long on a single play! but first Id have restructured my d-line to fit the capabilities of all the linemen and finally gone out a signed a runstopping clogger for the tackle posittion.. that may have worked...

Sorry walshfan. The key part of that is "if you had drafted", thing is Marvin says he does not want 350 lb DTs unless they are like he had in Baltimore. Siragusa and Adams were hustlers that did not and were not stationary objects. John Thornton has lost weight to be "quicker and more agile", partly because of moving to the left side.

He also said he thought Pollack could be a MLB in a 3-4 like Belichick plays in NE. He puts Pollack in a category like Bruschi and McGinest who were DE in college.

Now on T. Davis, Marvin has stated on numerous occasions he does not want a true strong safety. His defense employs a virtual 2 free safety set. No in-the box type like Polamalu or Archuleta or Roy Williams-Dallas. They are like 4th LBs. Ask them to cover like Dallas did with Williams against us last year they become very average. So Pollack was the obvious first choice.

Now TJJackson, I do not think we will ever see the Bengals trade up again. Never say never. It appears to me the Lewis regime will wait to see who falls to them. I personally think trading multiple picks to move up for 1 player that may bust like Ki-Jana Carter. Woulda, coulda, shoulda used the 2nd round pick on Cory Raymer or Zach Weigert or Christian Fauria. Anyone that may have contributed. I ould have loved to have gotten Joey Galloway that year.