Who's Ready for June 1st?

NJ29

Tomorrow, the outlook of the entire team could change. Nate could be gone, P-Dub could be gone, as could Squirrel boy and others. And we could pick up a few new players that could help the team out. Any thoughts?

Who-Dey

:player:

It's a possibility that Webster will be gone, but I highly dought that P Dub will be. I'm thinking the only position that we could use more help in is SS but there isn't any real big SS on the market except for Lance Schulters which isn't even as good as KH and they are the same age, 30.

If you guys know of anymore SS out there that would be a good fit for ML's D let me know.

Tomorrow, the outlook of the entire team could change. Nate could be gone, P-Dub could be gone, as could Squirrel boy and others. And we could pick up a few new players that could help the team out. Any thoughts?

Who-Dey

:player:

Not bloody likely. I doubt ANYONE big gets cut prior to preseason. Yes, we will lose a couple more guys to get to the roster maximum, but it won't be shockers.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...020406/1066/SPT

Thursday, June 2, 2005

Warrick, Webster may avoid late cuts

By Mark Curnutte

Enquirer staff writer

NFL teams once cut a significant number of players after June 1.

Waiting until June 1 allowed teams to absorb remaining signing bonus values - though the money had been paid years earlier - on their salary caps in the current calendar year and the next.

The Bengals released quarterback Akili Smith on June 2, 2003, in order to absorb what remained of his $10.8 million signing bonus in 2004, as well.

These days, though, teams are more likely to release a player even before June 1 and take the salary-cap hit in full now instead of later. That group doesn't include the Washington Redskins, who were expected to cut three pricey, underachieving veterans to save some $4 million to help sign rookie draft picks.

The Bengals already have done some cutting, primarily letting go of veteran linebacker Kevin Hardy on April 3. That move saved the team the $2.6 million base salary he was due this coming season but left it to absorb $1.75 million of the $3.5 million signing bonus he received in April 2003.

The lack of activity in the Bengals' front office Wednesday means wide receiver Peter Warrick is expected to get the chance to play if he recovers from knee and shin injuries suffered in 2004, and linebacker Nate Webster probably will get the opportunity to show if he can come back from two operations to repair patellar tendon damage.

"It's all a matter of being healthy," Warrick said Wednesday.

Webster was typically optimistic, even after the Bengals invested their first two draft picks this year on linebackers David Pollack and Odell Thurman.

"It's a help for us," Webster said. "Everybody (at linebacker) had surgery last year except ... nobody."

The salary cap for players for the season per team is $85.5 million. The Bengals are believed to be $4.8 million under.

That 4.8 million may come in handy in picking up some cap casualty cuts. Anyone know what the rookie allotment is for our draft picks this year? I am very sure it is a lot less than 4.8 mil, especially since we picked middle of tha pack this year. The strong safety may in fact be one such casualty, and Herring may be bye bye.

So happy to still see Warrick and Webster on the team...why cut them what's the piont? Were under the cap we can't possibly bring in any for cheap that could be better players... and better yet they know the system!!!!!!!

After they recover I expect great things from the both of them.

Why would you guys wanna bring in crap players? were not going to have much room after we sign rookies so we woulden't be able to get any stars anywayst .I would rather see the bengals extend contracts for justin smith,Big willie &levi who are going to be free agents in 2006.(if I'm not mistaken were gonna have over 10 FA's next year)

PS,Cutting webster doesn't give us much cap room so he will probbley stay just to have depth incase we have guys drop like flys again.